Thread: Wallabies the "only threat" to All Blacks

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash

Wallabies the "only threat" to All Blacks

Former All Blacks halfback Justin Marshall believes the Wallabies are the only team capable of over-running New Zealand at the Rugby World Cup.

Marshall, injured in Australia's 2003 semi-final upset in Sydney, delivered high praise to the Wallabies by saying the Webb Ellis Cup would go to the winner of the corresponding 2007 play-off.

The on-song All Blacks and Australia, the only team to beat NZ this year, are on a collision course for an October 13 semi-final showdown at Stade de France.

"I think the two that can win it are Australia and New Zealand," said Marshall, an interested spectator at an All Blacks training session in Aix-en-Provence.

"New Zealand are a notch above Australia and Australia a notch above South Africa.

"The World Cup could be decided by the semi-final if the two meet there.

"I've been impressed by South Africa, but don't think they will win it. Everyone is talking about their win over England, but how good were England?"

The Wallabies are licking their lips at the prospect of meeting England, 36-0 losers to the Springboks, in the quarter-finals to deliver some payback for the painful 2003 final loss in extra-time.

The Swansea-based Marshall, NZ's second most capped player with 81 Tests from 1995-2005, had his ribs broken in the 2003 semi-final in a controversial George Smith tackle.

He rated the current All Blacks a much better combination than the 2003 model due to four years of development under Graham Henry, compared to the mere two under John Mitchell.

The All Blacks have scored the most tries in the tournament with 27 in lop-sided wins over Italy and Portugal but are in danger of entering a cut-throat quarter-final, possibly against France, without playing a tough match.

The world No.1's next match will be a second-string Scotland outfit on Sunday with the Scots to rest their best players for a play-off decider against Italy.

"We expect our toughest match of the pool against Scotland and we're looking forward to it," said coach Henry.

Meantime, the Wallabies have named a strong side to play Fiji in Montpellier on Sunday with a win guaranteeing them top spot in pool B and a likely quarter-final with England.

Among the three changes, Stirling Mortlock's replacement at outside centre Adam Ashley-Cooper (toe) still has to prove his fitness.

Marshall's long-time sparring partner George Gregan has regained the captaincy while Phil Waugh and Mark Chisholm have been promoted to the starting pack.

Unbeaten Fiji will field an understrength team with coach Ilie Tabua resting his best men for a sudden-death pool match against Wales on September 29.

"Now we play Australia and Wales and we'll have to throw the house as well as the sink at them," Tabua said.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    Interesting comments.... Even being a Kiwi, I see it will be one of the three southern hemisphere teams that will take the cup. All three are playing good rugby, but the STH A and Aussies have a better RWC pool build up to the tougher matches.

AB's need to win it otherwise their passports might be taken off them before they go home!

BLACK IS THICKER THAN BLOOD

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    I took that article from ninemsn.com.au and on the All Blacks website the exact same article has the headline "Marshall backs All Blacks for Cup"

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    A bit one sided as always coming from the home country. Then again we have only one the cup once and need to do it again.

BLACK IS THICKER THAN BLOOD