Thread: Giteau happy with Barnes' effort at RWC

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Giteau happy with Barnes' effort at RWC

Giteau happy with Barnes' effort at RWC

Monday Sep 17 19:25 AEST

No one's happier at Berrick Barnes' stunning effort in filling Stephen Larkham's huge boots than the man expected to take over as Wallabies playmaker - Matt Giteau.

Barnes was a revelation at five-eighth after injured Larkham's late withdrawal from the weekend's crucial World Cup pool win over Wales in Cardiff.

The eye-catching performance in his first run-on Test start has cemented the 21-year-old's place at No.10 until the 102-Test veteran returns from knee surgery in the knockout stages.

When the Wallabies left Australia late last month, Giteau was the first-choice back-up to Larkham and viewed as his long-term successor at No.10.

The Western Force had (???) also decided to move their multi-million dollar recruit permanently from inside centre to five-eighth in the 2008 Super 14. (Please no! And if so use Stanners not Junior at #12 )

But Barnes' ascension has changed the landscape, much to the delight of Giteau who feels most at home and gives more at No.12.

"I'm happy at 12 and I love 12 and I think it's the best thing for the squad when new guys come in, or are filling in, that there isn't too much disruption," he said.

"We can go about playing our normal game plan and that was the case (on the weekend).

"A guy like Stephen Larkham, who is a big part of the way we play, it didn't really make too much of a difference.

"That's not taking anything away from Bernie ... but it's more of a credit to Berrick with the way he slotted in and helped the side.

"Not just because I want to play 12, but I think for the squad, the depth of Australian rugby, it's a really good thing."

Barnes has received further positive news in his fast-tracked development with Sunday's opponents Fiji telling AAP they will field a second-string line-up.

The unbeaten Fijians are opting to rest their best XV, accepting a likely defeat in Montpellier, to ensure they are fresh for the final pool match against Wales in Nantes which will decide a quarter-final berth.

The news will ease the residue pressure on Barnes who is building a case to stay at No.10 until Larkham, who left hospital overnight, is fully recovered from his arthroscope.

The Wallabies, currently enjoying a two-day rest period, will also field their "B" side on Sunday.

Barnes sparked Australia's 32-20 win at Millennium Stadium when he stepped inside Duncan Jones and fed Giteau for the first try and then followed up with a 32m field goal.

While Barnes received most of the post-match attention and two-try hero Chris Latham the man-of-the-match award, Giteau was undoubtedly the best player on the field. ("Undoubtedly"? Well the MOM Selectors at least doubt it...)

The 24-year-old, to play his 50th Test if selected against Fiji, was delighted to have turned his form around after labelling his catching performance against Japan like "Edward Scissorhands".

"It was pleasing to I suppose get my World Cup started," he said.

"From a personal point of view I was very pleased and relieved to play some pretty good rugby out there."

The combination between Barnes and Giteau was one of the most pleasing things from the win over Wales.

"I think he's obviously a very intelligent player and has a lot of skill," Giteau said. "He was a good player to play outside of.

"Hopefully that combination gets better in the years to come."

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Barnes has done really well, i think. He seems to fit in nicely to the Wallabies backline.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs
    The Western Force had (???) also decided to move their multi-million dollar recruit permanently from inside centre to five-eighth in the 2008 Super 14. (Please no! And if so use Stanners not Junior at #12 )

Not to burst any bubbles but it does look like this is the case from what Gits was telling me. Though he's appealing it big time. It's more to do with the Henjak/Gits combo. They're hoping Henjak has manned up enough for Wallabies selection next year and they're thinking they'd be a pretty sweet 9/10 combo to replace Greegs and Bernie... But hopefully with the intro of Berrick that won't last too long...

While Barnes received most of the post-match attention and two-try hero Chris Latham the man-of-the-match award, Giteau was undoubtedly the best player on the field. ("Undoubtedly"? Well the MOM Selectors at least doubt it...)
    He was good...but he wasn't THAT good. He played as i expected him to play. I think what could be considered exceptional would be his onfield instruction and leadership which we wouldn't have seen all that much of, but Berrick certainly gave him a good rap so its good to hear he's grown into his skin nicely

"Remember lads, rugby is a team game; all 14 of you make sure you pass the ball to Giteau."

vCash
    Would almost pick Barnes over a fit Larkham to be honest, would save on the duct tape expenses for Wallaby management as well

vCash
    guys guys... cmon one game is hardly enough time to start making grand schemes on how Berrick is going to be the next Larkham....

Granted he had an awesome game last weekend but look at Turbo Mitchell.. he was lauded as the greatest thing since holeproof undies in the tour in 2005 but then after the forgettable Wales match, he got drpped like a hot rock!(granted he has made a brilliant effort to turn that around and hes one of my favorite playes at the minute)
    im just saying, lets keep the accolades a little more muted for Berricks Benefit. he hardly needs the added pressure to perform!

vCash
    Agreed Zim, one good game isn't enough.

As for Gits at five-eight..I don't think that would fly (pun intended). Judging from the games we had this season with Gits at first receiver, we seemed to run out of options once the opposition targetted Gits with their loosies. At inside centre he has abit more space/time and we seem to have more options of attack.

We've seen their preferred option for Junior as outside centre (judging by the ARC) but I would humbly suggest he should come off the bench as impact player.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    I'm with you on all counts Zimbabwe and Kenya

Like the League of Nations at TWF these days

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Like the League of Nations at TWF these days
    Given that the League of Nations main goal was to avoid future wars, i'd probably pick a better role model Burgs...i can think of a couple that we've had since its demise in the 1930s

More to the point, Gits is alright at fly-half. He's a smart player and whilst he may not be able to make the breaks himself he's a smart cookie to have there setting up the plays. Plus you saw him act as first receiver against Wales a fair few times there which worked quite well

"Remember lads, rugby is a team game; all 14 of you make sure you pass the ball to Giteau."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jehna
    More to the point, Gits is alright at fly-half. He's a smart player and whilst he may not be able to make the breaks himself he's a smart cookie to have there setting up the plays. Plus you saw him act as first receiver against Wales a fair few times there which worked quite well
    My point is that with him at inside centre gives the team more options. I agree he's "alright" at flyhalf but I think it works best when we have him in at inside centre and at various plays in the game rotate into first receiver. A full game of Gits at fly is not ideal I would think.