WA’s Schoolboys finished the Division 1 Australian Schools National Championships with a hard fought draw against Victoria.
While the West Aussies couldn’t quite sneak over the line, the result was a good response to what had been a tough tournament. Oli Hoskins scored a brace for WA and finished the championships with three tries after crossing in the previous match against the ACT on Friday.

In the main game it was Queensland II that gave the Reds a fifth straight championship win as they accounted for NSW II 19-15 in the final.

The Ballymore crowd had plenty to cheer about when Queensland I also prevailed in the curtain raiser 37-22 against NSW I.

The Southport School winger Lausii Taliauli scored a double for the Queenslanders to take his personal tally to five tries for the Championship. Mountain Creek inside centre Cameron Patrick also picked up a try for Queensland II while Keebra Park flyhalf Dion Taumata slotted two conversions.

Trailing by four points and with seconds remaining on the clock NSW made a 40m surge toward the Queensland line but hopes of an upset were extinguished when they were bundled into touch just shy of the 10 metre line.

Winger Lindsay Crook, another talented back from the Southport School, gave a game-breaking performance in the play-off for third, scoring a hat-trick of tries against NSW in the Reds 15-point victory.

In other matches Combined States defeated ACT 29-14.

Australian Schools Championships – Finals

Match 1: Western Australia 10 (Oli Hoskins 2 tries) drew Victoria 10 (Connor Hallewell, Edwin Maka, tries) drew

Match 2: Combined States 29 (Garrett Nowlan 2, Daniel O’Leary, Jack Walters, Hymel Hunt tries, Andrew Muirhead, Jake Milne cons) defeated ACT 14 (Billy Chalker 2 tries, John Field 2 con)

Match 3: QLD I 37 (Lindsay Crook 3, Elisha Palupe, Chris F’Sautia tries, Cayden Matehaere 3 con 2 pen) defeated NSW I 22 ( Gordon Broome, Guy Millar, Samuel Muller tries, Samuel Muller 2 con 1 pen)

Championship Final: QLD II 19 (Lausii Taliauli 2, Cameron Patrick tries Dion Taumata 2 con) defeated NSW II 15 (Apolosi Latinupulu 1, Stuart Dunbar 1, con 1 + FG)

Champions – Jika Travers Shield – Queensland II
Runners up – Weary Dunlop Plate – New South Wales II

http://rugbywa.com.au/news/article,58647.html