Thread: Aussie rugby heads towards off-season drug testing

Legend Contributor Flamethrower's Avatar
    vCash

Aussie rugby heads towards off-season drug testing

Aussie rugby heads towards off-season drug testing
    SMH | Thursday, 22 November 2007
    http://www.stuff.co.nz/4284206a1823.html

There are moves within Australian rugby to introduce out-of-competition testing for illicit drugs in the aftermath of recent controversies involving Aussie rules star Ben Cousins and retired rugby league great Andrew Johns.

The Rugby Union Players Association is canvassing its membership on the proposal and says it is in discussion with the Australian Rugby Union about testing for drugs such as cocaine, marijuana and ecstasy.

The proposal is still in its infancy and not yet in blueprint form, but RUPA chief executive Tony Dempsey is confident all the parties could come to an agreement on a policy by February or March.

"We are confident that the use of illicit drugs by our professional players is not a problem that is endemic in the game," Dempsey said.

"But we recognise that an illicit drug testing policy is needed because there may be perception [it is a problem] among the public and that it may act as a deterrent for players in the future.

"I am confident that the players will support it. The RUPA board already has. There is just the devil in the detail to sort out."

Dempsey said the RUPA regarded the move as "proactive". But he admitted that scandals involving Cousins and Johns "had put the issue at the forefront of our attention".

"It would be naive to ignore other sports. But we also need to be cognisant of the need to be prepared to be proactive in the changing environment," he said.

Dempsey also said the policy would aim to educate players about the dangers of illicit drug use, address the rehabilitation of any guilty offenders, determine suitable sanctions of players and protect the image of the game.

Issues to be addressed include: who would pay for the tests, who would carry them out, how regular and extensive would they be and would they involve blood or urine or both?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Posted via space

Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

vCash
    good to see rugby take the inititive to stay at the forefront of player welfare, even if only to protect the image of the game. Rugby IMHO has a more clear cut approach to these problems with clear guidlines and punishments for players and officials alike.

<>

vCash
    Agreed Krusher - especially that when a rugby player is banned, he's banned from all forms of the game - it's a real punishment

Laugh and the world laughs with you.......
    ......cry and you'll weaken your beer

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    I'm glad they are being proactive about this issue.

I'll be sure to ask the players in the next round of interviews what their thoughts are as well.

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    that would be interesting tif, i cant wait to see the players perspectives on this topic

<>

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Krusher View Post
    good to see rugby take the inititive to stay at the forefront of player welfare, even if only to protect the image of the game. Rugby IMHO has a more clear cut approach to these problems with clear guidlines and punishments for players and officials alike.
    I agree totally. Better not to have the massive negative media. Let the AFL have the sinking ship. Might help out our stadium plans with a clean sport!!!

BLACK IS THICKER THAN BLOOD

vCash
    The thing that stands out to me is that this is an initiative announced by the player's association. I suspect strongly that the ARU will jump at the opportunity to implement such a plan when the players are asking for it, however this is simply an indicator of the feeling of the rugby community towards drugs in society. I wonder how the NRL Players Association would react to such a suggestion, I'm pretty sure the AFL Players Association would be totally opposed to any testing for any drug that isn't performance enhancing.

C'mon the

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash

Feel free to test us for drugs - McKenzie

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,...-23217,00.html
    November 23, 2007

NSW Waratahs players and staff have thrown their support behind a move for off-season testing of illicit drugs such as cocaine, marijuana and ecstasy.

Waratahs coach Ewen McKenzie said the game's stakeholders couldn't afford to "put their heads in the sand" and needed to adopt a united policy.

"When the wheel turns in life you have to be pro-active in responding to it and we are prepared to do that," McKenzie said. "We have been fairly productive in the whole thing."

McKenzie said the Waratahs have a history of wanting to be at the cutting edge in terms of discipline.

"So we are comfortable with any directions in that area," he said.

The Rugby Union Players Association is currently canvassing its members and in discussions with the ARU about the introduction of the out-of-competition testing.

"I think the principle is a good one, I don't think you want to have mixed messages on these things," McKenzie said.

"Everyone understands you have to set high standards - and when people talk about that we like to have our name up there with it."

He said the Waratahs board, staff and players have spoken about what has become a major issue in all sports around the world.

"We have a board and a team that are actually on the same page in terms of discipline," McKenzie said.

"It makes sense to talk to the other parties involved in rugby to make sure we are not heading off in different directions.

"The last thing we want is confusion. It would be nice if we could get some common, logical but respected approach to it all."

He said rugby wants to be seen at the higher end of transparency in these matters and that the only way to do that was by being "open and willing".

McKenzie said the profile of the illicit drugs has become more prevalent in society, with people reading and hearing about them every day in the news.

He said the Waratahs have obviously been close to it in relation to the case of winger Wendell Sailor, who received a ban after testing positive to cocaine.

"I don't think it is a massive issue. But I also don't think you can put your head in the sand and say 'it doesn't happen here'," he said.

"We have to get the detail right, but there has been a fairly open response from the playing group about that transparency."

He said any system to be introduced would have to be beyond reproach. "You are talking about people's lives and livelihoods so you can't go in half-hearted," McKenzie said.

"You have to have your protocols right so it is beyond question.

"And those are the things we are working on at the moment and I don't think we are far away."

RUPA CEO Tony Dempsey was confident all parties could come to an agreement on the policy by February or March.

Dear Lord, if you give us back Johnny Cash, we'll give you Justin Bieber.

vCash
    Time for Mitch and Sharpie to stand up for a joint press conference to support this cause. It'll really be a boost for Rugby in the WA media (If it gets reported over here that is, you wouldn't want the AFL to look like an incompetent bunch of wankers)

C'mon the

Legend Contributor Flamethrower's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GiteauIsGunnaScoreTwenty View Post
    you wouldn't want the AFL to look like an incompetent bunch of wankers)
    Me thinks they have past that point

Posted via space

Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach View Post
    "When the wheel turns in life you have to be pro-active in responding to it and we are prepared to do that," McKenzie said. "We have been fairly productive in the whole thing."

McKenzie said the Waratahs have a history of wanting to be at the cutting edge in terms of discipline.
    Waratahs might want to be at the cutting edge in terms of discipline but when it involves their 'star' players, they're fall a long way short (just like they do in the final analysis of the Super14 table!!!!).

CHEERLEADERS ROCK!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Flamethrower View Post
    Me thinks they have past that point
    Sorry flame, would it have been better if I'd put a sarcasm smiley after that one!

C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JediKnight View Post
    Waratahs might want to be at the cutting edge in terms of discipline but when it involves their 'star' players, they're fall a long way short (just like they do in the final analysis of the Super14 table!!!!).
    They WANT to be at the cutting edge in terms of discipline because they are aware they wouldn't have a blood clue right now!

C'mon the

vCash
    Waratahs are better than the Force still though. Its tough for the Force to deal with that but, hey, whatareyagunnado?

Laura Force Addict v Chook scrabble-off on Facebook: laura & Force Addict 0 | chook 9

Gigsa made me do it

"He who conquers others is strong; he who conquers himself is mighty." – Lao Tzu

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    The Rugby Union Players Association is currently canvassing its members and in discussions with the ARU about the introduction of the out-of-competition testing.
    Having announced it, are they really going to come back and say "Sorry, but it turns out our members really hate the idea."?