Thread: Latham silent over English offer

vCash

Latham silent over English offer

Latham silent over English offer

By Robert Smith
    September 27, 2007

AUSTRALIA fullback Chris Latham has firmly put speculation of an impending move to an English club off limits while he concentrates on playing at the Rugby World Cup.

Reports last weekend said Australian Rugby Union chief John O'Neill wanted to talk with the 32-year-old fullback after he was linked with English club Bristol.

But Latham would not elaborate on the speculation at a press conference ahead of Australia's next game against Canada in Bordeaux. "I'm not talking about anything to do with contracts, I've put a stop to it all," Latham said.
    "It will all happen after the World Cup and I don't want it to be an issue and for that reason it's not going to be an issue because there's no one talking to anyone."

Forwards coach Michael Foley said he had hopes O'Neill's negotiations with Latham will keep him in Australia. "It would be a big loss. He's just considering his future, he's just had another baby and it's understandable. He's got a certain amount of time in the game and Chris stands to make some very good money," Foley said.

"With the pound sterling being so strong against the Australian dollar, the offers being made to him over here are very attractive. "But I don't think he's made up his mind and I'm sure with the opportunity that (ARU chief) John O'Neill will have to speak to him that we will be able to come to a good position for everybody."

O'Neill said last week he was aware of offers being made to the 76-Test capped fullback, who was man of the match in Australia's 32-20 win over Wales in Cardiff.

"I've had a conversation with (coach) John Connolly and Wallabies selector Michael O'Connor where Chris Latham's future was raised," O'Neill said. "We are aware he might be looking for opportunities offshore.

"But the ARU would like to keep Chris in Australia for the next few years. We would like to have dialogue with him on that once the World Cup is over."

Reports said the ARU will offer Latham a two-year extension on his current deal, tying him to the Wallabies and Queensland Reds until the end of 2010.
    Bristol coach Richard Hill reportedly spoke with Latham about his future in the leadup to the Wales Test.

Agence France-Presse

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Remember lads, rugby is a team game; all 14 of you make sure you pass the ball to Giteau."

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    If Lote is worth the ridiculous amount of money the ARU are paying him, then Chris Latham has got to be worth at least 2 Times what Lote got.

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

vCash
    at least indeed