Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: TWF 2018 Style

vCash
    Between the Cambridge Analytics bizzo, three personal data breach alerts in the past month and the antics of the clown masquerading as POTUS, I'm over social media big time. BookFace, which I'm buggered if I know how my kids talked me into joining in the first place, has been disabled and I never even thought of starting up twittering. So TWF is it for me. Rant over.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Player
    vCash
    I agree this is the only outlet I look at .
    everywhere is rants fake news trolls- makes this site look a sea of sanity!
    I am sure the site will crank up again once we have a comp to get involved in
    In the meantime everyone here keep up the sensible banter and keep our spirits up

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SPaRTAN View Post
    One problem with the sea of blue page is that it isnt public and all the banter etc doesnt get smeared in the RA's face like this place does.
    TWF isn't really smearing anything in the RA's face; they'd have to come here (and there is some evidence that some do lurk here), but really we're a small internet fan forum with limited reach, rather than a large multimedia news organisation read by opinion formers and decision markers in the game.

(And long may we continue to be like this!)

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheikh View Post
    TWF isn't really smearing anything in the RA's face; they'd have to come here (and there is some evidence that some do lurk here), but really we're a small internet fan forum with limited reach, rather than a large multimedia news organisation read by opinion formers and decision markers in the game.

(And long may we continue to be like this!)
    I would like to think we are a rebellion, a movement, destined to crush Clyne and the Rugby Australia board. I would like to think this place bought down Pulver and that this place started a senate inquiry into the sport. Many nobel warriors have come and gone and some are still here fighting the injustices struck upon us by the fatcats at RA headquarters.

I believe this is a revolution and that we will not stop until justice is served, justice medieval style.

Champion Contributor sandgroperrugby's Avatar
    vCash
    Not even on face book

Generally speaking you aren’t learning much if your lips are moving!!!

vCash
    I know that many of you aren’t on Facebook or indeed any form of social media, and that the numbers who aren’t are growing for the reasons Shasta has stated.

In view of that, I’m interested to know how you guys get your info about all things Western Force. I’ve had a few people say to me that they don’t get to hear much these days, and that has got me thinking.

So, could you let me know how you get your WF news and whether there is another way in which you would prefer to receive news. Say, by regular e-newsletters?

Thanks all

Proudly Western Australian; Proudly supporting Western Australian rugby

Legend Contributor fulvio sammut's Avatar
    vCash
    Competitive sport is, of its very nature combative and tribal.

People interested in competitive sport are combative and tribal.

Whilst at one level we can appreciate the skills displayed in "friendly" non competitive fixtures and go to watch them (as displayed by the crowd figures at the 2018 Force matches), skills alone will not keep up interest or satisfy our blood lust in the absence of meaningful competition and an ultimate goal (grand final bragging rights, heads on poles).

We need to be tribal, we need a clan to belong to and support, and clans of others that we don't, and want to defeat.

We can go to a local competition game between two weaker sides where the standard is poor and the mistakes are many, but because one is our clan's side, if we win or lose by a close margin, we think its a great game, and if we win by a good margin, it was wonderful.

Yet if we go to a non tribal activity, such as a ballet or opera which is poorly performed, we think it sucks. If it is skillfully executed, we think its excellent, but won't return next week.

Twiggyball has been like going to a ballet, if its good, we appreciate it, but the absence of competition doesn't keep us coming back.

Whether we get "our" Force back, and the enthusiasm and true expression of tribalism that came with it, will depend on how successful Twiggy is in providing a "true" competition next year, or whether he perseveres with providing the ballets we have been entertained by this season.

I wish him well. If anyone can do it, he can.

Last edited by fulvio sammut; 18-07-18 at 20:57.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Alison View Post
    I know that many of you aren’t on Facebook or indeed any form of social media, and that the numbers who aren’t are growing for the reasons Shasta has stated.

In view of that, I’m interested to know how you guys get your info about all things Western Force. I’ve had a few people say to me that they don’t get to hear much these days, and that has got me thinking.

So, could you let me know how you get your WF news and whether there is another way in which you would prefer to receive news. Say, by regular e-newsletters?

Thanks all
    Either through TWF or emails sent to members

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fulvio sammut View Post
    ...We need to be tribal, we need a clan to belong to and support, and clans of others that we don't, and want to defeat...
    That's why Roman gladiators were Gauls, Samnites and Thracians (like the World Cup), and then went one better withh Bestiarius, Murillo, Retiarius etc

I loved the bit in Gladiator when the announcer says " I give you....the Barbarian Hoooooorrrrrrde"

https://youtu.be/jU_85TQ1SDw

The long sobs of autumn's violins wound my heart with a monotonous languor

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2