Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Australia v England - Preview & Lead up

vCash

Australia v England - Preview & Lead up

Australia v England, preview

Venue & time
    Stade Velodrome, Marseille. Saturday October 6, 11pm (AEST).

Head to head
    Played 34: Australia 20, England 13, Drawn 1

Last time
    June 17, 2006 Telstra Dome (Melbourne) Australia 43-18 England

Team changes
    Wallabies skipper Stirling Mortlock is expected to be return in the centres alongside Matt Giteau after spending the past two weeks on the sidelines with a shoulder injury. George Gregan should return at scrumhalf after earning a rest last start, while Berrick Barnes will again start at pivot for the injured Stephen Larkham. Drew Mitchell and Adam Ashley-Cooper will battle it out for the left wing role but utility back Scott Staniforth has failed to recover from a shoulder injury and has been ruled out leaving the door open for Cameron Shepherd, Julian Huxley or Morgan Turinui to claim a bench spot.

Up front, Matt Dunning and Guy Shepherdson are the likely starting props with Stephen Moore at hooker. Dan Vickerman and Nathan Sharpe will be the locks with George Smith, Rocky Elsom and Wycliff Palu making up the rest of the pack. Al Baxter's versatility should win him a bench spot alongside reserve hooker Adam Freier. Hugh McMeniman, Mark Chisholm, Phil Waugh and Stephen Holies will contest the remaining bench spots.

England coach Brian Ashton has made a number of changes to his starting line-up for this crucial match. Phil Vickery is back at tighthead prop in place of Martin Stevens and takes over the captaincy duties from Martin Corry. Veteran Mark Regan starts ahead of George Chuter at hooker and forms a formidable front row with Andrew Sheridan at loosehead. Simon Shaw replaces Steve Borthwick in the second row while the rest of the pack remains unchanged.

In the backs, rugby league convert Andy Farrell is a surprise selection at inside centre, while Jason Robinson returns from injury at fullback, with Josh Lewsey moving to the wing.

Form
    Australia can be pleased with its form in the tournament so far after finishing on top of Pool B. The Wallabies opened with a 91-3 hiding of Japan before downing Wales 32-20 in a pressure match in Cardiff. Key players were rested in the wins over Fiji (55-12) and Canada (37-6) but injuries in the backline haven't helped the Aussies' campaign as it approaches the knockout stage.

World champ England started its title defence slowly with an unconvincing 28-10 win over the USA followed by a record 36-0 loss to South Africa. However, the old dart has picked up some momentum with disciplined wins over Samoa (44-22) and Tonga (36-20) in two bruising encounters.

Who's hot
    Wallabies centre Matt Giteau has been outstanding in the tournament so far. He has been elusive in attack and always looks composed. Fullback Chris Latham is returning to top form while youngster Berrick Barnes has taken all before him with aplomb. Dunning has been impressive up front while Vickerman and Elsom have also put in some eye-catching displays.

England centre Matthew Tait has been a revelation during this Rugby World Cup. His pace and step has ensured opposition backlines need to keep a close eye on him. Flyhalf Jonny Wilkinson is always a danger with his composure and his unerring left boot while scrumhalf Andy Gomarsall has been at his wily best at the base of the scrum. Up front prop Sheridan has been impressive while the experience of Martin Corry has also been a telling factor in England's increase in momentum. Vickery's return should also bolster their confidence.

We think
    Revenge is a dish best served cold and the Aussie will be scooping out ice-cream to the Poms. Wilkinson will prove a thorn but not much more. We've been waiting for this for four years – so let's savor the moment – Wallabies by 14.

Teams
    Australia
    1 Matt Dunning
    2 Stephen Moore
    3 Guy Shepherdson
    4 Nathan Sharpe
    5 Daniel Vickerman
    6 Rocky Elsom
    7 George Smith
    8 Wycliff Palu
    9 George Gregan
    10 Berrick Barnes
    11 Lote Tuqiri
    12 Matt Giteau
    13 Stirling Mortlock (c)
    14 Adam Ashley-Cooper
    15 Chris Latham

16 Adam Freier
    17 Al Baxter
    18 Hugh McMeniman
    19 Stephen Hoiles
    20 Phil Waugh
    21 Julian Huxley
    22 Drew Mitchell

England
    1. Andrew Sheridan
    2. Mark Regan
    3. Phil Vickery (captain)
    4. Simon Shaw
    5. Ben Kay
    6. Martin Corry
    7. Lewis Moody
    8. Nick Easter

9. Andy Gomarsall
    10. Jonny Wilkinson
    11. Josh Lewsey
    12. Andy Farrell OUT
    13. Mathew Tait
    14. Paul Sackey
    15. Jason Robinson

16. George Chuter
    17. Matt Stevens
    18. Lawrence Dallaglio
    19. Joe Worsley
    20. Peter Richards
    21. Olly Barkley
    22. Dan Hipkiss

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by travelling_gerry; 05-10-07 at 00:36.
    "Remember lads, rugby is a team game; all 14 of you make sure you pass the ball to Giteau."

vCash

Mortlock wary of England

Mortlock wary of England

2/10/2007 5:31:06 PM
    Steve Orme
    Sportal

The Wallabies may be entering their highly anticipated quarter-final showdown with England in Marseille as strong favourites but skipper Stirling Mortlock will not be taking the old enemy lightly.

England suffered a heavy defeat at the hands of the powerful Springboks early in the tournament but bounced back to defeat Tonga 36-20 to seal second spot in Pool A and book a spot in the quarter finals on Saturday.

But despite England's patchy performances to date, Mortlock insists his side is prepared for a difficult sudden-death encounter with the old-enemy on Saturday.

"We're very wary," Mortlock admitted. "In particular England have an excellent set-piece and I think their play has progressed throughout this tournament."

"Each game they've improved and no doubt their confidence has improved with that." "As well the fact of having Jonny Wilkinson on board seems to have composed their team a lot, so we're very wary of them."

Mortlock dismissed the suggestion his team is motivated by revenge, following their extra-time loss England in the 2003 Rugby World Cup final.

"From a team perspective we've got certain goals we want to achieve from this game this weekend and we'll be focused on those not exorcising some demons," he said.

"We're a vastly different team to the team we were in 03 and likewise so are England." "I think individuals will use whatever they need to, to get themselves up for this game."

When pressed to elaborate on the differences between the current Wallabies squad and the 03 model the skipper said: "I think we've improved a lot on our attack and in particular our ability to utilise running forwards off multi-phase attack." "And I think our kicking game is a lot better than in the last few years, we've improved that dramatically." "So we go into this game with a lot of confidence and looking forward to a massive contest."

Wilkinson's famous drop-goal was the difference between the two sides in 03. And Mortlock conceded the Wallabies would not shy away from easy points should they present themselves in Marseille.

"It is an option, you really want to get pay and get points for when you put pressure on teams and when you have good field position," he said. "You've seen field goals have been prevalent in the competition so far and I imagine as the pressure increases they'll be more and more important."

"Remember lads, rugby is a team game; all 14 of you make sure you pass the ball to Giteau."

vCash
    Barnes no Jonny come lately

2/10/2007 9:31:20 AM
    PA Sport

If Jonny Wilkinson thinks he is the most intense fly-half in the world then he should take a look at the No.10 lining up against him at the Stade Velodrome on Saturday.

Australia's Berrick Barnes is young, blond and appears to have the demeanour and tan of a man who has just stepped off Bondi Beach. But get this, he practises his kicking on Christmas Day, just like Wilkinson. And the 21-year-old aims to make it pay when England and Australia re-enact the World Cup final of 2003 at the quarter-final stage of this tournament.

Barnes watched that final at his granny's house back in Brisbane, on account of the fact that he was still in 12th grade at school, which puts his rapid rise into perspective. (Haha...i remember it too because I was on leavers at Rotto )

But he has studied Wilkinson's game and, although he is not a goalkicking fly-half of the same ilk, there is no doubt he is as big a fan of England's star player as he will be an adversary come the weekend.

"Everybody's got their unique way of playing but I've watched Wilkinson and you can take bits out of it," he said. "He's a serious sort of character and he keeps a lot of stuff in and I'm similar. I've just got to learn to find that outlet leading into a game like this and make sure when you get that routine stick to it."

"The key to this sort of stuff is mental, getting your head on, getting right."
    "I'm not that intense but I'm not Gits (Mat Giteau), I'm not the class clown, that's for sure." ()

"I did have a kick Christmas Day actually. My dad and the blokes were round and we had a bit of a kick. But at Christmas it's always cricket in the afternoon. Cricket in Essex Road, the street where I live."

