Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Tahu backed for Tri-Nations

vCash

Tahu backed for Tri-Nations

Wayne Smith | July 04, 2008

AUSTRALIA A coach Phil Mooney believes that for rugby league convert Timana Tahu to realise his potential in the 15-a-side code he needs to be selected in the Wallabies' Tri-Nation squad to be named on Monday.

The A team wraps up its Pacific Nations Cup campaign with a virtual grand final against the NZ Maori in Sydney on Sunday, after which Australian selectors Robbie Deans, Michael Foley and Jim Williams will meet to finalise the 30-man squad for the Tri-Nations series against the Springboks and All Blacks.

If Tahu is not selected, the next rugby he would play..

Read More

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    He will get his turn. About to watch the Fiji Aus A game now.

Laura Force Addict v Chook scrabble-off on Facebook: laura & Force Addict 0 | chook 9

Gigsa made me do it

"He who conquers others is strong; he who conquers himself is mighty." – Lao Tzu

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Was very quite in that game Chook....no where near as devestataing as the week before.

vCash
    Nah, maybe got (another) injury niggle? Bugger.
    He wasn't keen to chase back on some kicks by the Fijians either.

Ben Lucas looks the goods though. Happy with him. QLDers got a good one there.

Laura Force Addict v Chook scrabble-off on Facebook: laura & Force Addict 0 | chook 9

Gigsa made me do it

"He who conquers others is strong; he who conquers himself is mighty." – Lao Tzu

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by chook View Post
    Nah, maybe got (another) injury niggle? Bugger.
    He wasn't keen to chase back on some kicks by the Fijians either.
    Or maybe the Fijians can actually tackle, didn't see much of that when Tahu was playing well at all.

vCash
    They were up in his face quickly. Turinui got a lot of ball instead. He tackled ok but missed one that I saw. Threw a spaz pass to ruin a try for evil Gerrard after making a good break. Seemed to me that the Fijians spent so much time trying to keep Tahu out of the game they let Turinui do what he liked. Hoiles and McM were top class.

Gigsa made me do it

vCash
    I really don't think Tahu should be selected after only playing a handful of Super14 games. I haven't seen him play but I still don't think that playing for AusA immediately qualifies him to be next on the call-up list for Wallabies. From what I have heard and read he played well, thats fair enough but the competition against Fiji's Pacific Nations team and the Springboks/All Blacks is vastly different.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Mooney
    Everyone has an awareness that if they go well against quality opposition like the Maori it says a lot more than standout displays against other teams.
    Agree with Mooney whole-heartedly hear.

I dare say Tahu's not ready for the role, there is a huge difference between him and a player like Gits who, if necessary, would play at 12. IMHO Quade Cooper is a better option for 12 over Tahu.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Smith
    And as if to prove his point, within minutes of making that statement, Mooney received a phone call from the Wallabies camp alerting him that Hugh McMeniman needed to fly to Brisbane to be on stand-by for the Test bench after Nathan Sharpe strained a groin muscle at training yesterday.
    I think that this is hardly compelling evidence to support Mooney's point. McMeniman is the next best person for the job, there aren't really enough locks, with experience or without injury, who are able to replace Sharpie on the field or on the bench.

Last edited by laura; 04-07-08 at 13:04.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by laura View Post
    McMeniman is the next best person for the job, there aren't really enough locks, with experience or without injury, who are able to replace Sharpie on the field or on the bench.
    yet all the options we do have are far better than Sharpe anyway.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by laura View Post

I dare say Tahu's not ready for the role, there is a huge difference between him and a player like Gits who, if necessary, would play at 12. IMHO Quade Cooper is a better option for 12 over Tahu.
    woah, im a Reds supporter and not even I would prefer to have Cooper in ahead of Tahu.

I would have no dramas if Tahu was to be called up, he has shown that he is finally getting a good grasp on rugby union, and i have no question marks over his ability in big matches.

Right now, tahu is the best non-injured inside back not called up to the wallaby squad.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TOCC View Post
    Right now, tahu is the best non-injured inside back not called up to the wallaby squad.

Wow. An objective view.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    KwooWade Kwooper fills me with dread. Lets not mention his name in conjunction with the Wallabies ever again. Unless he really really really improves. Maybe in 5 years? He is still a youngster too.

Gigsa made me do it

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KenyaQuin View Post
    Wayne Smith | July 04, 2008

AUSTRALIA A coach Phil Mooney believes that for rugby league convert Timana Tahu to realise his potential in the 15-a-side code he needs to be selected in the Wallabies' Tri-Nation squad to be named on Monday.
    Sorry Phil, but I really don't know that the national side, in the toughest rugby competition in the World is the place for an 8 game player to serve his apprenticeship no matter how bloody much potential he has.

Tahu has shown some flashes of brilliance in his first season, but to be real he's not a rugby player just yet. he can run into yawning gaps like he did against Tonga (or was it Samoa, it's all running into one) He's thrown some great short passes, his footwork is good, he can confuse players whoe, let's face it aren't much better than club players, but I think there are also weaknesses to exploit. He's not been the saviour of Aussie rugby this year.....you never know he might be next year, I just think when he comes up against some real quality opposition there's a chance he'll fold quicker than Al Baxter scrumming against England!
    Quote Originally Posted by TOCC View Post
    Jeez prove me wrong, I'd love it, he'd solve the problem of what to do with the 12 jersey immediately, I just don't think Robbie is into taking massive risks on untried players, he won't even dump the front row because he's not sure about the guys who'll replace them.

C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by chook View Post
    KwooWade Kwooper fills me with dread. Lets not mention his name in conjunction with the Wallabies ever again. Unless he really really really improves. Maybe in 5 years? He is still a youngster too.
    in the same breath i dont want Kurtley Beale in the wallabies either

vCash
    Neither do I. At least, not yet.

Gigsa made me do it

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast