Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Return of the attention whore

vCash

Return of the attention whore

Israel Folau launches legal action against Queensland Rugby League, alleging discrimination

Israel Folau is taking legal action against the Queensland Rugby League (QRL) on the grounds of discrimination following the sporting body's decision not to register the dual international.

he QRL announced on Wednesday it would not register Folau in his bid to play for the Southport Tigers on the Gold Coast as it had not received confirmation he had been released from his existing playing contract with French club Catalans Dragons.

Folau was unveiled as the latest signing for the Tigers last Friday, with the club's main sponsor Clive Palmer saying he hoped the 32-year-old would be free to play against Burleigh Bears on May 29.

Folau's lawyer, Sam Iskander from Brisbane law firm Alexander Law, said his client had been denied "the opportunity to practice his profession".

"All Israel Folau wants to do is play football and be treated like any other person,'' Mr Iskander said in a statement.

"His application for registration with the QRL is being dealt with differently to anyone else who has ever sought registration for the Southport Tigers.

"Mr Folau's now repudiated contract agreement with Catalans has nothing to do with the QRL."

Mr Iskander said Folau was a victim of discrimination.

"The QRL has no right to discriminate against a player or seek to disadvantage such a player,'' he said.

"Never before have we seen a QRL condition put on a player where the player has to give up representative honours and selection. They are also seeking a condition that my client can only play for the Southport Tigers.

"The QRL is effectively seeking to destroy Israel's professional aspirations. Why is this being done to Israel Folau?"

Folau has not played in Australia since seeing his Rugby Australia (RA) contract terminated in 2019 after he refused to take down a controversial social media post in which he said "hell awaits" gay people.

He reached an out-of-court settlement with RA before moving to France to play rugby league in the Super League with Catalans.

"The QRL acknowledge that previous social media comments made by Folau, whilst not a registered participant in rugby league at the time, do not align to the beliefs of the game, or the QRL," A QRL statement read.

"Any breach of the code of conduct could lead to suspension, or the cancellation of the player's registration, as it would for any other player."

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/amp.abc.net.au/article/100171474

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Clive Palmer and Israel Folau. No need to say more. But I will. Catalans say he was allowed back for compassionate reasons but expect him to return if ready to play again. Against the wishes and advice of the UK Rugby League, Catalans threw him a lifeline. This is how that hypocrital can't repays goodwill. He and Palmer threatened the QRL before they applied to register the prick, which they can't do till a clearance comes. They did not refuse to register him otherwise.

vCash
    Folau's lawyer, Sam Iskander from Brisbane law firm Alexander Law, said his client had been denied "the opportunity to practice his profession".
    Isn't Southport Tigers an amateur club? Even if the QRL are discriminating against Folau (doubtful), how can they be denying him the opportunity to practice his profession for an amateur club?

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    geez,the lawyers just love Clive!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheikh View Post
    Isn't Southport Tigers an amateur club? Even if the QRL are discriminating against Folau (doubtful), how can they be denying him the opportunity to practice his profession for an amateur club?
    Must be very ameteur if Palmer played for them as he claims. He has a contract and needs a clearance. He's being sponsored
    by the Fat Kid as is John Folau and Tony Williams. I'd be surprised if nobody is paid in A Grade. Reserve grade in Q Cup

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    I don't know a lot about Rugby League. I have very little interest in it.

But, I live in a Rugby League town, in a Rugby League District, and an RL State. Rugby League is king.

So I feel I can talk a little about professional and amateur when it comes to League.

For example - just down the road from where I live in the home of the Windsor Wolves. They play in the Penrith District Rugby League Competition. and in their First-grade side, they pay their players up to $700 a match. How do I know this? Because they are always approaching our First Grade players to come across from Rugby Union.

Based on this information. I believe that a Club on the Gold Coast playing in the Queensland Comp would be paying much more than the Penrith District Clubs would pay.

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by brokendown gunfighter View Post
    geez,the lawyers just love Clive!!!
    Isn't there something in a code of ethics or something where a lawyer is required to tell a potential client when they have zero chance of success?

Catalans have repeatedly stated they didn't release him, so long as this is valid this case will last approximately 5 minutes.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by .X. View Post
    I don't know a lot about Rugby League. I have very little interest in it.

But, I live in a Rugby League town, in a Rugby League District, and an RL State. Rugby League is king.

So I feel I can talk a little about professional and amateur when it comes to League.

For example - just down the road from where I live in the home of the Windsor Wolves. They play in the Penrith District Rugby League Competition. and in their First-grade side, they pay their players up to $700 a match. How do I know this? Because they are always approaching our First Grade players to come across from Rugby Union.

Based on this information. I believe that a Club on the Gold Coast playing in the Queensland Comp would be paying much more than the Penrith District Clubs would pay.

They play in the Penrith District Rugby League Competition. and in their First-grade side, they pay their players up to $700 a match. How do I know this? Because they are always approaching our First Grade players to come across from Rugby Union.

You're fairly spot-on with the comparison X. They were the Panthers reserve grade not long ago but now compete in the semi-pro Ron Massey Cup since the State Cup was reorganised similar to Q Cup. This is basically third grade exactly the same as Southport, which is Burleigh Bears reserve grade. I think it's simply an underhanded move to get the registration, get called up to Q Cup then....

Prick!

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Player
    vCash
    Has Folau ever completed a contract?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeansyjive View Post
    Has Folau ever completed a contract?
    He had a contract renewed by Rugby Australia

Remember, the one where Pulver and Clone were too dumb to add an exit clause in case he said dumb shit on social media

C'mon the

vCash

For example - just down the road from where I live in the home of the Windsor Wolves.... First-grade side pay their players up to $700 a match.
    That mention got me thinking about something from 20 years back. An old team mate from the Jurassic period back in Sydney had a son showing promise playing fot WA Schools in the OZ Champs at Dorrien Gardens. Player agents and recruiters everywhere. He was 16. Anyway the Storm, Cowboys and Penrith were all after him and flew the folks to Melbourne and Townsville. He somehow landed at Windsor and went on to be a journeyman of 5yrs NRL and 5 in the UK.

We had a couple of beers in the clubhouse and his dad said "FFS I got 80 bucks in my last season at the Dogs" He was mainly a 3rd grader"

My point is that it equates to about $580 today - for the season. Both Rugby and League are staring at a crisis in participation numbers and I'm certain that the ridiculous money being squandered on payments to fairly ordinary talent drains dollars that are sorely needed to bolster juniors. But how do the NRL uncrack that egg? I'd say a good start would be enforcing everything below the reggies to return to ameteur status.

Might be of some benefit to Subbies etc too. Do many of your players take the money and run, X?

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    That mention got me thinking about something from 20 years back. An old team mate from the Jurassic period back in Sydney had a son showing promise playing fot WA Schools in the OZ Champs at Dorrien Gardens. Player agents and recruiters everywhere. He was 16. Anyway the Storm, Cowboys and Penrith were all after him and flew the folks to Melbourne and Townsville. He somehow landed at Windsor and went on to be a journeyman of 5yrs NRL and 5 in the UK.

We had a couple of beers in the clubhouse and his dad said "FFS I got 80 bucks in my last season at the Dogs" He was mainly a 3rd grader"

My point is that it equates to about $580 today - for the season. Both Rugby and League are staring at a crisis in participation numbers and I'm certain that the ridiculous money being squandered on payments to fairly ordinary talent drains dollars that are sorely needed to bolster juniors. But how do the NRL uncrack that egg? I'd say a good start would be enforcing everything below the reggies to return to ameteur status.

Might be of some benefit to Subbies etc too. Do many of your players take the money and run, X?

Subbies Rugby is completely Amateur.

A couple of years ago the owner of the Fanatics - a touring company for the Australian Cricket Team and Tennis Australia sponsored Balmain Rugby, at the time they were a part of Subbies Division 3. Same as HAC Rugby (my club). The first-grade team was collectively paid $50,000 for the season. Second Grade $25,000. Allegedly.

They won the comp with players recruited out of Shute Shield. Since that year - all of Subbies became Amateur and the recruiting of Shute Shield quality players was banned. Also, players recruited by Shute Shields Clubs "must" be released by the Subbies Club.

Do players go to Windsor Wolves - very rarely.

We place a high value on club culture and club activities and it is appreciated by our players.

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

vCash
    It sounds like they've set up a monopoly and now are looking to kick as many providers out of that monopoly as they can in order to shrink to greatness.

Is clyne in charge of SRU by any chance?

C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    It sounds like they've set up a monopoly and now are looking to kick as many providers out of that monopoly as they can in order to shrink to greatness.

Is clyne in charge of SRU by any chance?
    Don't think you can have it both ways GIGS. If you don't try to draw a line somewhere the race to the bottom continues, to where you see average players or talented but lazy ones on 700 bucks a game. And/or silver tail clubs spiriting players out of hotel quarantine?.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    Don't think you can have it both ways GIGS. If you don't try to draw a line somewhere the race to the bottom continues, to where you see average players or talented but lazy ones on 700 bucks a game. And/or silver tail clubs spiriting players out of hotel quarantine?.
    I guess I was thinking more that it is "the grassroots" as were continually Tod and there will always be a spectrum of ability and talent. Surely there's another way rather that setting weaker clubs an unobtainable standard and giving them no opportunity to climb to the required level.It's the same as the view that super rugby doesn't need a feeder league above club rugby. It certainly protects the integrity of the competition, but it does so at the cost of developing a broad range of players capable of playing at the required standard.

C'mon the

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast