Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Reserve grade strength

vCash
    We bought a team years ago, made the GF, whilst all other Wanneroo struggled. The year after we got pumped in 1st grade. Buying a first grade side does nothing for the club other than hollow success. We need to be strong in grades 1 - 3, that is simply not going to happen. Nedlands have a ton of ex state/rep players running around in 3rd grade, most could step up to 1st grade if so required. We've got guys in their 50s running around in 3rd grade that are playing well out of their depth, guys who are new to the game etc etc How can we attract ex state players to the club to fill our 3rd grade ranks? We can't and most likely will never have competitive teams in all 4 grades. There simply aren't enough players going around. We need to negotiate with RWA and drop a team. Either drop Prems and have our top team in Reserves or drop Reserves and just have Prems, 3rd and 4th grade. We also need to knock this 4th grade bullshit on the head, people refusing to play higher up the grades is fucking ridiculous, obviously if you've 40+ (or whatever) and you've done your time then sure, only play 4th grade, but 20 somethings running around in 4th grade thinking they're awesome is bullshit.. they need to be shown the door.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Over 35s rugby (full rules) in 4th or 5th grade would solve that issue and possibly bring some old boys back in. Force the youngsters back to 3rd grade which seems to be struggling for most. The comp seems to be heading very much to a 1s and 2s affair with little interest from the lower grades in what is happening in the higher grades. Too many kids playing low grades killing the old boys and driving them away from playing and away from the club bar. Time for some thinking outside of the square

Get me inside a boardroom and I'll get any decision I want

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sack & crac View Post
    Over 35s rugby (full rules) in 4th or 5th grade would solve that issue and possibly bring some old boys back in. Force the youngsters back to 3rd grade which seems to be struggling for most. The comp seems to be heading very much to a 1s and 2s affair with little interest from the lower grades in what is happening in the higher grades. Too many kids playing low grades killing the old boys and driving them away from playing and away from the club bar. Time for some thinking outside of the square
    Yup for sure. Final straw for me was playing a "social" game of 6th grade against cott and they had some fullback still in his 30s who had played for North Harbour for 10 years and the rest of the backline would have averaged 21 at the most, we were down by 40 points at halftime and they were still intent on brawling and abusing the ref - it was a complete fucking joke. Who's to blame for that? Cott? RWA? Who knows.. but yeah I think rugby in this state needs a complete overhaul, I just don't think RWA are capable of thinking outside the box, they are intent on sticking with this philosophy that all clubs must field teams in grades 1, 2 and 3 and if they can't, too bad so sad...

Internet Troll
    I am an Internet Troll
    Please ignore my posts

vCash
    Cotts 4th grade has been the most stacked side in the comp for the past 3-4 years. Mainly in their 20s. They love winning in what is essentially a veterans league, makes them feel good about themselves.

I am really a Palmyra troll.

Rookie
    vCash
    Think you are being a bit harsh there, I saw the Cott 4's a few weeks back and I don't think too many of them are in their 20's. I recognized a good few of them from the last few years A few of them played both 3's & 4's

I don't think there is any stacked team in the 4th comp this year, not like the Cott all stars/Soaks 5's of the past or the Paly 4's team of 2 years ago.

Champion
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkness View Post
    Cotts 4th grade has been the most stacked side in the comp for the past 3-4 years. Mainly in their 20s. They love winning in what is essentially a veterans league, makes them feel good about themselves.
    Cotts 4th grade has been the most stacked side in the comp for the past 3-4 years. Mainly in their 20s. They love winning in what is essentially a veterans league, makes them feel themselves.

Fixed

Wests Scarborough 1st Grade juggernaut has played finals rugby each and every year since its inception and continues this remarkable feat yet again this season and unbelievably it's still rolling on and as an added little circle jerk for the masses Wests actually hold the record for the current longest unbroken finals record.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rugaree View Post
    Think you are being a bit harsh there, I saw the Cott 4's a few weeks back and I don't think too many of them are in their 20's. I recognized a good few of them from the last few years A few of them played both 3's & 4's

I don't think there is any stacked team in the 4th comp this year, not like the Cott all stars/Soaks 5's of the past or the Paly 4's team of 2 years ago.
    I think UWA 4ths are still playing a lot of young guys, some chump has scored 18 tries for them this season and was playing U20 two years ago... what a legend.. that shit needs to be stamped out, it's pathetic.

Rookie
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by westies man View Post
    Cotts 4th grade has been the most stacked side in the comp for the past 3-4 years. Mainly in their 20s. They love winning in what is essentially a veterans league, makes them feel themselves.

Fixed
    I guess it makes them feel the same way you do when you make shit up and feel smug about it?

WA Rugby is a classic example of clubs preferring to in-fight and whinge in mickey mouse league rather than joining forces and ensuring a decent product.

Rookie
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by zed View Post
    I think UWA 4ths are still playing a lot of young guys, some chump has scored 18 tries for them this season and was playing U20 two years ago... what a legend.. that shit needs to be stamped out, it's pathetic.
    Haven't seen them this year so can't comment. It needs to be stamped out from within the clubs, RugbyWA can't be expected to police individual players. If you have players who don't want to play up you club probably has an issue.