Barnes, who has played in three games in the current World Cup, scoring two tries and two drop goals, has been handed his chance because of the knee operation to Stephen Larkham, which looks likely to rule Australia's first choice fly-half out of the rest of the competition.

It has left Barnes in a state hovering somewhere between shock and fantasy. "I could never have imagined this would have happened. It's bloody unfortunate for Stephen Larkham but I've got the opportunity and I just have to step up and enjoy it," he said.

There is no way Barnes or any of the other Australian players are going to be fooled by the bookies making them 2/7 favourites for what is the edgiest and most intriguing match of the tournament so far. Not after watching England's four-try display against Tonga.

"I thought England were good. Their last two games against Pacific nations have been tough," Barnes said. "You struggle to get into a routine against them and they can take you down to the wire. I thought England stuck to their guns and played some good footy." "Wilkinson's kicking game is second to none so he's had a massive influence on them." "We'll look at their videos, develop a game plan through the week and try to run with it at the weekend."

Apart from Australian RFU chief executive John O'Neill, whose observation 'we all hate England' caused a stir, the Aussies and the English have been treading something of a softly-softly, respectful path to Saturday's match.
    But do not let that fool anyone. The genes ultimately will kick in and guarantee a tight, tense and spiky affair.

The fixture inevitably brings out the best in both sides and Barnes, just like his kicking, has given it some studied analysis. "I was thinking about that in bed last night. I don't say I hate them but it's that Queensland/New South Wales thing. It's that passion you want to win and I think you'll see that next Saturday. I'll be keyed up for it, that's for sure," he said.

"It's the tradition going on so long. I hate it when we lose at cricket - but I loved it when we beat them 5-0 in the Ashes." Funnily enough, he didn't mention that famous drop goal back in 2003.

vCash
    England dreading knockout blow

3/10/2007 7:07:51 AM
    PA Sport

Lawrence Dallaglio admits the painful prospect of watching the final stages of the World Cup back home is all the motivation England needs as it prepares for its weekend battle against Australia.

The talismanic No.8, who played such a huge part when England beat the Aussies to lift the Webb Ellis trophy in Sydney four years ago, is likely to start on the bench when head coach Brian Ashton names his side on Thursday morning (AEST).

But he was in warrior mood as he urged his England team-mates to forget about 2003 and make history of their own at the Stade Velodrome. "You don't need to look back for motivation," Dallaglio said. "It's about here and now. It's a World Cup quarter-final. A World Cup quarter-final. The opportunity to be in the semi-final of the World Cup."

"All those words are every motivation you need. The prospect of losing and going home and having to watch the last two weeks of the competition is the motivation." "The reality is there. If you win you move forward. If you don't you go home. That's all the motivation you need."

But can a struggling England beat an in-form Australia? "Yes," insisted Dallaglio. "We know Australia have got a bit more form coming into this game but they've beaten us and we've beaten them."

"Everybody in the squad has played in one game where they have been beaten by Australia but also played in at least one game where they have beaten Australia."

"You have to believe you can win the game. We beat them in 2005, they beat us the following year. It has been honours even. In World Cups it's two-all. We've won the last two, they won the two before that."

On that score the psychological advantage could be with England, courtesy of two drop goals against the Aussies, one famously by Jonny Wilkinson to win the final four years ago and another by England's current elite director of rugby, Rob Andrew, back in 1995.

That was in the final minutes of the quarter final in Cape Town when Andrew's effort knocked out the reigning champions 25-22.

Dallaglio accepts the current England side, which lost 36-0 to South Africa in the group phase and then went on to beat Samoa and Tonga, will have to raise the bar significantly if it is to re-enact such triumphs.

"We've got ourselves out of a couple of tricky situations in the last two games. The level of performance to beat Australia is going to have to be something we have yet to see from the team in this World Cup. It is significantly higher," he said.

"They hold onto the ball for multiple phases so we have to defend for multiple phases, something we haven't had to do in this World Cup so far." "We are going to have to raise our levels. We have the belief and confidence to do that. Belief is not something we are struggling with."

England is still searching for balance, however, and Dallaglio has struggled to make an impact after playing poorly in its opening pool game against the United States.

He returned briefly, from the bench, against Tonga but is desperate to influence the outcome of what could be his last game for his country. At least with Dallaglio you can always rely on an honest assessment. "I've had one chance in this World Cup and I blew my assignment against America. I was given the opportunity and didn't take it. I don't look to blame anyone other than myself," he said.

