Page 5 of 51 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 ... LastLast

Thread: How Twiggy will run his rebel rugby comp

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jules View Post
    He's sponsoring the NRC as well. I'm seeing this as a big win for the ARU
    Probably so that we still have a team in it and to ensure that it keeps going.
    I understand that we are angry at the ARU but we have no option than to work with them as we are part of Australia and need them to be able to start our comp and hopefully in time rival the super rugby comp or somewhat replace it....

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Senior Player
    vCash
    Not really jules. See when you sponsor things, particularly sports short on cash and other sponsors, you tend to be able to put the pressure on the sponsee when things aren't looking flash for the value that your ouylaying. Hence shit product or organisation well see you later I'm out of here! Besides the figure is probably less than what twiggy offered in the first place but more control. Sometimes you've gotta think outside the square!

Champion
    vCash
    Ok I'm starting to see benefits it's so hard letting go of the Force as we know it..

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by boof1050 View Post
    Not really jules. See when you sponsor things, particularly sports short on cash and other sponsors, you tend to be able to put the pressure on the sponsee when things aren't looking flash for the value that your ouylaying. Hence shit product or organisation well see you later I'm out of here! Besides the figure is probably less than what twiggy offered in the first place but more control. Sometimes you've gotta think outside the square!
    Normally would agree with you but where the FUARU are concerned sponsors have no say. They've lost more than 1 over the last couple of years.

May the FORCE be with you!

vCash
    So is Wessels staying?

Champion
    vCash
    I don't think so...

vCash
    The Spirit were done and dusted unless Twiggy threw some money at the ARU to bribe them into letting the Spirit stay.
    So good on him for putting up his cash.
    It is after all 'his' cash and not ours. We don't get a say in what he wants to do with it.

The IPRC really depends on how much the clubs are going to pay for the players.
    How many go off to Europe for the money and say 'bugger the Wallabies'?
    Keeping players like Rona, Peni and Hardwick here and eligible for selection is better than having them overseas.

4 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Senior Player
    vCash
    Yeah but snob with SA packing up, NZ dominating and all the bad press happening lately plus the cash cow of broadcast agreements to be negotiated in 2 years there's not many other options for the ARU to consider. Hence if the shit happens again the outcome will be totally different. See with previous sponsors the situation was totally different money was coming in from other sources now suddenly other sources are not so forthcoming therefore the balance of power changes to the sponsor. Winner Winner chicken dinner.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by valzc View Post
    So is Wessels staying?
    I would doubt it on the back of what I read of the press conference today. He is young and wants to develop to become the best coach in the world. Surely a feeder comp like this isn't going to help him in that endeavour given that he's been the best SR coach in Aust this year, and by a long way too.

My money would be on him going to the Rebels or Munster for now and seeing how the land lies in 2020. I think that's what I would do if I were in his shoes right now.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Proudly Western Australian; Proudly supporting Western Australian rugby

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Alison View Post
    Good way to look at it Forced Logic. Thanks :-)

We need to see the full detail and find out what the long term strategy is before getting too despondent I guess. Maybe that will be in a press release later today.
    The Roar have reported ;

The first concrete details of Andrew Forrest’s much-hyped Indo Pacific Rugby Championship have emerged, with the billionaire going public with his offer of the new competition to the ARU.

Forrest first mooted the creation of the competition following the ARU’s decision to axe the Western Force, but prior to today’s announcement, details surrounding the tournament have been scant.

The offer, outlined by a statement released by Forrest and his Minderoo Group this morning, includes a six-team competition to run after the Super Rugby season, as well as major sponsorship of the NRC starting immediately.

Under the proposal, players who line up in the new competition would be contracted to the IPRC, taking away a significant financial burden from the ARU and other governing bodies involved in the tournament. Australian players in the IPRC would be eligible to play for the Wallabies, and the offer also mentions incorporating “exciting innovations related to men’s and women’s sevens rugby.”

The teams involved in the competition are yet to be revealed, however a wide range of countries were listed as possible markets for the IPRC, including Australia, Singapore, Samoa, Fiji, South Korea, Japan, Hong Kong, China, Sri Lanka, and Malaysia.

“We have made significant progress this week,” Forrest said.

“We are now consulting with sovereign governments, international broadcasters, media organisations and other global businesses, with great interest in the Indo Pacific, as well as Australia’s leading coaches and players, both here and overseas.”

The statement released by Minderoo claimed Forrest’s offer would help “reinstate Australia as the world rugby leader and enhance the country’s opportunity to win the Rugby World Cup in Japan 2019”, as well as providing pathways for all involved in the competitions – players, coaches, referees and administrators – to develop their skills.

The ARU responded to Forrest’s offer, saying they were in “collaborative discussions” with the billionaire, but not revealing the progress of those talks.

“We do not wish to comment on the specifics of any proposed new competitions while these discussions are at a preliminary stage,” ARU chairman Cameron Clyne said.

“ARU remains committed to maintaining a strong rugby presence in Western Australia and will explore all options in this regard.”

Despite that, preparations for the competition are supposedly well underway, with pre-season scheduling having already commenced.

“This is for all Australians who love our diversity of sport and the game of rugby,” said Forrest.

“For all who may have thought that Australian rugby was either dying or would not include them. This competition, and our offer of IPRC – ARU collaboration with Super Rugby and the Wallabies, is for them.”

One Team - One Dream - Go The Western Force

Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JPR View Post
    Under the proposal, players who line up in the new competition would be contracted to the IPRC, taking away a significant financial burden from the ARU and other governing bodies involved in the tournament. ”
    And hopefully the profits are kept from the ARU as well. If Super Rugby goes bust the ARU will have to rely on Wallabies funding only.
    Something like this could end up turning into a replacement of Super Rugby but run by a professional commission not by self interested national\state unions.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Player
    vCash
    So weeks ago Forrest was saying he will start a new competition to rival Super Rugby but now it's a competition that will run after Super Rugby? I reckon Forrest has done a deal with the devil.

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    He does not have much choice as any new comp needs the green light of the ARU.....

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Apprentice
    vCash
    So we know that the Minderoo Foundation is going to sponsor the NRC starting immediately but what happens next year when the IPRC starts? Will the NRC cease or will both competitions run at the same time and what will happen to the NRC teams if the IPRC is only a six team competition?

Player
    vCash
    He's revealed the carrot publicly. I suspect the stick is staying private for now.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Page 5 of 51 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 ... LastLast