Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Rnd 17 Force v Blues - Game thread

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by oxleymoron View Post
    Can still qualify for finals - just need to win remaining games with 4t BP. That is all.
    We need 6 points if games go our way, about 8 if they don't. You always play a blinder after a shit game so I feel pretty confident against the Reds. Reckon we'd give the Brumbies a good run for their money too.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    No denying that the Force were poor last night................but, the Blues pack were loaded with ABs and most of them have just come away from 3 very physical games against the English, and the rest of the Blues had just played in the World Club 10's the week before. So, it probably shouldn't have been a surprise that they were going to be tough to beat.

I just don't think the Force came out and got the start they were looking for. It reminded me of the Brumbies game at the start of the season, and things picked up well after that one..........well, apart from one other slip up against the Tahs the week after, that is..!!

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    We were absolutely monstered at contact and the breakdown. Almost constantly driven back in tackles or held up by going in to the contact too high. Faaaark that was disappointing! I thought our pack looked pretty good on paper but they were completely out-muscled by a very dominant opposition - can't get over how we were hammered at the tackle. Short answer we are not yet ready to handle finals.

Wearing club socks seemed quite appropriate because we played like club players against pros.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Macattack View Post
    Wearing club socks seemed quite appropriate because we played like club players against pros.
    I think most club players will be a little annoyed to be linked to that.

C'mon the

Senior Player
    vCash
    Our defence has won us games this season, but last night it was the Blues that gave us a lesson in clever, aggressive defence. The Auckland boys were really up for this one.

And our attack, which seems to feed off unstructured turnover ball, is toothless in structured play. One out running, a single line of attack, no-one running angles - all so predictable, and as my league mate I saw the game with remarked, easy to defend against.

We were camped in their 22 for the the last 25 mins of the first half, with not a single point to show for it.

Rasolea was caught out of position in defence several times, and Alby and MMM seemed rusty after their break. On a positive note, our set piece was OK.

But to be honest, I had flashbacks of the previous nine years....

vCash
    The Reds looked good against the Rebels.
    Play like last night next week and we won't beat them either.
    I can't bear the thought of that - RG & JH all smug and smiling

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    A few have mentioned it, but the body height in contact was terrible. They were running in so high that the blues were easily able to stop them, and often able to push them back from the gain line time and again.

Although the whole team played poorly, our forwards were particularly underwhelming last night. .

Foley to give them a huge kick up the backside this week, and put the sword to an overconfident reds next week.

vCash
    Did any one else notice that Kaino spent most the night loitering out on the wing so Benny Mc was stationed out there and wasn't taking the ball up as much as usual.
    The sheer size of the Blues compared to our guys is amazing it was looked like the under 17s taking on the seniors. We do need some more bulk.

May the FORCE be with you!

vCash
    Discussed that same today Snob. It seems that a few times this season the Force have been monstered by big teams eg Chiefs Tahs Blues so maybe time Foles has a look for some big weight forwards and also a speedy Back. As Dazlo mentioned Jayden had an opportunity with a run up the field & kicks the bloody thing! Nick would've run flat out! Maybe we're missing Luke but they just got outrun and Rumbled in contact & didn't seem to have the heart to do anything.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Marty_Mcfly View Post
    ...the body height in contact was terrible. They were running in so high that the blues were easily able to stop them, and often able to push them back from the gain line time and again...
    Quote Originally Posted by BeeJay View Post
    ...One out running, a single line of attack, no-one running angles - all so predictable, and as my league mate I saw the game with remarked, easy to defend against...But to be honest, I had flashbacks of the previous nine years...
    Really sums it up for me. I was REALLY surprised that the team was still capable of putting in that sort of performance. I know you can have your odd bad game, but I wasn't expecting THAT; considering the strides they had made this season. I have to say, after having to sit in front of, and listen to, to a bunch of arrogant away bandwagon supporters during that whole debacle, I'm feeling rather deflated after that.

But hey, let's not leave all of this season's efforts in vain, there's a real lesson to be learnt from this game and if any team has shown that they can learn from thier mistakes, it's this year's iteration of the Western Force.

Last edited by chibi; 30-06-14 at 20:17.

Japan and the Pacific Islands for Aussie Super 9's!

Let's have one of these in WA! Click this link: Saitama Super Arena - New Perth Stadium?

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    We should not speak of this game again.
    Should this game ever be required to be spoken of, it will be referred to as "the game of which we do not speaketh".

4 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Oh I'd imagine there will be some speaking about it in the team meeting today

vCash
    It appeared to me that the Team hadn't trained or played together over the 3 week International break. The Blues played in the series in Singapore and seemed better for it, maybe there is a lesson there for Rugby WA.

vCash
    The injury count isn't looking too good either - and I'm sure they all feel guilty at having let Hodgson down who suffered a head knock as well as Adam. I'm confident the Force will bounce back after this shambles but Jeez they make life hard for themselves! We've still got to remember that the Force have achieved way above our expectations of the season, but I was really hoping for just that little bit more. Sigh. Come on guys - regroup, regather reset your focus and get these 2 next big hurdles knocked over. It's still doable!

vCash
    havent read all your comments, but did any one else notice Brache constantly trying to lift spirits? I give that a tip of the hat.

5 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast