Thread: Players heading to Europe

vCash

Players heading to Europe

I just started a thread in the "New Zealand" section (I'm sure that one of the lovely moderators will move/delete it), but about 5 seconds after i clicked to start it thought that why stop there and was just wondering how many and which of the Wallabies, All Blacks and Springboks had signed on with various Euopean sides. We all know that Gregan and Larkham have but apart from indivdual announcements i'm not sure who else has??

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by Jehna; 10-10-07 at 13:12.

vCash
    The ones I know from NZ are Luke McAlister, Doug Howlett, Aaron Mauger, Anton Oliver, Chris Jack, Byron Kelleher and Carl Hayman...

I'm not sure if there are any others?

Last edited by Jehna; 10-10-07 at 13:13.
    "Remember lads, rugby is a team game; all 14 of you make sure you pass the ball to Giteau."

vCash
    thats not a small list, although NZ rugby pretty much has the depth, especially with 4 more years till they get a crack at trying to win a wrold cup again hehehehe

vCash
    Yeah true. I think there was a list of 19 at some point but i'm not sure where that is from... They're losing some good players but. On the plus side for them, I think Luke McAlister only has a 2 year contract though and is planning to be back for the 2011 campaign.

As for Sth Africa I think they have more leaving... I've heard reports of Victor Matfield, Schalk Burger, Lawrence Sephaka, Francois van Schouwenburg, Butch James, John Smit, Ashwin Willemse, Ronnie Cooke, and Percy Montgomery all leaving?

"Remember lads, rugby is a team game; all 14 of you make sure you pass the ball to Giteau."

Senior Player Contributor gustafsl's Avatar
    vCash
    McAllister has signed on for 2 years I think, so look to see him back in a Blues uniform come 2010. Just in time to be considered for All Blacks selection and the World Cup in 2011.

-edit-

Dammit got beaten to it. Need to add something to make my post still relevant.

Hope this sort (players leaving for 2 years right after the World Cup) doesn't become common. Otherwise you'll probably see ARU, NZRU make rules to prevent players going to Europe ever getting selected again.

vCash
    I think NZ are losing Marty Holah as well..

vCash
    I'd lay odds many of those Kiwi players are not so happy they signed now. Not if the black jersey and a shot at finally winning another RWC at home means anything to them. They've got at least another 8 years to go to prove they can win one away from home.

Just have a squiz at the Air NZ cup and see how many gifted young kiwis are at the next level. Going on past performance I doubt the selectors will be too forgiving, all else being equal.