New Welsh captain aiming high

13/11/2007 5:02:19 AM
PA Sport

Gethin Jenkins will be delighted if he can emulate the standards set by his predecessor Gareth Thomas as Welsh captain.

Jenkins was named as the new man to lead Wales, starting against world champions South Africa in this month's Prince William Cup match at the Millennium Stadium on November 24.

He became Wales' most capped prop at the World Cup when he took his tally to 52 caps - and he will be the 125th man to captain his country, taking over the captain's armband from Thomas.

"I've been in the Wales squad for the last five years and have played with some great players and also with some truly inspirational captains," he told the Welsh Rugby Union's website, www.wru.co.uk.

"But if I can achieve anything near what 'Alfie' [Thomas] has achieved in terms of his role as a leader then I'll be a happy man."

"If I can emulate his calmness under pressure and his ability to consistently raise standards or his leadership qualities and knack of defusing difficult situations on the pitch, then I'll be doing a pretty good job."

"Leading the team out at the Millennium Stadium, probably in front of a packed house of home fans and against the current Rugby World Cup champions will be a pretty special way to win my first cap as captain."

"It's their first game since winning the Cup, so the scalps aren't going to come much bigger than that for at least the next four years."

"As a team we are all relishing the opportunity to get back into it so quickly after the disappointment of our World Cup exit."

"When we pull on the red jersey again the memories will be refreshed, we will all still be hurting - and I can't think of any better way to ease the pain than to take it out on the Springboks."

Wales caretaker coach Nigel Davies, still in charge until Warren Gatland takes over in time for the South Africa match, is in no doubt Jenkins is the right man for the job.

"Anyone who knows or has worked with Gethin will tell you he sets high standards for himself and those around him," said Davies.

"We all talk about looking after the 'one per cents' as the way to get ahead in elite sport - and Gethin typifies the professional sportsman who lets nothing go by him."

"He's a 26-year-old with 50 caps, two World Cups and a British Lions tour under his belt - which shows his dedication in itself - and you only have to look at his ability to contribute to both sides of the front row to know you have something special as a player."

"For our meeting with South Africa, we need a captain who will galvanise the squad - someone who every player will be proud to stand in line behind and someone who strives for perfection in himself and those around him. Gethin fits the bill."

Jenkins, who turned 27 a week before his first match as captain, will become only the 11th front-row forward to lead Wales since World War II - and only the fourth prop in that time in succession to Duncan Jones, his regional coach Dai Young and John Lloyd.

He recalled: "When Nigel asked me to be his captain against South Africa I have to admit it came as a bit of a surprise - and I did take some time to think about it - but there was only ever going to be one answer."

"It's obviously a huge honour, probably the biggest in Welsh sport. But I wanted to be sure I could do justice to the responsibility."

"My goal as a player is to do everything to the highest of standards and this is no different."

"I had a chat with may dad, a few of the players who are close to me and with Dai Young, who has very much been there and done that - and in the end there was no way I was going to miss the opportunity."

"I just try to be the best team player I can be. It's a huge honour, and just to think of the players that have gone before me is pretty awe-inspiring in itself."