Thread: Reds snap up promising import

vCash

Reds snap up promising import

Reds snap up promising import

By Bret Harris

September 16, 2008 QUEENSLAND have managed to recruit a foreign player for the Super 14 series without using either of their two import spots.

The Reds have signed Highlanders second-rower Ezra Taylor for two years, but because he was born in Brisbane he is eligible to play in Australia as a local.

The 193cm and 111kg Taylor is expected to compete for a starting spot with the Reds at number eight or blindside flanker.

"He is one of us," Reds coach Phil Mooney said.

"His father played for Brothers in Brisbane and that's when Ezra was born. He went back to New Zealand when he was an infant."

Reds snap up promising import - Rugby - Fox Sports

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Jesus Christ, the Highlanders have a lack of players as it is, can't you go for some other team.

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Sounds like that was exactly the question Taylor asked himself.

vCash
    wernt the force trying to get a highlanders prop at one stage??!

BOKKE
    “Let me put it this way, A Springbok team contains Afrikaners, Englishmen, coloureds and blacks. It has parochial foes in Bulls, Sharks, Stormers, Cheetahs and Lions. It is a recipe for war! Yet in all the years of John Smit’s captaincy, there has never been one unhappy customer, not one voice of rebellion against his leadership. He is the glue that holds the Springboks together. The man is a legend!”- Jake White

vCash
    Taylor inks Super 14 contract with Reds
    AAP - September 16, 2008, 7:40 pm

He might be an impressive 1.94m and 111kg but new Queensland Reds signing Ezra Taylor will find it tough filling the big shoes left for him at the Super 14 rugby club.

Australian-born, New Zealand Super 14 forward Taylor on Tuesday signed a two-year contract with the Reds.

Taylor comes in vying for the No.8 spot made vacant by none other than retired skipper John Roe.

Queensland Rugby Union's Ben Whitaker said Roe's unexpected decision to retire for injury reasons created a vacancy in the Reds' backrow stocks - and Taylor fitted the bill.

"Ezra's had high level experience already but has the potential to go much further," he said.

"He's a big, abrasive backrower who carries the ball well and, because of his past experience playing at lock, also jumps extremely well in the lineout.

"He wants to come to Queensland to develop his game and he's signed today in the full knowledge that he'll be vying for the No.8 spot with our 2008 Rookie of the Year Leroy Houston, which gives us tremendous depth and competition for that position."

The signing has also been Australian basketball's gain.

Taylor's partner - New Zealand's Beijing Olympic basketballer Natalie Purcell - will relocate to Brisbane with him and join new WNBL franchise the Logan Thunder.

Taylor, 25, made his Super 14 debut for the Highlanders in 2007 but missed the 2008 season with a serious knee injury.

He was born in Brisbane but moved to New Zealand with his family when he was three.

"I'd been looking at it (moving to Brisbane) for the last three years," Taylor said today.

"But when I had the knee injury this year I had more time to think about what I wanted to do in my rugby career and decided to make the move."

Taylor inks Super 14 contract with Reds - Yahoo!7 Sport

vCash
    Has young AJ Gilbert moved on?

vCash
    i believe he was released, he never lived up to his potential/embraced the professional aspect of rugby, last time i watched a game of his he looked overweight and slow.

i think he is playing hooker or something now

vCash
    Amazing.

I think Houstons will be the leader of the backrow next year.. McMeninmun will be lock/injured.