Thread: SANZAR to make final law call

vCash

SANZAR to make final law call

SANZAR to make final law call
    Planet Rugby Tuesday 20th November 2007

Tough Call: Experimental Law Variations (ELVs) to be or not to be?

SANZAR, the ruling body for Tri-Nations and Super 14 tournaments, will ultimately make the final call on whether the some if any of the Experimental Law Variations (ELVs) are implemented in the 2008 Super 14 season.

The International Rugby Board (IRB) on Tuesday indicated that, although they encouraged it, the decision to implement the ELVs in the Super 14 wasn't theirs to make.

"It's up to SANZAR itself," IRB spokesman Greg Thomas told Rugby Heaven in Tuesday.

The Southern Hemisphere rugby fraternity is slightly anxious about the fact that a final decision on whether to adopt some of the ELVs had not been made although many teams had already started their pre-season preparations in earnest.

However, Thomas doesn't feel that should present a problem at all.

"Other competitions we've put them [the laws] into have had less than two or three-month build-ups. Some put them in at a week's notice. You've got to remember these aren't major law changes. They're variations on existing laws. It really doesn't take long for players to adapt," said Thomas.

The laws have been applied in New Zealand's B division and in the inaugural Australian Rugby Championship (ARC). In both instances there was very little negative feed-back, but many of the New Zealand Super 14 coaches feel that there are some laws that have no place in Rugby Union.

"We would love to see SANZAR trial them, but it's up to them," added Thomas, who hinted that there could be attempts to globalise the ELVs after the Super 14 if they were a success.

What the ELVs do bring to the game is more flowing and positive rugby. New Zealand's Super 14 coaches, who all met to discuss the ELVs last month agreed that there was a lot of positive to take from some of the new laws and Thomas shared the same sentiment.

"A lot of people realise the need for a little bit of tweaking on the laws, and this is a tweak not major change. All the stats show the same number of scrums, rucks and line-outs. All we're trying to do at this moment in time is put the power and decision-making back into the hands of the player with the ball. We want players to dictate the outcome of games, not so much the subjectivity of the laws," explained Thomas.

A big concern for SANZAR at the moment though is the uncertainty on whether the laws would apply in international competition apart from the Tri-Nations and Super 14 tournaments next year.

"We are looking for continuity," SANZAR tournament director Peter Rowles told media in Australia.

"We could be in a situation where we play under the new laws [for Super 14], the old laws [home Tests] and the new laws again [Tri-Nations]," added Rowles last week.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    A rather weak performance by the IRB I would think. They should ultimately make the call as the S14/Tri Nations are IRB-sanctioned tournaments and similarly, the summer tours are IRB-sanctioned tests. Their hand ball back to SANZAR has left the door open to a potential NH v SH spat over what rules should be used.

vCash
    Yes, you're right Kenya, the IRB needs to step up and take the lead on this, even if it's not a popular decision.

To be honest, I'm finding international games quite frustrating if it's a fairly even match up. To have a world cup final with NO tries scored is beyond stupid. I don't watch Rugby to see Jonny Bloody WIlkinson poking his bum out at odd angles before he kicks another goal, it's just plain BORING. I want (and I think most rugby fans want) more open, running, attacking rugby, not this constant stopping for penalty kicks garbage.

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheik Yerbouti View Post
    I don't watch Rugby to see Jonny Bloody WIlkinson poking his bum out at odd angles before he kicks another goal, it's just plain BORING.
    Well with a name like Shake Ya Bootie, some would think otherwise

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KenyaQuin View Post
    A rather weak performance by the IRB I would think.
    They just dont wont to take the blame if the shit hits the fan!!! I agree, they need to grow some balls if they have the job.

BLACK IS THICKER THAN BLOOD

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The InnFORCEr View Post
    Well with a name like Shake Ya Bootie, some would think otherwise
    i prefer shaking of women's booties

vCash
    Seldom, it's not about fans and shit, they're setting us up for a flat refusal to allow those rules during trans-hemisphere tests.

Quite nice considering some would argue that they asked SANZAR to consider trialling the ELVs in the first place.

Pr!x

C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheik Yerbouti View Post
    Yes, you're right Kenya, the IRB needs to step up and take the lead on this, even if it's not a popular decision.

To be honest, I'm finding international games quite frustrating if it's a fairly even match up. To have a world cup final with NO tries scored is beyond stupid. I don't watch Rugby to see Jonny Bloody WIlkinson poking his bum out at odd angles before he kicks another goal, it's just plain BORING. I want (and I think most rugby fans want) more open, running, attacking rugby, not this constant stopping for penalty kicks garbage.
    The anti-English sentiment (or is it just anti-Jonny?) is amazing......have another look at the RWC final......JW didn't kick as many goals as the Saffer kicker. Before you throw stones (and we all know your lot like nothing better than a good stoning!) try picking the right target!!! (Bulldog, where are you?!)

The ARC was not the only 2nd-tier competition to test the ELVs (in 2nd-tier, I mean the level below provincial rugby which, in turn, is a level below international) - they were also tested in Scotland.

It is up to the IRB to decide what laws are introduced, amended and removed.....not SANZAR. There is a world of rugby outside of the southern hemisphere.

CHEERLEADERS ROCK!!!

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JediKnight View Post
    There is a world of rugby outside of the southern hemisphere.

No No No Jedi....there WAS a world of rugy outside the southern hemisphere

iRB HTFU and make a decision.

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    SANZAR, the ruling body for Tri-Nations and Super 14 tournaments, will ultimately make the final call on whether the some if any of the Experimental Law Variations (ELVs) are implemented in the 2008 Super 14 season.
    when is the ultimate final call

vCash
    2 Feb?

C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GiteauIsGunnaScoreTwenty View Post
    2 Feb?
    my birthday! it would be a great present.

vCash
    That's the date of the first trial game isn't it sheik?

C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JediKnight View Post
    It is up to the IRB to decide what laws are introduced, amended and removed.....not SANZAR. There is a world of rugby outside of the southern hemisphere.
    I think most of us agree, JK. So why don't they have the balls to do so? All that would be required is to rule that all international tests and tournaments in the SH during 2008 will be under the ELV's.

vCash
    or not, then SANZAR can make an informed decision!

C'mon the