View Poll Results: Tip tonights scratch match result between the Western Force and the Cheetahs

Voters
7. This poll is closed
  • Force by more than 14 points

1 14.29%
  • Force by 1 to 14 points

2 28.57%
  • Draw

0 0%
  • Cheetahs by 1 to 14 points

1 14.29%
  • Cheetahs by more than 14 points

1 14.29%
  • The result doesn't bother me, it's just a scratch match.

2 28.57%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Western Force v Cheetahs

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Great shot Egan!!!
    Looking forward to more from you if that's your standard
    Hope that's not your season seat though mate?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Official Match Review

From www.rugbywa.com.au match review:

Sunday, January 22, 2006
    RugbyWA

The Emirates Western Force have played their first trial game, going down 29-19 to the Cheetahs at Subiaco Oval tonight.

In traditional trial match style, the team played expansive and attractive rugby, with members of the youthful backline enjoying the solid platform that had been laid by the forwards.

Coach John Mitchell was encouraged by the way his charges expressed themselves.

"We wanted the guys to have a go and not be inhibited," Mitchell said. "You can't win a flag playing one dimensional rugby; this team's not here to come second."

"The team has got self belief and they'll give it a crack."

Tai McIsaac, who captained the side in the absence of Nathan Sharpe and Scott Fava, was impressed by the form shown by his inexperienced forward pack against the seasoned Cheetahs line-up.

"Considering the experince we had, we did really well at the set piece," McIsaac said. "We gave it to them on their feed (into the scrum), and sometimes on ours."

The Emirates Westen Force will now travel to Melbourne and Auckland for away trial games against the Crusaders and Blues respectively.

EMIRATES WESTERN FORCE 19 - VODACOM CHEETAHS 29 - Full Time at Subiaco Oval, Perth.

8th Minute: The Emirates Western Force open the scoring with a penalty try. Try converted by Brock James.

12th Minute: The Cheetahs put their first points on the board with a penalty kick from Meyer Bosman.

14th minute: The Emirates Western Force score their second try of the night through Tim Davidson. Try converted by Brock James.

Quarter Time: Emirates Western Force 14 - Cheetahs 3

27th Minute: The Cheetahs are first to score in the second quarter with Meyer Bosman kicking a penalty.

32nd Minute: The Emirates Western Force substitute Angus Scott for Gareth Hardy, David Te Moana for AJ Whalley and Richard Brown for Matthew Hodgson.

34th minute: The Cheetahs score their second try through Juan Smith. Try converted by Meyer Bosman.

Half Time: Emirates Western Force 14 Cheetahs 13

41st Minute: The Cheetahs score the first points of the second half with a penalty to Meyer Bosman.

46th Minute: Emirates Western Force centre Haig Sare scores a try. Try not converted.

52nd Minute: Cheetahs score a try through Michael Classens. Converted by Meyer Bosman

Three Quarter Time: The Emirates Western Force 19 - The Cheetahs 23

61st Minute: The Western forces substitutes Gareth Hardy for Pek Cowan and Tajhon Mailata for Brett Stapleton.

65th Minute: Meyer Bosman penalty

72nd Minute: Meyer Bosman scores a penalty for the Cheetahs.

Full Time: Emirates Western 19 - Vodacom Cheetahs 29.

Emirates Western Force - Penalty Try, Davidson, Sare tries; James 2 conversions.

Vodacom Cheetahs: - Smith, Classens tries: Bosman 2 conversions, 5 penalties.

Crowd: 17,055

vCash
    That's a great picture Egan! What is the capacity of the stadium? Also it looks like the fans are prety far from the playing field, especially in the back. Do they use that stadium for other games that have a bigger field?

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Yeah Larry, it was built for Australian Rules Football back in 1908 and now has a capacity of a tad under 43,000, all seated. For footy matches the boundary is about five meters/yards from the fence.
    It is the home of the West Coast Eagles and Fremantle Dockers in the AFL and is/was (moving due to too much pressure on the grounds) Subiaco Lions FC in the WAFL.
    And now the WESTERN FORCE!!!

Senior Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs
    Great shot Egan!!!
    Looking forward to more from you if that's your standard
    Hope that's not your season seat though mate?
    Cheapskate Uni Student

Yep, will be in the third tier all year...will just have to learn who the players are by the TV.

Good game, enjoyed it, thanks for the comments on the photos.

Have done panoramas of many sports stadiums, so if you are a fan of looking at stadiums just PM me, have MCG, Olympic Park, Telstra Dome, WACA etc etc.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Man, you better take some tissues to stop the nose bleeds at that altitude!!!
    Looks like Whoopi Goldbergs seat in "Eddie"
    Just kidding mate, I was in a similar spot a couple of years ago to watch the International Rules match.
    You get some awesome noise come from the three tier stand so we'll have to put you in charge of firing up the top deck
    A wave of sound rolled down the pitch during last years National Anthem for the Wallabies match when the three tier decided to actually sing it, it was great, like a massive human megaphone!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Force impress in Super 14 trial defeat

From ninemsn

Sunday Jan 22 06:13 AEDT

Australia's newest rugby franchise showed it would be a force to be reckoned with in its debut season after the Western Force narrowly went down 29-19 to the Central Cheetahs in a Super 14 trial match in Perth.

