Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Australia v Ireland

vCash
    Always disappointed with a loss Tonkar. Why are you happy?
    Rex I never happy to loose.. and find that the teams are choosen on what colour your supper club is...I just find things with the ARU a joke and have reservations re the Management of the Game of rugby in Australia at the moment... I really thought Pulver and the board were heading in the right direction but after events of the past 18 months I am not sure. Cheika is a good coach but he needs to look outside the square and enlist players on merit not by club...

We are loosing to many quality players to overseas.. Bringing in players from other codes at a high price before looking after the cold face to me is ridiculous.. I am also very anti the way teams other than the reds and warratahs are treated theres no equality in the code... I am a force supporter from day 1 and really enjoy my rugby...

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by Tonkar; 23-11-14 at 18:31.

vCash
    Ireland was impressive and rarely lost their defensive form and discipline.
    Our larger ball carriers were usually tackled by 2-3 players.
    Although it was a good effort to come back from 17 points down in the first half the Wallabies never looked threatening.
    In the 2nd half we looked like a rudderless ship in a running tide.
    Our lineout did better than I expected (91% on own throw; Ireland only 69% on own throw).
    Our scrummaging was terrible and I reckon we were outdone at the breakdown.
    We were terrible under the high ball.
    Foley kept kicking the ball straight to Sexton (??????)
    Wallabies avoided nearly half of the rucks in defence.

Ruck data as follows:

+ Hooper (80 mins) made 39 rucks, 28 early (72%) and 25 with impact (64%).
    (6 runs for 23m, 14 tackles/0 missed, 1 penalties)
    + Carter (71 mins) made 36 rucks, 31 early (86%) and 33 with impact (92%).
    (3 runs for 2m, 10 tackles/3 missed)
    + Kepu (70 mins) made 34 rucks, 21 early (76%) and 19 with impact (56%).
    (5 runs for 2m, 11 tackles/2 missed, 1 penalty)
    + Slipper (75 mins) made 33 rucks, 25 early (78%), and 23 with impact (56%).
    (5 runs for 4m, 8 tackles/1 missed, 3 penalties)
    + Fainga’a (70 mins) made 29 rucks, 23 early (79%) and 24 with impact (83%).
    (3 runs for 3m, 10 tackles/1 missed)
    + Simmons (80 mins) made 24 rucks, 19 early (79%) and 19 with impact (79%).
    (7 runs for 8m, 7 tackles/1 missed)
    + McCalman (80 mins) made 23 rucks, 17 early (74%) and 20 with impact (87%).
    (12 runs for 33m, 9 tackles/1 missed)
    + Jones (53 mins) made 19 rucks, 14 early (74%) and 14 with impact (74%).
    (5 runs for 2m, 10 tackles, 3 penalties)

Off the bench
    + Schatz (27 mins) made 12 rucks, 10 early (83%) and 7 with impact (58%).
    (1 runs for 2m, 3 tackles/1 missed)
    + Hanson (10 mins) made 4 rucks, 4 early (100%) and 3 with impact (75%).
    (1 run for 0m, 0 tackles)
    + Robinson (5 mins) made 4 rucks, 4 early (100%) and 4 with impact (100%).
    (1 runs for 0m, 0 tackles)
    + Skelton (9 mins) made 4 rucks, 4 early (100%) and 1 with impact (25%).
    (5 runs for 4m, 1 tackles)
    + Faulkner (10 mins) made 3 rucks, 1 early (33%) and 1 with impact (33%).
    (3 runs for 12m, 1 tackle/1 missed)

Significant ruck contributions by Backs as follows:
    Toomua – 17, AAC – 15, Speight – 14, Kuridrani – 8, Foley – 8.

Comments:
    + Early engagement = 1st or 2nd to ruck.
    + Impact = active engagement, strong physical contact, changed shape of ruck, clean-out, etc.
    (more than hand on someone's bum or playing statues.)
    +Impact doesn't mean that the player was "menacing" at the ruck.
    +Rucks stats gathered while watching replays of the game. Other stats from ESPN Scrum.

Attachment 3567

Further comments/observations re the ruck involvement:
    1. Hooper was busy but ineffective (in a Beau Robinson sort of way).
    2. Carter wasn't far behind Hooper in ruck involvements but was a lot more effective.
    3. Jones, Skelton and Schatz lie around the rucks (like garden slugs) just waiting to be penalised.
    4. We missed Fianga'a when he was replaced. Hanson continues to offer little.
    5. Kepu doesn't do cleanouts - he either plays statues or just leans against anybody who is close. But he's great at scrums.
    6. Slipper is showing that it's been a long season....very low impact at rucks. I reckon that he has been fantastic this year and should have received the John Eales.
    7. Simmons was better than usual.
    8. Whatever, the problems are neither Jones nor Schatz provide solutions. Jones seems like a very slow learner and like Schatz just looks lost at this level (Schatz - 3 tackles in 27 minutes!!??).
    9. I continue to marvel at the way Ben McCalman just keeps on keeping on. Strong contribution but obviously carrying injury/injuries. Suggest groin as lost his leg drive. Runs at about 85%. His ruck involvement wasn't up to his normal standard. 40 minutes of rest this week.
    10. It must be a continual frustration for Hodgson that he misses out on Test caps when clearly his credentials and impact are so much better than others.

11. Hooper actively avoided Defensive rucks. Only 5 of his 39 rucks were when Ireland was in possession.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by andrewg; 24-11-14 at 00:09.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SNOB View Post
    Well the Golden Shower are winning me money! !

You're making money out of Golden Showers?!? What the hell do you do in your spare time, SNOB?

Second thoughts we are probably better off not knowing!

Veteran
    vCash
    All I'm Going to say is:

Beale

vCash
    Well Beale did absolutely nothing to justify the ARU completely selling out.

The backline were OK, but they still avoided running the angle back in.

The offload game that they sparked up after getting smashed by the Irish in the first 20 minutes was the right answer, and they finally stuck with a good idea (first time in about 5 years) so that's a positive.

Hooper was better, but looked rusty when he approached a ruck. I assume he's playing to instruction, that doesn't help him to be the 7 we want.

The replacements that were bought failed spectacularly. Jones was a bit of a disaster, pleased that something was tried, but he wasn't up to it. He should have played against the BaaBaas to learn that lesson. Schatz doesn't even seem to have taken the field and Beale was willing but pretty useless.

Things that need fixing
    Ditch Schatz, Jones and Skelton they don't bring enough to the table. Skelton was OK in the loose, and didn't let us down with workrate, but how the hell can 130 kilos of lock sudden;y turn the entire scrum to shit? We need Hodgo, since he's the only pilferer who has been really effective this year, sure some others have picked up a few turnovers, but for consistency it has to be Hodgo. Start Hooper, with the same brief that he had this weekend and bring Hodgo on at the critical time to seal the deal (take off whichever backrower is being least effective)
    There's no easy andswer to the shortage of locks, but Horwill and (ugh) Simmons have been the best so far without buying another plane ticket. the bench? maybe Jones as cover which enables a replacement to 6 as well if needed. Hanson wasn't up to it......nobody can expect that from our number 7 hooker can they? Props....there isn't an answer. Tets wouldn't get a gig if we were any good in the front row, but he's the best of the replacements we've got over there. Slipper and Kepu are OK with Tets and probably Robinson (again because a plane ticket will cause as many problems as it solves)
    so That sorts the forwards, and the backs? we need Foley (but keep him away from the high ball) and Toomua's defense is enough to get him the gig. Phipps is fay and away the best Scrumhalf over there, Genia should deputise. If Kurindrani isn't fit, then AAC will be the 13. The back three should include Speight (his powerful running will be needed even more if Kurindrani is down) Folau and somebody else to cover the bomb. Maybe Horne? he has become quite a good player once he moved to the wing.

With the 5 forwards named that leaves 3 bench spots for backs, one taken by Genia. Probably Cooper (wasn't a complete disaster and works well with Genia) and an outside back (maybe Tomane)

Leaving Cheika's assertion that everybody will get a game on tour to be either a lie or a mistake. Kyle WON'T beat either Foley or Cooper for a spot and Toomua will be desperately required against the poms.

is there anybody else over there for sightseeing and tackle practice?

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex Messup View Post
    .. It was actually one of the best matches I've seen outside of a Bledisloe test. The winner was rugby.
    What a game of rugby despite the disappointing ending.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SinBin View Post
    It sure was that. One of the most watchable of the year. People decrying the Wallabies are maybe not giving Ireland due credit. Especially for stopping the Wallaby momentum after half time. Their performances this year have been top drawer as evidenced by their IRB ranking. For all that they almost had it stolen at the finish.

5 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Veteran
    vCash
    http://m.smh.com.au/rugby-union/unio...23-11s2r1.html

For the tin foil hat people...

I got to this lime and stopped reading...
    "After a marginally forward pass". He was way out of position, and stopped the ball going to someone in the correct position due to the shot line he ran.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewg View Post
    Ireland was impressive and rarely lost their defensive form and discipline.
    Our larger ball carriers were usually tackled by 2-3 players.
    Although it was a good effort to come back from 17 points down in the first half the Wallabies never looked threatening.
    In the 2nd half we looked like a rudderless ship in a running tide.
    Our lineout did better than I expected (91% on own throw; Ireland only 69% on own throw).
    Our scrummaging was terrible and I reckon we were outdone at the breakdown.
    We were terrible under the high ball.
    Foley kept kicking the ball straight to Sexton (??????)
    Wallabies avoided nearly half of the rucks in defence.

Ruck data as follows:

+ Hooper (80 mins) made 39 rucks, 28 early (72%) and 25 with impact (64%).
    (6 runs for 23m, 14 tackles/0 missed, 1 penalties)
    + Carter (71 mins) made 36 rucks, 31 early (86%) and 33 with impact (92%).
    (3 runs for 2m, 10 tackles/3 missed)
    + Kepu (70 mins) made 34 rucks, 21 early (76%) and 19 with impact (56%).
    (5 runs for 2m, 11 tackles/2 missed, 1 penalty)
    + Slipper (75 mins) made 33 rucks, 25 early (78%), and 23 with impact (56%).
    (5 runs for 4m, 8 tackles/1 missed, 3 penalties)
    + Fainga’a (70 mins) made 29 rucks, 23 early (79%) and 24 with impact (83%).
    (3 runs for 3m, 10 tackles/1 missed)
    + Simmons (80 mins) made 24 rucks, 19 early (79%) and 19 with impact (79%).
    (7 runs for 8m, 7 tackles/1 missed)
    + McCalman (80 mins) made 23 rucks, 17 early (74%) and 20 with impact (87%).
    (12 runs for 33m, 9 tackles/1 missed)
    + Jones (53 mins) made 19 rucks, 14 early (74%) and 14 with impact (74%).
    (5 runs for 2m, 10 tackles, 3 penalties)

Off the bench
    + Schatz (27 mins) made 12 rucks, 10 early (83%) and 7 with impact (58%).
    (1 runs for 2m, 3 tackles/1 missed)
    + Hanson (10 mins) made 4 rucks, 4 early (100%) and 3 with impact (75%).
    (1 run for 0m, 0 tackles)
    + Robinson (5 mins) made 4 rucks, 4 early (100%) and 4 with impact (100%).
    (1 runs for 0m, 0 tackles)
    + Skelton (9 mins) made 4 rucks, 4 early (100%) and 1 with impact (25%).
    (5 runs for 4m, 1 tackles)
    + Faulkner (10 mins) made 3 rucks, 1 early (33%) and 1 with impact (33%).
    (3 runs for 12m, 1 tackle/1 missed)

Significant ruck contributions by Backs as follows:
    Toomua – 17, AAC – 15, Speight – 14, Kuridrani – 8, Foley – 8.

Comments:
    + Early engagement = 1st or 2nd to ruck.
    + Impact = active engagement, strong physical contact, changed shape of ruck, clean-out, etc.
    (more than hand on someone's bum or playing statues.)
    +Impact doesn't mean that the player was "menacing" at the ruck.
    +Rucks stats gathered while watching replays of the game. Other stats from ESPN Scrum.

Attachment 3567

Further comments/observations re the ruck involvement:
    1. Hooper was busy but ineffective (in a Beau Robinson sort of way).
    2. Carter wasn't far behind Hooper in ruck involvements but was a lot more effective.
    3. Jones, Skelton and Schatz lie around the rucks (like garden slugs) just waiting to be penalised.
    4. We missed Fianga'a when he was replaced. Hanson continues to offer little.
    5. Kepu doesn't do cleanouts - he either plays statues or just leans against anybody who is close. But he's great at scrums.
    6. Slipper is showing that it's been a long season....very low impact at rucks. I reckon that he has been fantastic this year and should have received the John Eales.
    7. Simmons was better than usual.
    8. Whatever, the problems are neither Jones nor Schatz provide solutions. Jones seems like a very slow learner and like Schatz just looks lost at this level (Schatz - 3 tackles in 27 minutes!!??).
    9. I continue to marvel at the way Ben McCalman just keeps on keeping on. Strong contribution but obviously carrying injury/injuries. Suggest groin as lost his leg drive. Runs at about 85%. His ruck involvement wasn't up to his normal standard. 40 minutes of rest this week.
    10. It must be a continual frustration for Hodgson that he misses out on Test caps when clearly his credentials and impact are so much better than others.

11. Hooper actively avoided Defensive rucks. Only 5 of his 39 rucks were when Ireland was in possession.
    Great work again Andy. For mine Schatz was pretty much invisible and yes Jones looked confused in addition to getting caught up in the choke tackle! (as if they hadn't been warned about it! FFS!) I cannot for the life of my work out why Hodgo is continually left out, how blatantly obvious is it getting. Hooper throws himself around a lot but as you show achieves little, maybe its just to impress everyone. Benny was a trojan - hope he doesn't end up being run into the ground. Beale - christ what a waste of space literally, just got in everyone's way.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SinBin View Post
    InmyVERYhumbleopinion.... For what it's worth The Wales v The All blacks was a much better entertaining game! Lost in last 10 mins! I just couldn't go to bed!

Veteran
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by valzc View Post
    Great work again Andy. For mine Schatz was pretty much invisible and yes Jones looked confused in addition to getting caught up in the choke tackle! (as if they hadn't been warned about it! FFS!) I cannot for the life of my work out why Hodgo is continually left out, how blatantly obvious is it getting. Hooper throws himself around a lot but as you show achieves little, maybe its just to impress everyone. Benny was a trojan - hope he doesn't end up being run into the ground. Beale - christ what a waste of space literally, just got in everyone's way.
    This is the first match I begrudgingly accepted hooper into the team. He covered so many tackles, that without him, they would be further over the gainline... Bugger - he attacks and defends like a demon. Keep the 6 as a fetcher, I'm happy with his role in the team now. I have made my peace with it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by palitu View Post
    http://m.smh.com.au/rugby-union/unio...23-11s2r1.html

For the tin foil hat people...

I got to this lime and stopped reading...
    "After a marginally forward pass". He was way out of position, and stopped the ball going to someone in the correct position due to the shot line he ran.
    OH MY GOD! Why did you send me to that article?

He almost scored with his first touch?????? He was a metre offside for a 2 metre pass for god's sake.

as for the text being (quote) a silly thing to do (unquote).......I just renewed my workplace harassment stuff for work, it completely fills the requirements for criminal harassment.

C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by hertryk View Post
    InmyVERYhumbleopinion.... For what it's worth The Wales v The All blacks was a much better entertaining game! Lost in last 10 mins! I just couldn't go to bed!
    Will have to take your word for it Hertryk as I don't have Sentanta. The game received good press.

Interestingly, from what I've read, our last 20 mins compared to the ABs last 20 spoke volumes. Their subs improved the team's performance and they went up a gear, ours had a negative impact..

vCash
    Mary mother of Jesus, get over it GIGS.

Controversy corner

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by palitu View Post
    This is the first match I begrudgingly accepted hooper into the team. He covered so many tackles, that without him, they would be further over the gainline... Bugger - he attacks and defends like a demon. Keep the 6 as a fetcher, I'm happy with his role in the team now. I have made my peace with it.
    Welcome to the club palitu. He could do a little better with the pilfers but he brings a lot on game day

Controversy corner

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast