Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: ET Perth Spirit Knocked Out Of MARC By Rays

vCash

ET Perth Spirit Knocked Out Of MARC By Rays

The Central Coast Rays have qualified for the Mazda ARC Grand Final after scoring a 27-19 comeback win over the Perth Spirit in their semi-final clash at Bluetongue Central Coast Stadium on Saturday afternoon.

Running with a gale at their backs in the second stanza, the Rays overcame a 16-point half-time deficit to run away with the three-tries-to-one victory to book their place in the season decider against the winner of Sunday's second semi-final between the Western Sydney Rams and the Melbourne Rebels.

Taking advantage of the blustery conditions, Perth dominated territory and possession in the first half but could only manage one try, while the Rays seemed like a different side in the second half as they overpowered the tiring Spirit side to score a thrilling win.

Perth Spirit went on the attack early and should have scored the opening try in the second minute of play but Junior Pelesasa lost possession as he tried to ground the ball under the posts.

Scott Daruda scored the opening points when he slotted an easy conversion attempt from 20m out, directly in front, in the seventh minute.

The Spirit went close to scoring a try again in the 19th minute when they worked their way inside the Rays' 22 only for prop AJ Whalley, who had shown superb footwork to weave his way to within metres of the line, to lose the ball as he tried to stretch out for the try.

From the ensuing five-metre scrum, Perth pressured the home side and was rewarded with a penalty when Rays centre Sam Harris threw the ball across the dead-ball line. Fullback Luke McLean slotted a left-foot shot through the posts to make it 6-0 to the visitors.

With a gale at their backs, the Spirit continued to dominate territory and were awarded another penalty when Cameron Treloar was penalised for rucking a player without the ball. But McLean's shot from 30m out and directly in front hit the posts to leave the score at 6-0.

Perth lost Pelesasa to a knee injury midway through the first half with Jackson Mullane coming on to oppose his brother, Jye, on the wing with Ryan Cross moving into inside centre and Nick Cummins outside him.

The Spirit eventually turned pressure into points when big lock Sitaleki Timani crashed his way over adjacent to the posts for the first try of the game in the 26th minute. McLean kicked the conversion to give the Spirit a 13-0 lead.

The Spirit should have scored their second try 10 minutes before half-time when they created on overlap on the left side but Whalley's last pass went behind Mullane and over the sideline. However, referee James Leckie pulled the play back for an offside play and McLean stepped up to slot the penalty to make it 16-0, which was the half-time score.

The Rays hit back within a minute of the break with Brett Sheehan throwing a cut-out pass for fullback Peter Hewat to dance his way through three defenders and touch down out wide. Hewat converted his own try to make it 16-7.

The Spirit kept the ball in hand in the face of the strengthening southerly and almost scored their second try with Rays centre Ben Jacobs saving the day for the home side when he managed to hold up Perth winger Ed Jenkins over the tryline.

From the ensuing scrum, the Spirit worked their way across the tryline and were awarded a penalty directly in front of the posts for an infringement in the ruck. McLean eased the ball over the black dot for a 19-7 lead.

The Rays hit back almost immediately when Sheehan, standing out in the centres, got on the outside of Cross and offloaded to Jacobs, who did well to step back inside the cover and sprint away for a try. Hewat converted to reduce the margin to five points, 19-14.

Hewat reduced the margin to two points when he slotted an easy penalty after Daruda was pinged for offside directly in front of his own sticks.

The Rays hit the lead with eight minutes left when they worked play inside the Spirit 22 and flyhalf Sam Norton-Knight sprinted through a gap on the fringe of the ruck to dive over for his eighth try of the campaign. Hewat converted to make it 24-19.

Hewat added a penalty goal right on the full-time siren for an eight-point win that sends his side into the inaugural Mazda ARC Grand Final.