"Whatever role I play, whether it's in the starting team, on the bench or not in the team at all you have to play your part. World Cups are not won by one person, they are won by a squad of 30 and back-up staff. That was the clear message from the last World Cup."

"It's a great game to be involved in and a great game to start. If that's not to be I'll look forward to whatever part I play."

Most of all Dallaglio believes we will see a much improved England team on Saturday. "There's nothing like back to back victories to regain momentum and confidence in the team and that is exactly what's happened," he said.

"The signs are there and they are going to have to be in abundance on Saturday. We are definitely moving forward."

vCash
    Giteau fears Jonny on the spot

3/10/2007 6:24:00 AM
    PA Sport

Australia centre Matt Giteau believes World Cup quarter-final opponent England is a far more dangerous team now Jonny Wilkinson is back in the side.

The Wallabies view the defending champions as a growing force and put much of that down to the return of Wilkinson, their drop-goal nemesis from the 2003 final.

Wilkinson missed England's first two matches of the tournament with an ankle injury before returning for the wins over Samoa and Tonga. "The reason England are looking more dangerous is that they are starting to build into the competition nicely," Giteau said.

"Their backline has been improving since the South Africa game and they get a lot of confidence with Jonny in the side." "He provides a lot for the team, not only his kicking and general play but just him being in the team."
    "He is definitely a key player there. When Jonny is in the team, they feel they can try things. When they play without him, they lack of confidence."

Wallabies captain Stirling Mortlock added: "The fact they have Jonny Wilkinson back seems to have composed their team a bit. We're very wary."
    Australia is playing down suggestions of revenge for the 2003 final, which England won in the dying seconds of extra-time thanks to Wilkinson's drop-goal. But it has learned its lessons from the defeat.

Defence coach John Muggleton has been drilling into his men the need to cut down the time and space in which Wilkinson has to work. England has scored the fewest tries of the eight quarter-finalists but has landed the most drop-goals, with Wilkinson slotting four in the last two games.

And Muggleton said: "There's not a great deal of difference to any other number 10, like Dan Carter. We want to put them under pressure and it is the same with Jonny Wilkinson.

"All number 10s like extra space and time. We want to cut down their time, if we can do that." "We've got to make sure space is something they don't get. We've got to respect the halfway line as our try-line." "We don't want them to get in our half and have the opportunity to kick penalty goals and keep the scoreboard ticking over."

Giteau will be an interested observer on Thursday when England head coach Brian Ashton reveals whether Olly Barkley or Andy Farrell will start opposite him at inside centre.

"They obviously provide different things and which centre they choose will say a fair bit about how they will play the game," said Giteau. "Barkley is very skilful, fast on his feet and more of an evasive player. Andy Farrell is a bit more dominant and a more aggressive player." "It would be like the difference between Stirling Mortlock and myself."

vCash
    Wallabies target Wilkinson

By Paul Kent
    October 03, 2007

DOUBTS over whether Jonny Wilkinson is still the dominant player he was in 2003 has Australia set to take advantage of his diminishing game.

The Wallabies believe Wilkinson's long run of injuries has forced him to pare down his running game in a bid to prolong his career by avoiding injuries, which have cost him most of the past four years.

While the removal from the front line helps avoid injury it also comes at a cost, one the Wallabies plan to exploit to run England out of the World Cup.
    Wilkinson's safety-first game not only removes the significant threat of his running game but allows opposition teams to focus more heavily on shutting down his passing and kicking game, considered to be the deadliest in international rugby.

Wallabies defence coach John Muggleton has noticed Wilkinson now stands deeper in the pocket to give himself more time, a fact they plan to take advantage of in Saturday's quarter-final in Marseilles.

"There might be a yard or two in it," Muggleton said. "I think he gets there early and I think he gives a very clear indication that he is going to kick it. When he is having a shot at field goal he's so confident that he can afford to get that little deeper and give himself extra time.

"I don't think there's a significant difference in depth but certainly there is in his timing and his reading when he is going to do it."

As a safeguard though, the Australians plan to rough up Wilkinson at every chance to keep him unsettled. They will not have a specific player target him in defence. Instead, the player marking opposite will lead the charge and be responsible for taking Wilkinson down.

Once he is at the bottom of the ruck the rest, according to the Australian game plan, will take care of itself. It is a bold move to upset what they believe has now emerged as Wilkinson's greatest asset, his composure and the effect it has on calming his teammates.

Muggleton believed Wilkinson posed no more of a threat than other world-class five-eighths, despite his almost singular reputation as the sparkplug of England's attack.

"(He is) not a great deal of difference to any other No. 10," Muggleton said.
    "If you're playing (All Black) Dan Carter you want to cut down his time, you want to put him under a little bit of pressure, and you want to pressure his kicking game.

"The same with Jonny Wilkinson. All No. 10s, the game revolves around (them). They all like a little bit of extra space and a little bit of extra time. "We want to cut down his time so he has to set himself a little bit deeper and make it harder for his forwards to get back over the advantage line and break square.

"If we can do that we've gone a little way towards nullifying the England forwards."

Australia has spoken often of the threat of the England pack which, the coaches believe, is the best pack in the world. "In the lineout and the scrum England have both those areas at extremely high standards," forwards coach Michael Foley said.

"You look at that South Africa game a couple of weeks ago (won 36-0 by the Springboks), you don't see a forward pack take a game to South Africa and do the damage that England were able to do very often. "In fact, I can't remember in recent times where that South African pack has gone through that."

Foley said the impact of the England pack was lost in the aftermath because of the lopsided score. "The England forward pack poses a great threat to us," he said.

vCash
    Staniforth out, Larkham back on track

From Jim Morton in Marseille, France
    October 03, 2007
    SCOTT Staniforth has been ruled out of the Rugby world Cup quarter-final against England.

Staniforth, 29, has succumbed to a painful shoulder injury for the second week in a row, leaving a bench quandary for coach John Connolly.

The Western Force utility back joins veteran playmaker Stephen Larkham, who resumed light running today, on the sidelines. Larkham jogged about 1km at Stade Luminy in Marseille today, while the Wallabies completed their first team training run of the week. (YAY!)

Team spokesman Michael Earsman said the five-eighth aimed to resume full team training next Tuesday, to be available for a possible semi-final clash with New Zealand. Larkham had not run since initially aggravating chronic damage in his right knee on September 14, which prompted the first of two arthroscopies.

Staniforth, injured in the 55-12 win over Fiji on September 23, was sent for another MRI scan today, to check whether the damage to his joint was worse than suspected.

The results again confirmed he had sustained deep bone bruising to the shoulder when hit hard by Adam Ashley-Cooper's knee in a botched switch move. (Remind me again why Coops is favoured over Drew? At least Drew takes out Hookers and not his own team mates... )

Earsman said Staniforth would remain with the team in the hope he would be fit for the October 13 semi-final in Paris.

But Australia must first overcome 2003 champion England at Stade Velodrome on Saturday. Connolly is not expected to make any surprises when he names his starting team on Thursday, but there is much interest in the composition of his bench.

Staniforth has been a regular this year for his ability to cover inside centre as well as wing. Matt Giteau's versatility has allowed the selectors to take a 5-2 forwards-backs reserves split, but the desire to leave Giteau at inside centre next to rookie Berrick Barnes may see them revert to a conventional 4-3 split.

AAP

vCash
    Shepherdson braced for showdown

Peter Jenkins
    October 03, 2007

AUSTRALIA prop Guy Shepherdson last night declared himself ready for a brutal showdown with the front-row destroyer who pummelled the Australia scrum at Twickenham two years ago.

England loosehead Andy Sheridan emerged with man-of-the-match honours after the Wallabies pack was humiliated during an infamous tour that led to the sacking of former coach Eddie Jones.

But Shepherdson admitted constant references to a match he took no part in were both tedious and irrelevant in the lead-up to the World Cup quarter-final in Marseilles on Saturday night.

"I suppose while it's a little bit frustrating, it's a bit confusing as well," he said. "I wasn't involved. I was watching on TV like everyone else. But that was a very long time ago. There have been plenty of games of rugby since then.

"It's a bit strange it keeps getting brought up over and over again. It hasn't got anything to do with me. "I don't have any baggage and I don't think anyone else does either."

Shepherdson, however, was not under-estimating the influence Sheridan has on an England scrum which stole three tight-heads from the vaunted South African pack three weeks ago.

"He's a huge man and obviously fairly destructive," said the 25 year old, born in Jakarta, Indonesia. "He's done some damage to a lot of teams so it's going to be a big one. But that's the exciting thing, the great challenge about playing Test rugby."

The Wallabies scrum has improved significantly since the appointment of forwards coach Michael Foley at the start of 2006. Even the British media has conceded the once fragile Australians have added starch up front.

