Thread: ARC 2007: The Wash-Up (Amanda Shalala)

vCash

ARC 2007: The Wash-Up (Amanda Shalala)

The first ever Australian Rugby Championship is all over and let’s hope it’s not the last we see of this competition. There will be inevitable tweaks in the format, but it’s fair to say that judging by the standard of rugby seen over the 10 weeks of the ARC, it’s a concept that should be here to stay. The climax of the tournament on Saturday saw the Central Coast Rays defeat the Melbourne Rebels 20-12, to deservedly claim the trophy. The ARC also pioneered the Experimental Law Variations, as well as unearthing some genuine superstars, and the continuation of such a competition will only bolster Australian rugby stocks in the future.

Considering the Wallabies’ demise in France, rugby fans will be salivating over our future prospects, thanks to what we’ve seen in the ARC. The catchcry of the competition was to see the “Wallabies of tomorrow today”, and the tomorrow for this new generation may come sooner than expected. The remarkably rapid rise of Kurtley Beale blasted into another stratosphere in the ARC, and he will surely be a Wallaby come next year. The 18 year old fly-half won the Player of the Tournament award, and was a clear standout in the Rams’ march to the minor premiership. His Western Sydney teammate Lachie Turner showed there’s life beyond Chris Latham, with a string of outstanding performances at fullback. Turner is only 20 years old, but has shown great maturity in his decision making, and courageous commitment in defence. Some of my most memorable moments of the ARC have been Turner’s defensive efforts, equally matched by his brilliance in attack. The Rams’ production line of future representative players doesn’t stop there, with 20 year old scrum-half Josh Holmes effectively directing play for his side and taking on the line. Western Sydney prop Ben Alexander was arguably the outstanding front rower of the competition, closely matched by his teammate, hooker Tatafu Polota-Nau, who has already represented the Wallabies.

But enough of the Rams love-fest, there were notable performances from players in other teams as well. Of course the inaugural champions, Central Coast, produced some fine young players, as well as seeing a step up in class from established Super 14 players. One of those is fly-half Sam Norton-Knight, who has already earned two caps for the Wallabies, and is a valuable experienced campaigner amongst a sea of talented rookies. Waratahs and Rays flanker Beau Robinson also showed his future is looking rosy, as the 21 year old showed impressive speed and a nose for the try line.

The Rebels boasted few Super 14 players, but it didn’t stop them from making the final, and many in that young squad will undoubtedly find themselves playing Super rugby within the next few years. 19 year old hooker James Hanson forced his way into the starting line up midway through the ARC and was one of Melbourne’s best in the final, and as a Queenslander he’s a good prospect for the Reds in the next few years. Half-back Luke Burgess is heading to the Waratahs next year, and even though he’ll battle it out with Brett Sheehan and Josh Valentine to be the starting scrum-half, his ARC form has shown he won’t just challenge for the Waratahs number nine, but for the Wallabies in the wake of the retirement of George Gregan. Rebels winger Digby Ioane already has one test cap, and he has unbelievable strength and should earn a reprieve in the Wallabies. Spirit flanker David Pocock is the apparent heir to the George Smith/Phil Waugh throne, while Richard Brown is primed to take over at number 8.

The ARC was not just about finding Wallabies, there are four Australian Super 14 sides, and they will reap great benefits as well. The four franchises didn’t leave much room in their rosters this year to pick up players from the ARC, but after the talent it’s unearthed, they will surely leave a few more spaces open at the conclusion of next year’s Super 14.

Aces skipper and number 8 Ben Mowen is one of the main beneficiaries of the ARC, having been signed to the Waratahs next year, after carrying East Coast throughout the competition. Vikings centre Matt Carraro has also been signed to the Waratahs, thanks largely to his exploits for Canberra. There’s a plethora of club players who are teetering on the edge of Super 14 contracts, and at the very least the younger ones could pick up Academy contracts, if not the real deal.

The Experimental Law Variations were another major part of this ARC, as all eight were pioneered for the first time in a rugby competition of this level. The major changes occurred at the breakdown and the maul, seeing a marked difference in the flow of the game compared to non-ELV games. There was a significant reduction in the number of penalties given, although the number of free kicks subsequently increased. However, the free kicks were allowed to be taken instantaneously, allowing for quick play-ons, which is refreshing from a spectator’s point of view. Players are also able to use their hands in the ruck, as long as they remain on their feet. Some uncertainty lingers over the rule allowing the maul to be pulled down, as it negates to an extent a quintessential element of the game. A rule which has been essential to keeping the ball in play more often has been the discouragement from kicking into touch on the full inside the 22, if the ball is passed from outside the 22. This has made a marked difference in the game, and has seen the short kicking game employed much more extensively than it would otherwise have been. The general reaction to the ELVs has been overwhelmingly positive, including the coaches, players, and fans. It is all but confirmed that the rules will be introduced into the Super 14 next year, after SANZAR members met on the issue, and from there the ELVs will inevitably find their way into international rugby.

As for the future of the ARC, it will undergo a few changes. The ARU will most likely downsize the grounds they used for this year. All teams (bar Canberra) used stadiums with capacities hovering around 20 000, which were never going to be filled. Smaller venues will be used, and this will provide for a better and more intimate atmosphere for the crowd, as well as saving the ARU bucketloads of money on ground hiring fees. The timing of the competition may have to be re-thought as well, as it falls in the apex of the AFL and NRL finals series. The teams themselves will most probably remain, with expansion not on the cards at this stage. The groundwork has been laid for what is a high quality national rugby competition, and rugby fans everywhere should be thankful for the advent of the ARC to breathe life back into the code, and keep rugby competitive in Australia’s footy filled market.

By Amanda Shalala
    http://www.abc.net.au/sport/rugby_un...s/s2059750.htm

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Hear Hear

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    One of the other greats unearthd in this years ARC would be Amanda herself. Top reporting.

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The InnFORCEr
    One of the other greats unearthd in this years ARC would be Amanda herself. Top reporting.
    i agree wholeheartedly, good to hear positive stuff about Rugby and the ARC instead of the usual doom and gloom from the pie man. I look forward to next years ARC if the get rid of it or water it down (basicly give into sydney clubs etc) may we all travel to Sydney to burn down ARU headquarters

vCash
    Totally agree. She's a champ! And what's more is she's broken down the comp so well talking about all aspects of it and supported everything she's said. Now this is what journalism should be...

As opposed to some crap article i read in the Sunday Times yesterday that blamed Gregan, Mortlock and Bernie for the World Cup loss, accused them of being prissy overpaid boys who didn't like being told what to do...blah blah blah....i got so angry i threw the paper out the door...literally...

"Remember lads, rugby is a team game; all 14 of you make sure you pass the ball to Giteau."

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    I think the best thing we could do is invite Amanda to for a quiet Magners or 2 to congratulate her on a job very well done.

Last edited by .X.; 15-10-07 at 20:19.

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jehna
    the Sunday Times yesterday that blamed Gregan, Mortlock and Bernie for the World Cup loss, accused them of being prissy overpaid boys who didn't like being told what to do...blah blah blah....i got so angry i threw the paper out the door...literally...
    What???????

Right sentiment, wrong names!

C'mon the

vCash
    Yep, I agree, hear hear. Great article.

Except.........they are scrum halves, not half backs!

A few years ago I heard Kaplan saying something like "put it in straight, scrummy". (I would like to think he was shortening the "scrum half" to this, rather than indicating the #9 was a rather attractive sort ) Oops! Sorry:

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jehna
    Totally agree. She's a champ! And what's more is she's broken down the comp so well talking about all aspects of it and supported everything she's said. Now this is what journalism should be...

As opposed to some crap article i read in the Sunday Times yesterday that blamed Gregan, Mortlock and Bernie for the World Cup loss, accused them of being prissy overpaid boys who didn't like being told what to do...blah blah blah....i got so angry i threw the paper out the door...literally...
    Was that from the Wilson chick? She should research better...she placed blame at the resort at Coff Harbour....

That was one of the first things Connolly canned....he wanted to take the team out more to the fans..

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash
    It's not that Rebecca Wilson skank is it? she's worse than growden....

Dear Lord, if you give us back Johnny Cash, we'll give you Justin Bieber.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

vCash
    YEAH! Damn it! Thanks Gerry...i just loved reading that twice! I would have thrown my computer out the door but I place a little more value on it

Stupid woman...

"Remember lads, rugby is a team game; all 14 of you make sure you pass the ball to Giteau."

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach
    It's not that Rebecca Wilson skank is it? she's worse than growden....
    Ohh god that gives me horrible thoughts about how bad it would be if the two of them had babies and they became sports writers. Arrgghh it's worse than my 'Nam flashbacks....