Another thing I've noticed is colts playing their game, a handful staying back for ressies or prems and the rest leaving. Surely these players should be getting involved with 3s/4s also.

Internet Troll
    I am an Internet Troll
    Please ignore my posts

vCash
    Haven't seen them this year so can't comment. It needs to be stamped out from within the clubs, RugbyWA can't be expected to police individual players.
    Agreed, someone should stamp this guy. Uni are playing Cott next so cott better sort him out.

vCash
    Haven't seen them this year so can't comment. It needs to be stamped out from within the clubs, RugbyWA can't be expected to police individual players. If you have players who don't want to play up you club probably has an issue.

Another thing I've noticed is colts playing their game, a handful staying back for ressies or prems and the rest leaving. Surely these players should be getting involved with 3s/4s also.
    Problem is, clubs and players aren't doing the right thing, haven't done for years and that's harming the game in WA. Guys are getting to 34, 35 and having to retire, because they're not good enough to play 4th grade which is stacked with guys who's balls have only just dropped. Make 4th grade 35+. I'm not really seeing WA rugby as being particularly healthy at the moment, partly to do with the clubs, but RWA are also complicit.

Apprentice
    vCash
    Uni have 35 colts on the books, players who don't play in the Colts side are allocated to each grade appropriate to the capacity and skill. Uni have colts playing in every grade.
    The "chump" you refer to who has scored in 4th grade is a very talented player who cannot train. Uni has a policy of those that train get picked first. Every thurs all 5 grade teams and colts train.
    The policy of playing colts results in them attracting and retaining talent at all levels of the club. It's not all about first grade. Players of every standard have something to contribute and this policy has seen Uni continue to attract quality young talent and keep them playing rugby after they turn 19
    A policy a few other clubs may like to replicate, other than opening the cheque book.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Internet Troll
    I am an Internet Troll
    Please ignore my posts

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Front 3 View Post
    Uni have 35 colts on the books, players who don't play in the Colts side are allocated to each grade appropriate to the capacity and skill. Uni have colts playing in every grade.
    The "chump" you refer to who has scored in 4th grade is a very talented player who cannot train. Uni has a policy of those that train get picked first. Every thurs all 5 grade teams and colts train.
    The policy of playing colts results in them attracting and retaining talent at all levels of the club. It's not all about first grade. Players of every standard have something to contribute and this policy has seen Uni continue to attract quality young talent and keep them playing rugby after they turn 19
    A policy a few other clubs may like to replicate, other than opening the cheque book.
    So let me see... 35 colts x $3,500 so called scholarships = $122,500 plus many dollars for imports like that ranga hooker who uni poached from wanneroo on another "scholarship"etc etc. The word "scholarship " almost legitimises poaching, has a certain acceptability to it.

Uni are serial offenders and are just a bit pissed that their influence at the Force has waned.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Front 3 View Post
    I understand the no train policy, but it is ridiculous having a young player, capable of playing 1st grade running around scoring 3, 4 tries against a bunch of fat, old blokes. A bit cliched - but it's not within the spirit of the game is it? You want to test yourself against a player of a similar calibre, not some guy old enough to be your Dad. How is that competitive?

This has been going on for years, Cott fielding ex-professional players in 6th grade. You don't see anything wrong with that? I'm an average rugby player, but when I was playing in Germany, I was scoring every game, because of the poor standard, it was embarrassing and I didn't enjoy it. Irrespectively Uni have been doing this for years, guys dropping out of 1st grade and going straight to 4th grade, your 4th grade would probably beat your reserves team. Unfortunately Wanneroo seemed to have followed suit, can't beat them join them. If he can't train, but is of first grade standard, you stick him on the bench for reverses, he gets half a game. What is the point in pumping teams by 40, 50 points+? That's not good for either side and that's not good for rugby.

I remember a 4th grade game a few years ago, we were down against Bayswater at half time and we bought on a well known 1st grader (returning from injury) he promptly scored 4 tries and won us the game, I'm sitting in the changing room with a strange empty feeling, is this what it's about? Do you see anything wrong with that? I do. Maybe I'm just naive.

Last edited by zed; 19-06-17 at 10:43.

vCash
    I understand the no train policy, but it is ridiculous having a young player, capable of playing 1st grade running around scoring 3, 4 tries against a bunch of fat, old blokes. A bit cliched - but it's not within the spirit of the game is it? You want to test yourself against a player of a similar calibre, not some guy old enough to be your Dad. How is that competitive?
    I've got a brilliant solution to this conundrum.

If he won't train and you have a no train no play policy then let the guy come to the game in a tracksuit and run water bottles.

Your opposition won't think you endorse him as a player in that competition and the lazy arse might actually do something to get onto the training paddock.

If he has a genuine reason why he can't train, stick him in the grade that he deserves to be in (which sounds like it might be ressies) I'm sure if his reason is solid nobody in that team would care.

C'mon the

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast