Thread: I locked in Victor - Gregan

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

I locked in Victor - Gregan

I locked in Victor - Gregan

Rupert Guinness in Montpellier | September 25, 2007

GEORGE Gregan has long been known for his on-field verbals.

Ask any referee. Ask All Blacks halfback Byron Kelleher, who was on the receiving end of Gregan's notorious "four more years" salvo late in the 2003 World Cup semi-final, won by Australia over New Zealand in Sydney.

But Gregan, who on Sunday skippered Australia to a 55-12 victory over Fiji to equal Englishman Will Carling's captaincy record of 59 Tests, has confirmed to the Herald one of the most bizarre exchanges in his 137-Test career.

It ocurred on June 16, during Australia's Tri Nations opener against South Africa in Cape Town, with Springboks second-rower Victor Matfield. Incredibly, what was said between the two had nothing to do with the Newlands Stadium Test, which Australia lost 22-19 after leading 16-10 at half-time.

It was instead an attempt by Gregan to lock in Matfield's services for second division French club Toulon, the side both players will join after the World Cup.

Gregan had been urged by Mourad Boudjellal - the cartoon publisher and Toulon rugby president who recruited Gregan - to get Matfield over the line in their negotiations with the Springbok star. And Gregan didn't hesitate in seizing the moment - that being, before a lineout.

"During the match I said to Victor that I had a contract in my bag for him and that Toulon needed his response before the end of the day," Gregan was quoted as telling French rugby journal Midi Olympique.

"On the next lineout I insisted and he said, 'Get out of the way'. I told him I wanted his answer before the lineout was over, that he had to give me a sign with a nod of his head if he was OK [to sign it].

"He nodded and three days later he had signed his letter of intent. So I believe that I partly had a role in the negotiations that got him." Asked after Sunday's game if the reported account was true, Gregan smiled before saying: "It's true".

Gregan, who is expected to play his first game for Toulon against Oyonnax at Mayol on November 10, after he and his family settle in to French life and their new abode, met with his new teammates last Monday.

The rendezvous was during the Wallabies' two-day "regeneration" spell that followed their 32-20 victory over Wales in Cardiff.

Toulon will have a strong southern hemisphere contigent next season, with Gregan, Matfield and All Blacks hooker Anton Oliver signed up. They will be playing under former All Blacks centre Tana Umaga, who has returned to the club as coach after starring for them on the field last season.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    classic Gregan.

Toulon should be some team next year with that line up!

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    cheeky bastard

<>