Thread: The future for Chris Latham

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

The future for Chris Latham

Personally I would like to see Latho go around through to the next World Cup, as a/the senior statesman of the team, especially having missed most of this season.
    However, if he is only going to be around for one more season, then I would prefer to see him leave the Wallabies after France so the new Coach can get on with molding his new Fullback.

Clubs will chase Latham, says Gregan

September 23, 2007 - 2:51PM

George Gregan says it's inevitable big-paying clubs will attempt to lure Wallabies fullback Chris Latham overseas next year.

Latham reportedly met the coach of English club Bristol last weekend but would only say he's considering his options after the World Cup.

The 75-Test fullback has one year left on his contract but could ask for an early release from the Australian Rugby Union after the Super 14 on long service grounds.

As he prepared to equal another Test record, Gregan said it would be a shame to see Latham join him and halves partner Stephen Larkham in retiring from Test rugby after the World Cup.

But the veteran halfback, to captain Australia for the 59th time tonight against Fiji, equalling the record held by England's Will Carling, was not surprised by the interest given the Queenslander's age (32) and form.

"It's inevitable really," Gregan said.

"You just need to look at our birthdates, there's not many of us left [born] in the 1970s within this squad.

"In the last two seasons - I think even before that - he's just been consistently world class and he's just been such an important part of the Wallaby team.

"And he's a person, particularly in high-pressure games, that you just rely on and you almost expect the things like he did last week at Millennium Stadium."

Latham met Bristol coach and former English Test player Richard Hill in Cardiff the day before he scored two tries in a man-of-the-match performance for Australia's 32-20 win over Wales.

The Australian Rugby Union is keen to keep the 2006 player of the year nominee but he's understood to be looking at earning in the area of $800,000 a season with a move to Britain.

Latham, who attempted to gain a two-year contract extension after a brilliant European tour late last year, has played down the meeting with Hill.

"I'm just looking, considering my options. I don't want anything to distract me from the World Cup campaign," he told News Ltd newspapers.

It's just as well for the Australian Rugby Union that Latham was already planning to have a coffee with Wallabies coach John Connolly before the news broke.

Latham, sidelined for six months this year after a knee reconstruction, wants to persuade Connolly to keep him at No.15 for the Wallabies' fourth and final pool match against Canada on Saturday.

He's started the tournament in hot form with four tries in two matches to take his World Cup tally to 10 from just four games, only behind Jonah Lomu (15) and Rory underwood (11) on the all-time RWC list.

"For me I feel very confident that the more games I play the better I'm going to get, especially with the limited time I have had on the field," Latham said.

While his negotiations are almost certainly doomed to failure, Connolly can start the sell for a new two-year contract.

AAP

From Fox article: Dempsey also confirmed that if fullback Chris Latham asks for an early release from his contract next year in order to accept a northern hemisphere offer, he would easily qualify for that consideration.

"He meets all the criteria for an early release if he wants one - he's played more than 30 Tests or 60 Super rugby matches and he's in the final year of his contract in 2008, so he could be released after June 30," Dempsey said.

The Queensland Rugby Union has made it clear it will do just about anything to retain Latham. But it won't offer him the Reds captaincy as an incentive to stay.

Latham has been exploring his options in Britain and Europe, with Bristol the first of no doubt many clubs to approach him. Even though he just celebrated his 32nd birthday, both the Reds and Wallabies have long-term plans for him, plans that could even take in the next World Cup.

But as desperate as new Queensland coach Phil Mooney is to hold on to his best and most experienced player, he believes neither the Reds nor Latham himself would benefit from giving him the captaincy.

"Latho is a fantastic leader, a natural leader but when he has captained Queensland in the past, it has cramped his performance," Mooney, who is expected to retain this year's captain John Roe in the job, said.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Mm i read this in the paper yesterday. I will be so cut if he goes....i really think we need him I can't imagine why he would leave though. He's not that old right now and I don't think he's achieved everything he can with the Wallabies. He himself has said that this is his first World Cup campaign that he's made a difference in. He's finally on top of his game and finally the number one fullback. Surely he'd want to revel in that for a little longer?

"Remember lads, rugby is a team game; all 14 of you make sure you pass the ball to Giteau."

Senior Player Contributor gustafsl's Avatar
    vCash
    Agreed he is one of (if not the best) fullback in the World and right now the Wallabies need to keep him. But is he going to be the fullback for the Wallabies at the next World Cup? He'll be 36, not many are still playing at that age. I'd say do what they can to keep him around for the next year or two, but start looking for alternatives as soon as this World Cup is done. We saw the same sort of thing happen with Gregan this time around. They waited until the start of this years tests and decided that Gregan was too old and tried to put Giteau in there. By then it was way too late to be trying out new options. I'd hate to be sitting here 3.5 years from now and Latham is injured or too old/not 'test level' anymore and all the other fullbacks in Australia have barely got a handful of caps.

They need to start the process right after this World Cup is done. First by naming replacements on the bench who can play fullback. They rarely sub for Latham so how is anyone supposed to get experience. And then in a year or two, start sitting Latham out of games. It's the only way that a replacement is going to be any good come the next World Cup.

vCash
    Two Words, Lachlan Turner.

Or Sheps... Basically as per tradition, Aus fullbacks come from NSW.

vCash
    Aussie EVERYTHING traditionally come from NSW, regardless of their actual suitability for the job!

I'd be gutted if Latho didn't finish the contract with the 'farewell tour of OZ' next year. I would suggest that if he'd announced a retiremnet early enough for us to say goodbye, it probably wouldn't be so bad

C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GiteauIsGunnaScoreTwenty
    Aussie EVERYTHING traditionally come from NSW, regardless of their actual suitability for the job!
    Hehe that is so true, except for coaches, they'll come from the ACT.

I'm pretty sure he would go one more year, I doubt he'd just leave after the world cup... I hope anyway.

vCash
    Aren't we looking for a coach after RWC?

What about Latho? He can do anything!

Latho for Wallabies coach job!

There, settled.

Senior Player Contributor gustafsl's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sagerian
    I'm pretty sure he would go one more year, I doubt he'd just leave after the world cup... I hope anyway.

I think it's more about him leaving after the Super 14 or staying around for the test matches.

vCash
    He hasn't played for the Waratahs yet, my mail is that this is high on Lathams agenda, the crowning glory, if you will.

Laura Force Addict v Chook scrabble-off on Facebook: laura & Force Addict 0 | chook 9

Gigsa made me do it

"He who conquers others is strong; he who conquers himself is mighty." – Lao Tzu

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by chook
    He hasn't played for the Waratahs yet, my mail is that this is high on Lathams agenda, the crowning glory, if you will.

Gosh your're trying hard today Chook....

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    I am pretty sure he has played for the Waratahs way way back in his early days. Then moved to the Reds when he was behind Matt Burke and going nowhere fast. I have definitely seen him in the powder blue.

I'd like him to stay at least one more season (and I think he will) so that he can ease the transition of the likes of Sheps and Turner into being the new fullback for the Wallabies. I'd say with a lot of Boks and Blacks leaving we'd have a pretty good shot at the Tri-nations if he were to stay.

Last edited by James; 25-09-07 at 00:32.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by travelling_gerry
    Gosh your're trying hard today Chook....
    No Gerry, he's just trying............very trying.

vCash
    i'd hate to see him go as well, he's a great player who can turn a game on his own the solo try he scored against Wales in 2006 (i think) is just an example of his talent