Without any of their Wallaby recruits and with 19 Super 14 rookies getting their first run, the Force could have been excused for a heavy defeat to Rassie Erasmus' full-strength squad.

However the manner in which John Mitchell's band of rookies and imports handled themselves would be as pleasing to the club as the 17,055 who packed into Subiaco Oval.

Coming off a 48-0 mauling of the Southern Spears last weekend, the Cheetahs boasted four incumbent Springboks in their line-up, with Meyer Bosman, Michael Claasens, Os du Randt and Juan Smith all on show.

By contrast the Force included former water polo player Tai McIsaac, former soccer player Zander Peden and ex-NRL centre Josh Graham in their ranks.

Despite the disparity in experience, the Force had the better of the initial exchanges, with the boot of Brock James holding sway.

After a steepling cross kick just evaded Gavin DeBartolo on the left wing, another clever chip by the 24 year-old five-eighth split the Cheetahs' backline.

With full back James Hilgendorf favourite to touch down the bouncing ball, a deliberate obstruction by the retreating Cheetahs defender prompted referee Paul Marks to make history by awarding a penalty try as the Force's first five pointer.

After a Bosman penalty goal reduced the Cheetahs' (Force's?) advantage, the Force continued their stellar start, with a quick break by halfback Chris Oblong (I think they mean O'Young!!!)creating space for number eight Tim Davidson to pile over.

In the second quarter, the early season backline skills of the Force continued to impress, until a set move from a Cheetahs' line out saw skipper Smith charge over and cut the deficit to one at half time.

Another Bosman penalty gave the Cheetahs their first lead of the night just after the break, but the Force's run-at-all-costs tactics paid more dividends, when slick handling saw Haig Sare scamper over in the corner.

With powerhouses du Randt and Trevor Leota introduced into the Cheetahs front row, the visitors pack began to exert its authority with a rolling maul sending over halfback Claasens.

Bosman kicked a succession of second half penalties to secure the result, but the Force's running endeavour continued until the game's final play.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Egan
    Cheapskate Uni Student

Yep, will be in the third tier all year...will just have to learn who the players are by the TV.

Good game, enjoyed it, thanks for the comments on the photos.

Have done panoramas of many sports stadiums, so if you are a fan of looking at stadiums just PM me, have MCG, Olympic Park, Telstra Dome, WACA etc etc.

nah they good seats i reckon.... i bout the same spot... just to the right of the goal posts.
    we moved down right on pitch as it was empty.... to hard too tell if the players are at the 22 or the 10 when they donw the other end

i was actually quite chuffed with the seats

To some its a six-pack, to me it's a support group.

Its great Egan

Thanks very much for posting

... on the 6th day God played rugby and on the 7th day he rested, because he was sore and a little hungover.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Would suggest Egan, that if you can get a good one with the Force lined up at your end for a scrum or lineout (probably best not under the posts though!), with your permission Coach might even whack it up below the banner headline on the front page! It would look great!

Senior Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs
    Would suggest Egan, that if you can get a good one with the Force lined up at your end for a scrum or lineout (probably best not under the posts though!), with your permission Coach might even whack it up below the banner headline on the front page! It would look great!
    Yeah, will take a few on the 10th...

This is the forces next game they are playing Rugby at - Olympic Park that I took in August for a Victory v Adelaide United Pre-Season match

Is anyone else chuffed that we have the arrogance to actually play a Pre-Season game in Melbourne, is the best feeling ever.

vCash
    LOL @ Olympic Park.....Man every A-League supporter apart from the Victory hate that ground...Look at it! LOL

Great pic Egan...Adds yet another great panorama to the building collection you have on Austadiums

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach
    - man the real coach is gonna be pissed with me tonight!

Pub time - seeyas sometine tomorrow arvo
    How's life in the DOG HOUSE? When is she going to let you out to play again?

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    He's not so chirpy now is he Larry!?
    Must have been a big night!

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash
    I wasn't too drunk by the time I got home, and the hang over wasn't actually all that bad - but it was only a few hours sleep. Not too much trouble with RugbyWidow either - I just pushed curfew by a good few hours so she let me off lightlky with a whole day of hard labor! up with the kids followed by bricklaying/brickies labourer and furniture removal!

Too tired for TWF in the evening - crashed EARLY! Back at work today for a rest!

Nice pics there egan - You planning on one for the opener on Feb 10 too? Would make a pretty nifty banner for a Force supporters site btw - Feel free to link to and promote your own site in your sig

Awesome game! Those write ups in the other threads pretty much sum it up - got it wrong in my other post - it was Hilgendorf that was the standout from where I was sitting. Welborn was probably the only one I could recognise easily due to his size - I gotta get my coke bottle glasses fixed before I go to another game so I can read the jersey numbers better. I also missed a bit as I was trying to tape a bit if the game too - I'll try and get that up in the next few days, or at least somne clips from it - I think I got one of the tries! But most was probably of the pavement or the back of the heads of the people in front!

Dear Lord, if you give us back Johnny Cash, we'll give you Justin Bieber.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast