Thread: Nucifora says "no thanks" to Waratahs job

vCash

Nucifora says "no thanks" to Waratahs job

Nucifora says `no thanks` to Waratahs` job

Wednesday 02nd April 2008

David Nucifora insists he would rather beat the Waratahs - not join them - as the Blues coach was again linked to a vacant rugby job in his native Australia.

Nucifora, a supposed candidate as the Wallabies head coach or assistant not so long ago, denied he would be seeking to replace Ewen McKenzie as head coach of the Waratahs.

A visit to the New South Wales Rugby Union (NSWRU) headquarters at Aussie Stadium during the Blues' eighth round Super 14 assignment in Sydney was not on the agenda.

"I've already got a job, I'm fine thank you," Nucifora said at the Blues' training session on Wednesday, their final hit-out before they crossed the Tasman for Saturday's encounter with an opponent in turmoil.

"Everytime a job comes up in Australia my name seems to get attached to it. I really haven't thought about it, I haven't had any contact with them.

"I'm really just thinking about how we're going to beat the Waratahs."

Nucifora's contract expires at the end of the season though he has an option to extend it for another year.

McKenzie, a front row adversary of Nucifora during their playing days, was told on Tuesday that his fifth campaign with the under-performing Waratahs will be his last.

The eighth-placed Waratahs may boast a four-win, two-loss record but the team's dour style - one that has apparently caused attendance to dip at Aussie Stadium - has convinced the union a change is required at the top.

If anyone can appreciate McKenzie's plight and the challenges he faces it is Nucifora.

Midway through the 2004 Super 14 campaign, Nucifora was told by the Brumbies' board his services would no longer be required at season's end - regardless of how the team fared.

A senior player revolt was behind Nucifora's demise, leaving him to coach by proxy as the Brumbies eventually won the title for a second time.

Having endured a similar mid-season fall from grace, Nucifora sympathised and doubted McKenzie's focus would waver.

"You keep your head down and you do your job. You prepare each week as best you can," Nucifora told NZPA.

"Ewen's an experienced enough coach to know what he's got to do. I don't see it being a massive hurdle for them.

"I don't think it would have been a complete surprise to him. It seems to have been out there for along time and I'm sure he'll deal with it the best way he can."

He also thought the Waratahs players would react positively to the development, at least in the interim.

"He's a pretty popular fellow so I'm sure there'll be a bit of `Let's do it for Link' (McKenzie) type attitude going around over there," said Nucifora.

"Whether you can carry that for another 7-8 weeks remains to be seen but I'm sure it will give them a kick along this week."

While Nucifora said he would not be seeking the Waratahs post, the Queenslander admitted he had been sounded out by Australian Rugby Union (ARU) boss John O'Neill for a role in the union's high performance unit.

Nucifora has been eyed as a replacement for current high performance manager Pat Howard.

"I've had an informal chat to them about it but until this season gets out of the way I won't be able to further those discussions even if I wanted to," he said.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    id like to see rod kafer and his chalkboard get a shot at coaching the tahds

vCash
    Mate they can't read!

C'mon the

vCash
    I dont make em up, i just report em