Thread: Shepherd aiming for Wallabies

vCash

Shepherd aiming for Wallabies

Shepherd aiming for Wallabies
    Chris Pike Sportal
    Tuesday, November 20, 2007 - 16:27 PM (AEST)

Cameron Shepherd Cameron Shepherd might have been a late inclusion into the World Cup squad, but he felt the loss just as much and is now hoping the upcoming Investec Super 14 season with the Western Force can help him become the next Wallabies fullback.

With Chris Latham's future with the Wallabies unclear, Shepherd has his eyes focused on his fullback spot with the Australian team, and will be doing everything he can to cement himself there.

"Who knows how long he's (Latham) going to be out, but there's definitely a position opening up there. I've made it no secret that I want to be the next Wallaby fullback and I want to make that my spot for a long time," Shepherd said.

"I'm going to be working really hard to own that spot and play the best I can in the Super 14s. What Mitch thinks is going to be the best option is what he's going to go with and when it comes to playing with Drew Mitchell, I'm more than happy to play on the wing and so is he."

Coming off a knee injury, Shepherd was overlooked for the World Cup squad, but was called up when injuries ravaged the side in France and on the back of his superb form with the Perth Spirit in the Mazda Australian Rugby Championship. He felt the loss to England, though, as did all Australians.

"It was hard. After such a good start to the season, then get injured, and then come in late was hard, but I just tried to be as much support to the boys as I could. Unfortunately, we did go out early and sometimes you don’t have control of those things," he said.

"Every Australian felt it. We are very passionate about what we do and especially when you lose to England, it is never nice. We now have four years to sort it out and make sure we do better next time."

As for the new Wallabies coach, Shepherd believes it adds excitement but sincerely hopes the appointment is of someone with a keen understanding of the group.

"With a new coach coming in, it's going to be really exciting. We have a lot to make up for after the World Cup and everyone is going to be pumped up to push for selection," he said.

"Someone has got to come in that suits the team, you can't just throw anyone in there. They have to have an understanding of what the boys are like. As long as someone comes in with original ideas and is passionate about the team, I think we are going to be successful."

With Alan Jones pushing himself as coach to help make the game more attractive, Shepherd isn't sure that is a role of a coach, but does hope some new rules come in, similar to what he experienced in the ARC.

"I don't know if that's a coaching role, or if it's the rules. At the moment, defence is such a huge part of the game that it makes it tough to play an open, free-flowing rugby game," he said.

"A lot of teams will not play in their own half because they are nervous about giving away penalties, turning over the ball and conceding seven points. I'm not so sure if it’s the coaching as much as the rules, but that could change this year to open the game up more."

"I did (enjoy the ARC rules), especially the kicking out of the 22. I don’t think the breakdown was something they'd bring into the Super 14s, as that slowed the game down, but some of the other rules were pretty special."

Shepherd is looking forward to the upcoming season with the Force and is confident winning it all is not out of reach in the third season of the Perth-based side.

"I just want to make sure I keep myself fit and healthy, stay on the field and help the boys as much as I can," he said.

"It's going to be a big year, I want to improve on last year and if everyone stays on the field we stand a good chance of making the semis and hopefully contending for the title."

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Go Shepherd, go...........

vCash
    it will be sad to see the back of latho, but weve got to look to the future, if hes fully fit shep should be an automatic choice at fullback.....