Former Welsh back-rower Eddie Butler, writing for The Observer, issued the warning: "The Australia pack is anything but the pushover it was until only recently."

But while the Australians are confident they have the up-front grunt to suck the life from England's hopes of an upset at Stade Velodrome, coach John Connolly said the Wallabies needed to build on what they produced during the group stage.

vCash
    grrr coops needs someone to knock some sense into him.
    THERES NO FRIENDLY FIRE IN RUGBY DUMBARSE!!!

äs long as we put johnny out asap i will be happy!

Last edited by jono; 03-10-07 at 11:13.

vCash
    Too many articles to read Jehna. Can you post a precis of all those thingymajigs for our edification and enjoyment? Thanks in advance.

Laura Force Addict v Chook scrabble-off on Facebook: laura & Force Addict 0 | chook 9

Gigsa made me do it

"He who conquers others is strong; he who conquers himself is mighty." – Lao Tzu

vCash
    Haha sure chook:
    1. We're a little worried about Jonny and his drop goals
    2. Don't underestimate England - their scrum and lineouts are pretty good
    3. England are saying they think they can beat Aust but are actually worried about being kicked out
    4. Staniforth won't be playing as his shoulder is still stuffed but Bernie is finally out and about training again and hopefully will be back for the All Blacks
    5. Berrick is pretty excited to be playing his childhood hero given that when the last world cup was on he (like me) was watching it after having just finished high school...lol

Is that better?

Last edited by Jehna; 03-10-07 at 21:03.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Make it easier Jehna...

THE TAH's PLAYERS SUCK....

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jehna
    Haha sure chook:
    1. We're a little worried about Jonny and his drop goals
    2. Don't underestimate England - they're scrum and lineouts are pretty good
    3. England are saying they think they can beat Aust but actually worried about being kicked out
    4. Staniforth won't be playing as his shoulder is still stuffed but Bernie is finally out and about training again and hopefully will be back for the All Blacks
    5. Berrick is pretty excited to be playing his childhood hero given that last world cup he (like me) was watching it after having just finished high school...lol

Is that better?
    Ta Jehna, makes it nice and easy to respond to each one. .

1. Drop goal prop schmoles. My mother always used to say that drop goals are the last resort of the purple dingo people, but then she was on heavy Prozac by then. Drop goals are a sign of a lack of imagination and if England can't be imaginative they won't do much to our defense.

2. Our line-out has been the best in the competition so far 46 throw-ins, 2 lost or skew, 18 opposition stolen. (South Africa have stolen 17 and lost 4, England have stolen 10 and lost 11). As for scrums, while theirs is undeniably superior to ours, after 33 scrums- 13 have been reset, 11 collapsed and 1 was lost vs Englands' 31 scrums- 16 reset, 13 collapse and 0 lost. I think us being better in the line-out will nullify their advantage in the scrums at least.

3. Anything is possible, but realistically the front row is the only area where they have any players that are better than ours from 4-15 we are simply better. They would have to play out of their skins, while we play very poorly or perhaps if it rained a hell of a lot and then we got a few red/yellow cards.

4. It's a shame the SS is still injured but its great news to hear Stephen Larkham is up and mobile again (a bit at least) it would be a crying shame to see him go out like that. I could even cope with being knocked out against the All Blacks if at least it is a gripping contest and Gregan and Larkham are there to run the show.

5. I like little Berry. I hope he copes well under the pressure from England (he showed his stuff against Wales but England will be another step up). It's good to have Giteau next to him to relieve some of the pressure and play first receiver a fair bit.

I don't know what is like back home but the newspapers in England are really funny. They are mightily annoyed at what JON said talking up the three great England v Australia moments a lot (1995 QF, 2003 F, 2005 scrum demolishion). The bitterness is great, scathing.

vCash
    And one point in rebuttal James.

Point 3you say their front row is better than ours, I'm not so convinced, what we lose on the roundabouts (Scrum time and generally the set piece) we gain on the swings (in this instance stamina around the field and speed to the breakdown) If we use our front row badly we'll get hammered, if we use our front row well we'll run a day long clinic in how to embarrass the best pack on the planet (not my words, read the articles) with a bunch of no hopers.......unless Trestle takes the field before the demolition job is complete.

C'mon the

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    A good point, I suppose I did put too much of that into scrum prowess. I guess part of it will come down to how many scrums there are and thats why I'm praying there won't be any rain.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast