Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Wykes, Hayward return to run with the Bulls

vCash

Wykes, Hayward return to run with the Bulls

Sam Wykes and Jayden Hayward will return to the starting line-up when the Western Force tackles the Bulls at the ‘Force Field’ (nib Stadium) on Saturday (26 April).

Wykes has recovered from a rib injury and returns to the starting pack, alongside second-rower Adam Coleman, who was impressive in his starting debut for the Force against the Melbourne Rebels last weekend. Lock Wilhelm Steenkamp will provide coverage from the bench in his first appearance against his former club since joining the Western Force ahead of the 2014 Asteron Life Super Rugby season.

Hayward returns to his customary fullback position with Dane Haylett-Petty, who started in the ‘15’ jersey against the Rebels, moving to the wing.

Prop Kieran Longbottom will become the first Western Australian born-and-raised player to play 50 Asteron Life Super Rugby matches for the Western Force when he takes to the field on Saturday. Longbottom was a member of the inaugural RugbyWA Academy program in 2006 and went on to make his Asteron Life Super Rugby debut against the Chiefs in Perth in 2008. The 28-year-old has started at tighthead in all eight matches for the Western Force in 2014.

Western Force Head Coach Michael Foley says his side is looking forward returning home to the ‘Force Field’ to take on the three-time Asteron Life Super Rugby champions.

“In the last three weeks the boys have tackled one of the toughest sections of the season; three consecutive derbies with travel across the country for each match is a significant challenge,” he said. “While we were disappointed in aspects of our game against the Rebels, the win against the Reds away and our first ever win against the Waratahs at home were great signs of the progress the boys have made.

“This weekend marks the first of four consecutive games against South African opponents who present a different type of challenge to Australian and New Zealand teams. South African sides use their set piece and kicking games as weapons and we will need to perform well in both these areas to achieve success in the next month.

“As the first Perth player to achieve 50 games for the club, Kieran’s milestone is a great reward for his perseverance and determination to constantly chase improvement. I'm certain all the boys are keen to see him rewarded for his commitment to the team.”

The match will see the Western Force chase a club record-equalling fourth straight home win after victories over the Rebels, Chiefs and Waratahs this season. The last time the club achieved the feat was in 2007 with wins over the Hurricanes, Reds, Sharks and Cheetahs.

2014 Asteron Life Super Rugby – Week 11

Western Force v Bulls

The ‘Force Field’ (nib Stadium), Perth

Saturday, 26 April 2014

Kick-off: 5.40pm (AWST)

1. Pek Cowan
    2. Nathan Charles
    3. Kieran Longbottom
    4. Adam Coleman
    5. Sam Wykes
    6. Angus Cottrell
    7. Matt Hodgson (c)
    8. Ben McCalman

9. Ian Prior
    10. Sias Ebersohn
    11. Nick Cummins
    12. Kyle Godwin
    13. Marcel Brache
    14. Dane Haylett-Petty
    15. Jayden Hayward

Reserves
    16. Heath Tessmann
    17. Tetera Faulkner
    18. Ollie Hoskins
    19. Wilhelm Steenkamp
    20. Brynard Stander
    21. Justin Turner
    22. Zack Holmes
    23. Chris Tuatara-Morrison

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Wow! Hayward's back?! Got guts; I would still be an immobile wreck.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Japan and the Pacific Islands for Aussie Super 9's!

Let's have one of these in WA! Click this link: Saitama Super Arena - New Perth Stadium?

vCash
    Grieving is a long process with many stages. Getting back in to a normal routine may be helpful perhaps?

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Oh most definitely, that's why I have such admiration for the guy. I would be completely useless.

Let's have one of these in WA! Click this link: Saitama Super Arena - New Perth Stadium?

vCash
    This Team should beat the Bulls, with some handy reserves if required.

vCash
    True, but I do worry if we have "Argentina Syndrome" whereby we win "upsets" but not the ones we probably should win. I think I took last week's loss to the Rebels in quite a deflating manner, I really thought it would have shown character if they got up and won that. Having said that, I'm probably just being a drama queen.

vCash
    Interesting that Steenkamp is on the bench. Would've thought he should be a definite starter against his old side, and to combat Victor and the rolling maul of the Bulls...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by chiraag View Post
    Interesting that Steenkamp is on the bench. Would've thought he should be a definite starter against his old side, and to combat Victor and the rolling maul of the Bulls...
    My thoughts also but I wonder if they want the unknown out to start with and of course the extra height Coleman brings which may cause a disruption to Victors line outs and then bring on our SA contingent to mop up in the last 20 or so.

May the FORCE be with you!

vCash
    Well done Jaydan in getting back after what must have been a devastating time for you and your wife. I am confident that "The Sea of Blue" will give you huge support to show their respect for you both. Go get them lad.

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    I assumed that Steenkamp was on the bench because Force management thought he might be easily baited into giving away a yellow or red card.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    Foley seems to be reading the site - Paddy drops straight out of the 23. With the current reserves, he may not get another chance here

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

vCash
    Glad to see DHP get another run needs more game time to shine. Hope Ian has resolved his pickup issues at the breakdown we don't need another Genia! And am really keen to see Justin Turner come on after all the praise I've been hearing. Please don't start kicking too much again Sias!

Champion Contributor sandgroperrugby's Avatar
    vCash
    6 west Aussie in the side whoop whoop

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Generally speaking you aren’t learning much if your lips are moving!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sandgroperrugby View Post
    6 west Aussie in the side whoop whoop
    and one Taswegian.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Well done to a gutsy Jayden, you will get nothing but support from your home mob and gratz to KL on his 50th

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast