Thread: Million Dollar Waterboy

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Million Dollar Waterboy

Jim Tucker

April 17, 2008 12:00pm

MATT Giteau will turn millionaire waterboy tomorrow night so he can act as a miked-up on-field "coach" to guide the Force backline around Suncorp Stadium.
    Even though concussion has ruled Giteau out of the derby against Queensland, the Wallaby will be on the plane to Brisbane today with the Force playbook in his head.

Giteau's presence is to help comeback flyhalf Lachlan MacKay and exciting backup James O'Connor, the former Nudgee College prodigy picked on the bench for the first time at just 17.

Giteau is following the trend set by ACT Brumbies captain Stirling Mortlock, who was a water runner for the opening six rounds while getting over his shoulder reconstruction.

Mortlock was a valuable on-field voice to settle the "Baby Brumbies" backline while relaying miked messages from the coaches' box or offering his own calls on the run.

"Tactically, Giteau knows everything about the running of the Force backline so he'll be of some strategic value to them, but we'll only start worrying if he throws away the water bottle and starts kicking goals," said Reds backs coach Damon Emtage.

"At the end of the day, it's the players winning or losing games, not the guy running messages."

SANZAR regional tournament director Peter Rowles said there were still guidelines to make sure a water runner did not overstay his welcome on the field.

He said it was up to referee Stuart Dickinson to police water runners such as Giteau so they did not enter the field of play except at the designated breaks for injuries and tries.

"You see water runners trying to stretch the boundaries, so refs are chipping some fellows for hanging around during penalty shots when they should be back on the sideline," Rowles said.

Reds coach Phil Mooney put the acid right on MacKay yesterday when querying just how much the Force loses without Giteau's silky skills.

"The guy coming in at flyhalf is no Matt Giteau. He limits their kicking and the team is more limited in passing," Mooney said.

He did not mention the loss of Giteau's sparkling footwork and pace, which will force in-form backs Drew Mitchell, Cameron Shepherd and Ryan Cross to create far more on their own.

Having Giteau nearby will be especially reassuring for O'Connor, who is just 83kg but with superb footwork, just like his role model.

"I like the way Matt Giteau plays. He's really dynamic and was a big influence on me moving over to Perth," O'Connor said.

"I've really learnt a lot from him, Lachie and the other guys. This is going to be awesome. The nerves will be up there but hopefully I can play well in front of family and friends."

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by travelling_gerry View Post

Giteau is following the trend set by ACT Brumbies captain Stirling Mortlock, who was a water runner for the opening six rounds while getting over his shoulder reconstruction.

Mortlock was a valuable on-field voice to settle the "Baby Brumbies" backline while relaying miked messages from the coaches' box or offering his own calls on the run.
    Henjak started this in the Arc not Mortlock

61 years between Grand Slams Was the wait worth it - Ya betta baby

vCash
    thats ok TQ1 I am trying to work out how he was in 2 places at once yesterday..on the plane and at the ticketek signing that is some serious talent.

Legend Contributor Flamethrower's Avatar
    vCash
    Gitts' new look

Posted via space

Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AlcoholicStalker View Post
    thats ok TQ1 I am trying to work out how he was in 2 places at once yesterday..on the plane and at the ticketek signing that is some serious talent.
    Well, I'm having difficulty figuring out how he's going to be in Canberra signing a deal with the Brumbies with all this high profile in Brisbane.....Grumbles will find a way, maybe he'll catch a taxi at the end of the game!

C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    Well, I'm having difficulty figuring out how he's going to be in Canberra signing a deal with the Brumbies with all this high profile in Brisbane.....Grumbles will find a way, maybe he'll catch a taxi at the end of the game!
    Maybe the Force have made a deal with aliens that want to destroy us for sophisticated teleportation technology? Good one Force now the whole planet is doomed because you facilitated evil aliens who want to destroy us!

Too over the top for Grumbles or just right?

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Thequeerone View Post
    Henjak started this in the Arc not Mortlock
    or as seen here during the pre season game this year in Melbourne against the Crusaders

Henjak the water boy.jpg - InnFORCErs tour to Melbourne Pre-season match (Crusaders v Force) 02.02.08

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    Or perhaps he's just asked the coaches if he can spend some of the bye week with his family, before flying back to resume training. I'd be surprised if he was the only one.

Legend Contributor Flamethrower's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    Or perhaps he's just asked the coaches if he can spend some of the bye week with his family, before flying back to resume training. I'd be surprised if he was the only one.
    Don't be talking that crazy shit.

Where's the conspiracy garbage if people are going to think logically

Posted via space

Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.