CentralCoastRays 27
    Tries: Peter Hewat, Ben Jacobs, Sam Norton-Knight
    Conversions: Hewat 3/3
    Penalties: Hewat 2/2

PerthSpirit 19
    Trie: Sitaleki Timani
    Conversion: Luke McLean 1/1
    Penalties: Scott Daruda 1/1, Luke McLean 2/3

ET Perth Spirit Knocked Out Of MARC By Rays

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    ahhh...NewsBot...ya got it wrong.....you should have kept up with the live text call....27-19...you missed that Rays penalty on the Siren.

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash
    Bugger!

Dear Lord, if you give us back Johnny Cash, we'll give you Justin Bieber.

vCash
    Carn the Rays!! Rays v Rams final. The cream of Australian rugby, now that all the sediment has been (nearly) removed!!

Laura Force Addict v Chook scrabble-off on Facebook: laura & Force Addict 0 | chook 9

Gigsa made me do it

"He who conquers others is strong; he who conquers himself is mighty." – Lao Tzu

vCash
    Bugger! Bugger! Bugger! Bugger! Bugger! Bugger! Bugger! Bugger!

Go Melbourne, I can't abide a NSW v NSW Grand Final, I'd have no-one to barrack for!

Seriously, we were beaten by a smarter team and our own ability to hold onto breakdown ball and kick into a gale.

C'mon the

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash
    Good work on the live call again Gerry

Dear Lord, if you give us back Johnny Cash, we'll give you Justin Bieber.

Senior Player Contributor WF2006's Avatar
    vCash
    2 tries lost forward over the line and another held up!!
    Bugger - not happy Jan! Hope the Wallabies cheer me up!

vCash
    Embrace your inner NSW rugby love GIGST! Its only natural, don't fight it, give in to the sky blue.

Laura Force Addict v Chook scrabble-off on Facebook: laura & Force Addict 0 | chook 9

Gigsa made me do it

"He who conquers others is strong; he who conquers himself is mighty." – Lao Tzu

vCash
    Damn it! What happened to the boys? *sigh* I thought the line out was disgraceful. I also agree that it was pretty disappointing about those 3 tries we should have had...

Well at least i don't have to lie to work (again) to go to the grand final. I've already lied about two compulsory work functions for the RWC this month hehe.

Here's to the Rams...i'd like to see them take it out.

"Remember lads, rugby is a team game; all 14 of you make sure you pass the ball to Giteau."

vCash
    RAMS RAMS MIGHTY RAMS, RAMMING IS SO MUCH FUN!!

RAMY RAMY RAMY RAMY RAM IT UP YOUR BUM!

Carn the bums, I mean, Rams!

Gigsa made me do it

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jehna
    Well at least i don't have to lie to work (again) to go to the grand final. I've already lied about two compulsory work functions for the RWC this month hehe.
    Sounds like you need to find a new job! There's plenty of companies out there who actively support going to the rugby. Hell, some of us even have a box for the !

CHEERLEADERS ROCK!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JediKnight
    Sounds like you need to find a new job! There's plenty of companies out there who actively support going to the rugby. Hell, some of us even have a box for the !
    That would be my other job...they fully support the rugby. In fact, i'm not convinced the lawyers would be all that concerned if i knew anything about the law...they love me on the basis that i love rugby. I mean currently there is a diagram of the wallabies team on the whiteboard in our main boardroom which we can't get off because it was drawn in permanent marker Apparently one of the partners considered that it was more important i gave my lesson in rugby education to one of the other lawyers than it was to try and pretend we were professional and make a good impression on clients

"Remember lads, rugby is a team game; all 14 of you make sure you pass the ball to Giteau."

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WF2006
    2 tries lost forward over the line and another held up!!
    Bugger - not happy Jan! Hope the Wallabies cheer me up!
    no I'm happy

well i was until both of today/tonights results!

Chuck Norris has the greatest Poker-Face of all time. He won the 1983 World Series of Poker, despite holding only a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno.

vCash
    They had it....aaaarrrrggghhhh!! Not a good 24 hours of rugby!!

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Still a great performace by an ever changing Perth Spirit line up for the first ARC season.

Congratulations to the ARU for getting the comp up and running and I look forward to next years ARC.

Good luck to both the Rebels n the Rays for the final next week.

Rebels by 18 for mine.

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast