Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: So is Andrew Forrest actually propping up the ARU?

vCash

So is Andrew Forrest actually propping up the ARU?

I don't read everything here. I have the concentration of a kitten so keeping up with news and events is no so easy as it should be. But from what I've managed to read, I get the distinct feeling that Andrew Forrest's comp' is actually going to prop up a body I'd like to see fail?

I've got to an emotional point that I really just want to see Australian rugby burn. The ARU needs to be cleaned out and started afresh. Maybe the senate review will cause this, who knows?

The idea of The Force (who I'm now going to start referring to as The Rust) living on in some form or other, is appealing.. But over all, I'd like to see Australian Rugby start from a clean slate. Driven by grass roots feels. Free of corporate meddling. Corporate leagues are always more about the profit that can be made. The playing of the game is just a means to an end. I feel this scenario has been a large part of the current debacle..

Real football leagues are populated by real clubs. Real clubs are groups of voting members and volunteers, operating under a constitution as an incorporated body. Real leagues have a relegation system where if you cant cut it you drop down and give someone else a go. Importantly you always have somewhere to drop down to. Your club does not get killed off. Wiped out. It's asked to play in another competition until it can rebuild and regain it's place in the tier above.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I just do not see how this new start can happen when Mr Forrest is setting up a competition that will basically be corporate in soul.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    cheers auss...
    fabricarti diem punc

vCash
    I'm with you. The ARU must not be allowed to get off scot free and survive fully intact. There must be consequences for what they've been doing this past year (and longer).

5 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Proudly Western Australian; Proudly supporting Western Australian rugby

Champion
    vCash
    They are just a joke! All they had to do was keep the Force and they would have 50 mil for the precious grassroots they began this whole process with! Instead they cut hoping to increase player depth to the rest of the comp instead they have a man setting up a new comp to keep players and a very in demand coach! Seriously their position is untenable! I expect the senate enquiry will bring more resignations. I'm looking forward to hearing about Twiggy's plans!

Senior Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by antiussentiment View Post
    I don't read everything here. I have the concentration of a kitten so keeping up with news and events is no so easy as it should be. But from what I've managed to read, I get the distinct feeling that Andrew Forrest's comp' is actually going to prop up a body I'd like to see fail?

I've got to an emotional point that I really just want to see Australian rugby burn. The ARU needs to be cleaned out and started afresh. Maybe the senate review will cause this, who knows?

The idea of The Force (who I'm now going to start referring to as The Rust) living on in some form or other, is appealing.. But over all, I'd like to see Australian Rugby start from a clean slate. Driven by grass roots feels. Free of corporate meddling. Corporate leagues are always more about the profit that can be made. The playing of the game is just a means to an end. I feel this scenario has been a large part of the current debacle..

Real football leagues are populated by real clubs. Real clubs are groups of voting members and volunteers, operating under a constitution as an incorporated body. Real leagues have a relegation system where if you cant cut it you drop down and give someone else a go. Importantly you always have somewhere to drop down to. Your club does not get killed off. Wiped out. It's asked to play in another competition until it can rebuild and regain it's place in the tier above.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I just do not see how this new start can happen when Mr Forrest is setting up a competition that will basically be corporate in soul.
    Anti I think you'll find that Twiggy has his eye on 2 comps the Indo-pacific comp and helping the Earu to keep and broaden the NRC as a 2nd tier comp like it is now.
    Now when the shit hits the fan in 2020 with the other comp I reckon you'll find that there'll be a few more teams from the other comp wanting in. Particularly the KIWIS who have already started cannibalising the comp anyway. South Africa pulls the pin from the other comp who else can they turn to to play against and besides kiwi rugby needs the revenue as well.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by antiussentiment View Post
    I get the distinct feeling that Andrew Forrest's comp' is actually going to prop up a body I'd like to see fail?
    I've had that uncomfortable feeling too. Since Clyne dismissed the $50 million offer. But OTOH we would have likely been quite happy had they accepted and the Force lived on.

Now that Mr Forrest has plans for them to live on in another format it's not easy to accept that his generosity looks like setting up something that will make the ARU's life a little easier. But we can't have everything exactly as we would like. The game went professional years ago. End of story.

Now some media outlets are reporting that Clyne's asking price was $80 million to back the truck up (which he claimed was impossible at the time). I'm more convinced than ever that the only real impediment to the bailout was that there were provisos that the $50 million was quarantined from propping out the other, still loss-making, franchises. I hope the Senate can get to the bottom of all this.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    It will be interesting to see who twiggy has been talking to in NZ. With their centralised system I wonder whether twiggy has put the cat amongst the pigeons there also by talking directly to a club/team about entry into the comp and not the NZRU.

Apart from the NZRU simultaneously complaining about the standard and making it harder for AUS super rugby teams to compete because they want their cake and to eat it to. Surely the light has gone on there somewhere that the death of super rugby will result in a significant decline in player wages in NZ.

Non sunt multiplicanda entia sine necessitate

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    But we can't have everything exactly as we would like. The game went professional years ago. End of story.
    I'm not against professionalism.. Most Premier grade clubs in Perth pay their players and receive funds from sponsors don't they?

I believe professionalism and proper club culture can live side by side given the correct framework.. Money helping the game is great.. Money ruling it is not..

There has been way too much of the latter..

4 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    cheers auss...
    fabricarti diem punc

vCash
    I would have liked to see his involvement subject to Clyne's dis-involvment

6 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    The truth may set you free, but only evidence convicts

vCash
    Not a cent of IPC should go to FUBARU

The board should be sacked, ARU wound up and replaced with a truly national representative body

None of these will happen

5 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    The long sobs of autumn's violins wound my heart with a monotonous languor

vCash
    I guess Rob Clarke could be brought in to advise

The truth may set you free, but only evidence convicts

Senior Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lou View Post
    I guess Rob Clarke could be brought in to advise
    Lou if you keep mentioning the grubs name around here you'll be canned!

vCash
    Further to those reports about an $80 million asking price; you really have to wonder at how the ARU could have squandered it's broadcast money so badly. $80 million for a private citizen to bail them out? The total broadcast deal until 2020 works out at $55 mill per year - Force got about $4.7 mill a year, IIRC. Just how much has been poured into the Eastern Money Pit? How much have the ARU themselves squandered in their operating budget? No wonder Alan Jones lifts off off like the Space Shuttle every time the subject comes up. It's bloody staggering.

4 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sittingbison View Post
    Not a cent of IPC should go to FUBARU

The board should be sacked, ARU wound up and replaced with a truly national representative body

None of these will happen
    I am with Bison here No money should be given to any SR club as they shafted us.. As all the rebels will do is buy all the force players as he is talking about the comp not starting till after SR.. or is he going to buy the force players and use them to promote the IPRC and have games in perth with invitation teams while SR is on ??? If he does not then the players need a home and an income

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lou View Post
    I would have liked to see his involvement subject to Clyne's dis-involvment
    Who knows, maybe that was one of the conditions in the $50m offer and maybe the prime reason it was rejected?
    He seems to need Clyne's approval to do anything so maybe do a deal with the devil until he can be ousted?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Legend Contributor blueandblack's Avatar
    vCash
    http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/un...13-gygdqk.html

"Andrew 'Twiggy' Forrest launches Indo Pacific Rugby competition"

Interesting bit here:

""There's been a fair bit of water under the bridge with Cameron and I," Forrest said. "We had a frank and friendly discussion when he was here recently. We were cast as adversaries. We did not agree with the cancelling of this magnificent team (Western Force). In that adversarial form, we did have to go a little toe to toe. But now with the Western Force becoming an international team ... there should be nothing but collaboration on behalf of Australian rugby." "

I guess we got our IP (or name at least) back.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "12 Years a Supporter" starring the #SeaOfBlue

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast