Thread: Mo'onia 1 df Gerrado 0

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Mo'onia 1 df Gerrado 0

Well done girls, an awesome effort in a fantastic match!
    Mark Gerrard now has to wait until 2011 to try and equal with his sister as a World Champion!

Aussies back on top of world

From correspondents in Auckland
    November 17, 2007

AUSTRALIA overcame defending champions New Zealand 42-38 in a thrilling world netball championship final to reclaim the crown and underline their status as the most successful team in history.

Chalking up their ninth netball world title, Australia's superior defence and lightning-fast passing game won the day, but only just.

The Silver Ferns pushed Australia all the way and with five minutes to go there was only one goal separating the two great rivals.

Captain Liz Ellis' outstanding defence proved decisive.

The veteran goalkeeper, playing in her fourth world championship, was relentless as she harried to disrupt supply to New Zealand's great strike weapon, shooter Irene van Dyk.

In an intense start to the match, New Zealand led early, with the Silver Ferns attacking Australia's fast-paced midcourt.

Australia sneaked ahead to lead 13-10 after the first quarter.

But in the second, Australia's defence stepped up with Ellis, backed by an in-form Selina Gilsenan and Mo'onia Gerrard.

Australia led 27-20 at half-time.

Things were not so good for the tournament favourites Australia in the second half, as Australia's shooters struggled.

Over the whole match, Australia's shooting accuracy was poor, at just 70 per cent compared to the Ferns' 83 per cent.

Catherine Cox led Australia's scoring making 27 from 38 and Sharelle McMahon made seven from 10.

Coach Norma Plummer replaced McMahon with youngster Susan Pratley in the second half and made more changes as New Zealand continued their fightback, before Pratley went off after copping a whack in the eye.

Plummer brought in Julie Prendergast at wing defence and shooter Natalie Medhurst before making another switch to bring back McMahon in place of Cox.

Despite the sell-out New Zealand crowd roaring on their side Australia held off the home team's late burst with McMahon stepping up to extend the margin to four goals at the end.

"What a fight," a relieved Ellis said.

"The Silver Ferns were always going to be a super opponent tonight and they fought back and fought back and at no stage of that game did we feel safe.

"But this team here we have worked incredibly hard – I think every team that came here did – but the heart and the soul and the fight in this team is unbelievable."

Plummer praised her triumphant team's superb defence.

"I can't say anything else, my stomach's in a knot," Plummer said.

"I think we didn't stop. Our defensive performance was just relentless."

Plummer said her decision to make so many gutsy changes right up to the end "wasn't difficult at all".

"We backed ourselves and I said I had the depth in the team," she said.

"And that's what I went for."

New Zealand are yet to win a title on home soil and have never won back-to-back championships, but coach Ruth Aitken was gracious in defeat, paying tribute to Australia and commending Australia's talent.

"They (New Zealand) gave it their all ... we fought, we fought, we fought, but we just weren't quite there in the end," she said.

AAP

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by Burgs; 18-11-07 at 11:32.
    "Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    There are at least three other Wallabies who had a sister playing in the Aussie netball team at around the same time. Her name is Marcia Ella.

Well done girls.

vCash
    I was listening on ABC radio, awesome contest...Well done girls, i hope you get the recognition you deserve...

Proudly bought to you by a brewery somewhere....

Champion
    vCash
    It was a great game, but I doubt that the girls will get much recognition from most of the public

vCash
    What's netball?

CHEERLEADERS ROCK!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JediKnight View Post
    What's netball?
    Something to keep the girls busy while we are at the pub?

Laura Force Addict v Chook scrabble-off on Facebook: laura & Force Addict 0 | chook 9

Gigsa made me do it

"He who conquers others is strong; he who conquers himself is mighty." – Lao Tzu

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    A fantastic match, well done to the Aussie girls. I knew it would be close, well I knew the Kiwi gilrs wouldn't coke.....they prefer to swallow!!!

And on news just out....congratulations to Liz Ellis the Aussie captain who has announced her retirement this morning.....an absolute champion and top aussie sheila!!

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!