Thread: Statement from All Blacks management

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash

Statement from All Blacks management

10/10/2007
    allblacks.com

The All Blacks are investigating an incident at a London hotel which resulted in winger Doug Howlett being questioned by Police.

All Blacks Manager Darren Shand said Howlett was arrested and interviewed by Police in London on Tuesday (UK time) as a result of an incident at the airport hotel where members of the All Blacks were staying prior to their return travel to New Zealand.

Two cars parked in the hotel's car park were damaged in the incident.

Howlett, who is among those players remaining in Europe, had been staying at the hotel with other members of the All Blacks who were due to fly back to New Zealand on Wednesday (UK time).

"We are waiting for the Police to conclude their inquiries. Once that occurs, we will initiate our own process to look into the incident and related issues," said Shand.

Howlett was the only member of the All Blacks involved in the incident, he said.

"It is a serious matter and we are concerned that something of this nature has occurred at what is already a disappointing time for the team and for our supporters."

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    All Black apologises after arrest

From correspondents in London
    October 11, 2007

NEW Zealand rugby player Doug Howlett apologised to fans and teammates for his "tomfoolery" after he was arrested for damaging cars outside the All Blacks' hotel in London.

The team's record try-scorer was detained on suspicion of causing criminal damage to two cars outside the Hilton Hotel at Heathrow Airport, west London.

The 29-year-old said he was embarrassed by the incident and was working with the police to contact the cars' owners to fix the damage.

"I would like to say that I am sorry for what has happened," he said in a video statement released by the New Zealand Rugby Union.

"I am embarrassed that the events of one evening have led to me being in this situation. It was a little bit of tomfoolery that has caused me to be here.

"I apologise to people back home, family and friends, the New Zealand public, fans and my teammates.

"There was drink involved, and that's not an excuse, but I do take responsibility for what I've done."

Media reports said Howlett was alleged to have jumped on two vehicles in the car park of the hotel where the squad was staying.

Howlett set a New Zealand try-scoring record in a World Cup pool game against Scotland last month. He was dropped for his side's shock quarter-final defeat to France on Saturday.

All Blacks manager Darren Shand said Howlett was the only member of the team involved in the incident.

"We are waiting for the police to conclude their inquiries. Once that occurs, we will initiate our own process to look into the incident and related issues," he said in a statement on the All Blacks' website.

"It is a serious matter and we are concerned that something of this nature has occurred at what is already a disappointing time for the team and for our supporters."

A Metropolitan Police Service spokeswoman said Howlett was released on police bail pending further inquiries.

He must report to police on an unspecified date later this month. He is due to join Irish club side Munster soon.

Agence France-Presse

"Remember lads, rugby is a team game; all 14 of you make sure you pass the ball to Giteau."

vCash
    at least there were no handbags this time!

vCash

$28,000 bar tab: Howlett drowns his sorrows

Jane AubreyThursday, October 11, 2007Text size
    AAA

Disgraced All Black winger Doug Howlett has aplogised for what he describes as “a little bit of tomfoolery,” following being arrested on suspicion of causing criminal damage outside the Hilton Hotel at Heathrow airport and earlier trashing his hotel room.

However the motivation for letting off a bit of steam has emerged with reports from Britain’s Daily Telegraph suggesting that Howlett and “five to seven” other All Blacks racked up bar tab worth $28,000 Australian.

A hotel staff member told the newspaper: “They looked as if they were pretty down in the dumps after they lost and they ran up 12,500 pounds bar bill over several hours.

“It wasn't just them, it was other members of the squad as well and it included food. They were behaving themselves while they were in the bar, but then for some reason, a couple of them decided to go outside and that was where it all kicked off.

"I heard they were bouncing up and down on several cars parked just outside the hotel and that was when we phoned the police."

The news has prompted a video-taped apology from Howlett in which he says: "I am sorry for what has happened. I am embarrassed that the events of one evening have led to me being in this situation.”

In the apology, Howlett admits that alcohol did play a part in the incident but maintains he never intended to cause damage to people or property.

Reports of Howlett and his teammmates drowning their sorrows at the Hilton have resulted in disbelief from some members of the New Zealand media.

Murray Deaker from radio station NewstalkZB said: “I'll tell you what, (NZ)$31,000 for a bar tab! I've hung some good ones on me at times! I'd hate to think what they'd have spent if they had actually won."

Heathrow Police were called to a disturbance at the Hilton Hotel at around 3am on Tuesday morning. The twenty-nine year-old winger was arrested and later released without charge. He is now in negotiations to make amends for the damage he caused to the vehicles.

“I apologise to the people back home, family and friends, the New Zealand public, fans, my teammates,” he said.

The NZRU will conduct its own investigation into the incident.

Howlett’s father Simon spoke to the New Zealand press yesterday saying his son admitted to damaging the cars.

"Doug is very, very apologetic about what happened. He's upset. He realised what he's done and regrets it. He takes full responsibility. He wants to tell all of New Zealand and the Rugby Union that he is very sorry about everything that's happened."

But Simon Howlett denied the incident was the result of his son being frustrated as the All Blacks’ loss to France and early exit from the World Cup.

"Definitely not, and he told me that. He said he was in good spirits."

Clearly.

In a clear case of bad timing, New Zealand coach Graham Henry gave the press a glowing report of his players upon the team’s return to Christchurch yesterday.

“I'm very proud of how they conducted themselves as people.

"They're marvellous role models for this country. They put this country on the map right around the world and they touched a lot of people," Henry said.

"A number of people have said to me what a tremendous group of young men you've got there - during the World Cup and previous tours.

"It's been phenomenal. They believe they're the best young sporting team that ever stays in their hotels, the most open and friendly and easy to get along with."

vCash
    I would be pretty peeved if i was Howlet,t but still a bit of self-control would've be nice!

vCash
    ahh give him a break. who doesnt smash cars after a night out

oh wait, i'm not playing San Andreas at the moment.

vCash
    Howlett needs to be given a 12 o'clock curfew.