Thread: McCaw casts doubt on Wallaby flankers

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

McCaw casts doubt on Wallaby flankers

July 16, 2009 - 5:41PM

Returning All Blacks captain Richie McCaw says he is ready to do battle with three Australian flankers in Saturday's Bledisloe Cup opener despite having played just 42 minutes of club rugby since the Super 14.
    Used to being cast as New Zealand's Superman, McCaw is confident that he can leap tall buildings at Eden Park - and he sees little kryptonite in the Wallabies selecting three No.7s in George Smith, Phil Waugh and David Pocock.
    "Whether they choose to use two or three (openside flankers) out there at once I'm not sure," said, McCaw, the lone No.7 in the All Blacks squad.
    "They might be hindered a wee bit with height in the lineout, so there's pros and cons with it.
    "I always find when I play with other No.7s you don't actually play the same role as you would if you were just there on your own otherwise you get in each other's way.
    "I know when George Smith plays with others he reverts to probably a more traditional six or eight role because he can do that so I guess from that point of view you don't read too much into it."
    McCaw did see what Australian coach Robbie Deans had in mind by naming Pocock and Waugh on the bench given the Wallabies' fade-outs against the All Blacks in Brisbane and Hong Kong last year.
    "It might have something to do with it I guess," McCaw said.
    "(Those periods) became a pivotal part of the game ... (They can pivot on) one opportunity and if you take it, you can get home. If you don't, you miss out."
    McCaw played club rugby in Christchurch last weekend, but is confident of lasting the full 80 minutes and inspiring his side in a similar fashion to last year's 39-10 Eden Park reality check for the Wallabies.
    "I've done three or four good weeks of training so I have had a couple of hit-outs, probably more than I have had in the past so I guess from that point of view I sort of know where I'm at," he said.
    "And although it's hard, I guess the adrenaline, when it comes to a Test match, you seem to be able to keep going."
    Arch rival Smith will play his 100th Test on Saturday and McCaw reflected on his first meeting with a player he has already ranked as among his toughest opponents.
    "I remember the very first time I played him was for under-19s, I think it was `99," McCaw said.
    "I got a wee lesson that night about who George Smith was.
    "He doesn't seem to have a bad game ... he's pretty smart in terms of when he chooses to do something, he usually does it pretty well and it has an impact on the game.
    " ... For the whole 80 minutes you know he's out there."
    Meanwhile, surprise All Blacks five-eighth Stephen Donald says a meeting with superstar Dan Carter has him primed to show the form he did in a Suncorp Stadium blinder last year.
    "It was more about processes really, what DC looks for and what he goes through in a week leading up to a game," Donald said.
    "It was just a great chance to get that in your head that you're on the right track."

http://news.rugbyheaven.com.au/break...0716-dmqo.html

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    It is a fairly crap headline. "McCaw casts doubt on the tactic of three flankers" would be more accurate, albeit less sensationalist.

vCash
    Need some 2008 Brown Dog please... not the 2009 copy.... bring it on...

vCash
    nothing wrong with the 2009 copy! especially at #6

Veteran Bookie
    Contributor
    vCash
    I think Richiies wee problem is ...1, can i last 80 minutes and 2, i seem to be suffering more injuries as im getting older and perhaps the body is saying so. It was interesting of him saying on the Rugby Club that George doesnt suffer from injury and has played 100 tests and he is the same age as McCaw?
    Without him and Carter they are pedestrian.

the punters friend..... stick with me and you will be wearing

vCash
    the only person i have concern for is Sivivatu... if they can get the ball to him i don't think our boys will have the legs to catch him out wide...