Page 2 of 36 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Alan Jones thread

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Enjoy a bit of schadenfreude and all, but don't ever fall into the trap of thinking Jones is a friend. His solution wouldn't just see rugby in WA without a professional team, he would be sure to get rid of the NRC too. What he ultimately wants is two SR teams, supported by the SS, nothing more.

He is not alone either; the supposed letters he quotes reek of it. He opened with "...a recent Sydney club game between Easts and Parramatta...The crowd was incredibly disappointing....Give a free family ticket and post it to every school kid in Orange...It would barely be a $500 exercise...It would only need Castle and co. to donate 1 per cent of their wage to pay the bill."
    Talk about entitlement. It is the Shute Shield, but rather than the NSWRU it is the responsibility of RA to be taking a day to day interest in the marketing strategy for every match? And because they don't, everyone will sit on their hands for the sake of $500 and instead just moan about things. F***'n princesses, every one of them owed a living. Worse, they then take those attitudes into commentating the sport and agitating for the same useless bastards to be running the sport. It is hard to comprehend, but they would actually be worse than the utter shower there now. And don't kid yourself, the reason they are suddenly agitating for the end of SR is they actually would get hold of the reins.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Yeah, I agree Andy, While I like the fact that he won't let up about the stupidity of axing the Force, it's only a blade in his scabbard when fighting the war of restoring Shute Shield to it's rightful place at the pinnacle of Australian Rugby.

C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FingerTips View Post
    The highlighted sentence is the correct answer, of course.

The "RA/Cameron Clyne" model for Rugby in Australia has a solution to the problems at Gordon - cull them and redistribute their players among the remaining Shute Shield clubs.

Simples.
    Assuming of COurse that Sydney Uni get first pick and everybody else can suck on the dry bones

C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    Yeah, I agree Andy, While I like the fact that he won't let up about the stupidity of axing the Force, it's only a blade in his scabbard when fighting the war of restoring Shute Shield to it's rightful place at the pinnacle of Australian Rugby.
    I just dont get why they keep going on about the shute shield. It would be an absolute disgrace if it become the tier below test rugby. We do not need the shute shield to become great again, the shute shield is just a local state comp, nothing more, nothing less, its New South Wales equivalent of the Pindan cup, and thats all it should ever be.

What we need is a proper 2nd tier NATIONAL comp, whether these be franchises/ clubs, who cares, it just needs to be national so our feeder comps (Shute shield and Pindan Premiership) can provide pro players to service the national clubs/franchises in a proper national comp.

He is deluded if he thinks the answer to the National problem is the shute shield, the shute shield is just a problem for NSW and for them to develop pro players, I dont want anything to do with it, and I'll never watch it whilst I live in WA because I support our local comps.

The shute shield is merely the equivalent of WAFL or SANFL and it should forever remain that way!

This is the problem with the East coast trying to fix this problem, all they ever come up with is eastcoast centric ideas, they completely fail to recognise Australia is Australia and NSW is just a small little corner in an enormous country that really doesn't have much relevance to the rest of us.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SPaRTAN View Post
    I just dont get why they keep going on about the shute shield. It would be an absolute disgrace if it become the tier below test rugby. We do not need the shute shield to become great again, the shute shield is just a local state comp, nothing more, nothing less, its New South Wales equivalent of the Pindan cup, and thats all it should ever be.

What we need is a proper 2nd tier NATIONAL comp, whether these be franchises/ clubs, who cares, it just needs to be national so our feeder comps (Shute shield and Pindan Premiership) can provide pro players to service the national clubs/franchises in a proper national comp.

He is deluded if he thinks the answer to the National problem is the shute shield, the shute shield is just a problem for NSW and for them to develop pro players, I dont want anything to do with it, and I'll never watch it whilst I live in WA because I support our local comps.

The shute shield is merely the equivalent of WAFL or SANFL and it should forever remain that way!

This is the problem with the East coast trying to fix this problem, all they ever come up with is eastcoast centric ideas, they completely fail to recognise Australia is Australia and NSW is just a small little corner in an enormous country that really doesn't have much relevance to the rest of us.
    You see, that's why you'll never become CEO of RA!

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    Give it time. Jones will probably be dead by the time that unlikely scenario occurs. Let him smash the RA in his articles and on his show. He is one of the few that has the courage to do it.

'I may be a Senator but I am not stupid'

https://omny.fm/shows/the-alan-jones-breakfast-show/cameron-clyne

Link to Senate Report http://www.aph.gov.au/senate_ca

https://www.change.org/p/rugby-australia-petition-for-cameron-clyne-to-resign-as-chairman-of-the-rugby-australia-board

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bakkies View Post
    Give it time. Jones will probably be dead by the time that unlikely scenario occurs. Let him smash the RA in his articles and on his show. He is one of the few that has the courage to do it.
    Oh, yeah, totally OK with that part. I just don't want him to be effective enough to actually get his way.

C'mon the

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bakkies View Post
    You think? Say they managed to pull down RA as it stands, with everyone's help and good wishes. That would effectively spell the end of the FoSU control over the board, so who then has the voting power to assume control? It'll be largely SRU and NSWRU that will take over, so you could easily see people like Papworth and Davis in control. What is their vision for Australian Rugby?

It could happen very quickly indeed...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyS View Post
    You think? Say they managed to pull down RA as it stands, with everyone's help and good wishes. That would effectively spell the end of the FoSU control over the board, so who then has the voting power to assume control? It'll be largely SRU and NSWRU that will take over, so you could easily see people like Papworth and Davis in control. What is their vision for Australian Rugby?

It could happen very quickly indeed...
    We need to find out the consequences of not following the Government's recommendations from the Senate Inquiry. The RA have already lied about one which was related to the IP. That has been followed up on.

vCash
    Went soft on Raelene this week. Instead Super Rugby and Eddie Jones are in his radar

Super Rugby no longer able to prepare Test players
    Wallabies coach Michael Cheika will be desperate to get his team firing against Ireland. Picture: AAP
    Wallabies coach Michael Cheika will be desperate to get his team firing against Ireland. Picture: AAP
    The Australian12:00AM June 8, 2018
    Save
    Share on Facebook
    Share on Twitter
    Share on email
    Share more...
    ALAN JONES
    Radio broadcaster

Australia versus Ireland tomorrow night from 8pm at Suncorp Stadium in Brisbane.

The great Irish forward, Donal Lenihan, who captained Ireland and amassed 52 international caps, recently made a very good point when he said: “To be honest with you, a lot of people don’t place huge stock on what’s happening in Super Rugby anymore … there was a time when we’d all look down in awe at the quality of the rugby, but now there’s a feeling that it doesn’t prepare people for Test rugby.”

Well, this was before he would have seen the debacle last Saturday night between Queensland and NSW, or the Reds and the Waratahs as they are called.

This was essentially a game of touch football with no defence! How can a clash between our two Super Rugby heavyweight teams end in a scoreline of 52-41? And this in a week before the Wallabies play their first Test.

The Irish players would have been watching the footage and smiling. Jonathan Sexton, the on-field mastermind of the Irish back line, will already be plotting ways to rip into Nathan Grey’s defensive patterns. Grey is the Wallabies’ defence coach.

The feature of Ireland’s attacking play under coach Joe Schmidt is their ability to launch a “sucker” play and bamboozle the defence. Ireland did this brazenly to secure their Grand Slam victory at Twickenham last St Patrick’s Day.

They ran a short lineout play that featured their tight head Tadhg Furlong delivering the killer-pass to their Kiwi-born centre, Bundee Aki. The play was typical of Ireland’s ability to dream up strike plays and execute them with precision.

Grey will have his hands full in this series, particularly if he keeps shuffling our backs around like chess pieces in defence.

I’m sure Bernard Foley and Kurtley Beale will be pleading with Grey to let them defend in their own spots in the midfield. But we have further challenges.

For some time now, it’s been pretty obvious that Stephen Moore and Tatafu Polota-Nau would both be bowing out of Test rugby before the next World Cup. They have given outstanding and quality service. But it certainly seems odd that one or two young guns were not being groomed to take over from these good old boys, if they don’t mind me using that expression.

The best way to do that would have been to give the new boys the last 20 minutes at the end of each Test from about 2016 until now. That way, we would have grown a Test match hooker to ensure we were settled for the 2019 World Cup. That has not happened.

We now find ourselves scratching around trying to polish up a couple of rookie hookers in Brandon Paenga-Amosa and Folau Fainga’a.

I don’t know what Andrew Ready and Tolu Latu have done to be on the outer. I’ll most probably give Andrew Ready the kiss of death, but in my view he should have been there some time ago.

But make no mistake, our young hookers will be under incredible pressure against Ireland. Ireland have a very good lineout in attack and defence and they have the ability to scrum for penalties.

Our rookie hookers will feel the heat throwing into the lineout and at scrum time, as they strike for the ball. And if they don’t hold up, the Test series could be gone there and then. That is pressure. This could have been avoided.

I have to say I don’t agree with the argy-bargy that’s gone on about this fellow, Pete Samu. He’s now available for the Wallabies.

Michael Cheika is lucky to get him, because Samu was developed in New Zealand. It was the Crusaders who gave him the chance, when he’d been no more than a fringe player at the Waratahs.

The same can be said for Michael Alaalatoa, who couldn’t get a run in Australia. He, too, turned up at the Crusaders in 2016, the same time as Samu, and both players owe much of their rugby development to the Crusaders and New Zealand Rugby.

Now we want them back. Funny system.

From day one I have been a great supporter of Cheika. He ticked all the boxes to become coach of Australia. But he was cleaned out by England in the most recent three-Test series and now Ireland will be looking to inflict the same pain.

Like England were in 2016, Ireland are the best team in Europe and they have a very settled team. They’ve won 12 Test matches straight and they’ll be looking to make it 15 before they depart our shores at the end of June.

Cheika will be the first to concede that he’s had a bit of a dream run as Australian coach. Australian rugby is in such disarray, there’s been no real focus on the performance of the national coach. He and his coaching team now have their backs against the wall.

They have to attempt to cobble together a team that can grind out wins over an extremely professional and thoroughly prepared Ireland.

Make no mistake about it, Ireland are the real deal. They tour well and the Wallabies will have to perform at their capacity to compete with the Grand Slam champions. And if Michael Cheika wants to preserve his hard-fought reputation, and it’s a good one, he’ll need results here. The game in this country needs some good news. I’m hopeful the coach has it in him to deliver that news.

Meanwhile, in South Africa, a different story is being played out with the man most-responsible for the problems we now face on the playing front in Australian rugby, Eddie Jones. It was Eddie Jones who began this absurd spectator-killer approach towards rugby called pick-and-drive.

As I have previously written, we have no chance of getting back to the top of world rugby if we persist with this pick-and-drive nonsense, but that’s for another day.

This was the man, remember, who was in charge of the Queensland side in 2007 when they were thumped 92-3 by the Bulls in South Africa.

Well, Eddie is now coach of England and is back in South Africa for a three-Test series. And he too has a Test match tomorrow against the Springboks.

His side are coming off a 60-point thrashing by the Barbarians.

The jungle drums are beating in South Africa and Eddie Jones is under the pump.

Now, admittedly, the Springboks have their own issues with a new coach and all sorts of stupid quota systems, but they’ll smell blood in the water and they’ll be looking to tear into the England side in this series.

Yet I read with some amazement recently that Rugby Australia was considering replacing Michael Cheika with Eddie Jones. Someone is kidding.

What has happened is that when Jones took over England, he kept on saying he could improve the team by 30 per cent across the board. His methods of doing so created carnage, with players falling like flies at every England camp.

The club owners pay the players, so when Eddie breaks the player, it’s the clubs who suffer. He can just pick another player from another club to replace the one he’s “busted”.

It’s a running joke with the club coaches in England. Eddie is trying to squeeze 30 per cent more from England players and he’s breaking 30 per cent of the players along the way. This is what led to the Queensland crashing in 2007 against the Bulls, when the Reds took the wooden spoon.

Back then, he was looking to improve the Reds by 25 per cent across the board and he smashed up the squad with suicide training methods.

He lost the change room; he lost the support of the rugby public in Queensland; he was only one year into a three-year deal when he was forced to stand down in 2007.

And now Eddie Jones is taking another smashed-up outfit, this time England, to South Africa. Meanwhile, Bruce Craig, the billionaire owner of Bath, has been labelled by Eddie as the Donald Trump of rugby, as he escalates his feud with the owner of this prestigious club.

Bruce Craig ignited the hostilities last week by criticising Jones’s methods after 15 players, including five from his club, had sustained training injuries in the England camp.

The discord continued upon England’s arrival in Durban last Sunday for the three-Test series, when Jones responded to Craig’s view that recent remarks Jones had made were “cynical and inappropriate”.

Eddie Jones responded: “Bruce Craig sounds like the Donald Trump of rugby — he has the same hairstyle … everything we do is about training to get better. It’s not about satisfying some bloke who’s got plenty of money in Bath and thinks he knows everything about rugby. I find it a bit tedious.”

Well, this is interesting for Eddie, because England rugby supporters and his players are starting to find things more than a bit tedious.

This may be Queensland 2007 revisited. Wherever we turn, tomorrow is a fairly big day in world rugby for the coaches as well as the players, to say nothing of the poor long-suffering spectators and supporters.

Alan Jones is a former Wallabies coach and is host of the Alan Jones Breakfast Show on 2GB and the Macquarie radio network and is host of Jones & Co on Sky News at 8pm on Tuesdays

https://www.change.org/p/rugby-australia-petition-for-cameron-clyne-to-resign-as-chairman-of-the-rugby-australia-board

vCash
    Raelene's week of grace has ended and Jones went after de Clyne

Wallabies were splendid, but Cheika has his hands tied

Michael Cheika.
    Michael Cheika.

The Australian
    12:00AM June 15, 2018

SaveT

AShare on Facebook

BShare on Twitter

CShare on email

DShare more...

K58Comments

Alan Jones

Radio broadcaster

Rugby supporters, along with Michael Cheika, breathed a sigh of relief last Saturday evening after what was, by any reckoning, quite a splendid performance by the Wallabies against Ireland.

In the aftermath of some awful Super Rugby performances, Cheika’s Wallabies warmed the hearts of many.

The Wallabies’ defence was very good and Bernard Foley and Kurtley Beale did the job effectively in the midfield, when Ireland were in our half.

As for Beale, he is one of the most gifted players ever to play international rugby.

Add to that Israel Folau, who was brilliant in the air.

read more

Sexton recalled by IrishWayne Smith

Mood turns grey over ‘cancer’ slurWayne Smith

There was a refreshing willingness to play with width and move the ball away from the pick and drive rubbish on the ground.

I’ve said many times you can’t win Test matches against very good sides playing the ball on the ground. Simple as that!

Cheika will be aware, though, that it would be foolish to get carried away. Our lineout was poor and there is definitely a problem at hooker and changes will have to be made for tomorrow’s Test.

If Ireland start with their best team — and they rested several last Saturday — tomorrow will be much more difficult.

The big plus for the Wallabies was the man they call Tongan Thor, Taniela Tupou, who has worked hard on his scrum and now looks like a world-class tighthead. David Pocock received many wraps. They were justified.

However, the lineout suffers without a jumper at six. And Pocock jumping at two in the lineout is not the answer.

This poses a big problem for Cheika, because on the one hand Pocock turns the ball over and Michael Hooper doesn’t.

So does one of them go because if the Wallabies are forced to play lots of short lineouts as they have only two jumpers, the backline won’t get the required room to attack from set play, yet it’s a backline that should be let loose at every turn.

There were some ominous warnings in the Irish press this week.

Andy Farrell, their defence coach and a former rugby league great, has warned of a “lively” encounter tomorrow.

After Ireland trained at St Kevin’s in the suburbs of Melbourne, Farrell said: “We’ll see what we’re made of ... I mean, this is what top-level rugby is all about. We’ll see what the good old-fashioned Irish ticker is about, won’t we? Because it’s the game that matters for us to stay alive.”

He added: “Sometimes it isn’t complicated ... sometimes it’s just a little bit of attitude and a bit of fight.”

Beware.

Unfortunately, we have more to worry about off the paddock.

Staggeringly to me, Rugby Australia has given Hooper a five-year contract at $1 million a year, if reports are to be believed.

Some would say he may not be the best No 7 in the country. Five years is a long time.

What happens if the next coach prefers a different captain and a different style of play at No 7?

Enter Raelene Castle. She was part of creating the mess of back-ended contracts at the Canterbury rugby league club. Has she made the same mistake here?

A three-year contract for a player is the longest any should have and a one-year contract for a coach. Every coach should expect his performance to be reviewed at the end of 12 months.

But if you are signing a particular player in a particular position to a five-year deal, you’re effectively telling all other Australian rugby players in that position that the incumbent has the spot for good.

This is hardly the message the young rugby players want to hear.

And after Folau’s brilliant performance on Saturday, where are his contract negotiations? He most probably can name his price, if rugby wants to keep him.

But hopefully Castle doesn’t stitch us all up for another five years, because even the mercurial Folau might be off the boil in 2023.

Talking about signing players and apropos of comments I’ve made before, I coached a couple of young blokes in the Barbarians side last year, the gifted Andrew Kellaway and the massive big man with real ability, Taqele Naiyaravoro.

They’re off to Northampton. They are international quality players.

Thanks to the demise of the Western Force, they’re having to go abroad to realise their dreams of playing top-flight rugby.

And the equally brilliant young Dave Horwitz is off to Connacht.

Well done, Cameron Clyne and co. This is how we plan for the future, I don’t think.

I’ve said before that these are young players going elsewhere to realise their dreams.

Talking of dreams, there is plenty of dreaming in Australian Rugby’s 2017 annual report.

In it, Clyne fails to apologise to the West Australian rugby public for cutting the Force. In which case, how can Rugby Australia maintain its name? It should be called Rugby Australia minus Western Australia.

Clyne has announced a $3.8 million surplus for 2017. Well, if he’s got $3.8m spare, Andrew Forrest would certainly have $3.8m and Rugby Australia would have the money to run the Force.

How does this stack up against Clyne’s argument that rugby could not afford the Force?

Clyne’s other argument was that the talent from shutting down the Force would be distributed among other Super Rugby franchises and that would produce better results.

Those arguments have proven as shallow as most of the other offerings from the board of Rugby Australia.

But the big laugh in the Report came when Clyne started rating the performance of Rugby Australia, which is presumably his administration.

The report card said 75/100 – which must mean Rugby Australia has achieved 75 per cent success.

He’d be the only person on the planet to think Australian Rugby enjoyed a successful 2017.

The Wallabies won 50 per cent of their games. The Australian under-20s came sixth at the under-20s World Cup.

The Australian men’s sevens team came sixth at the World Rugby Sevens. The Western Force were wound up. The Super Rugby TV ratings were appalling.

But Clyne marked his report card under the following wishy-washy headings.

“A — Making Rugby a Game For All”.

How do you measure that and then score yourself 92 per cent successful? He’s kidding.

“B — Igniting Australia’s Passion for the Game”

How do you measure this stuff?

For the record, he scored himself 68 per cent. I don’t know what happened to the other 32 per cent, who obviously aren’t passionate.

“C — Building Sustainable Success in Australian Rugby”.

He scored himself 72 per cent successful. So the Wallabies win 50 per cent of their Test matches and our Super Rugby teams fail to beat New Zealand at all in 2017 and he gives himself a rating of 72 per cent.

The bloke is living in Dreamworld.

“D — Creating Excellence in How the Game is Run”. Well, more waffle. But he scored himself 68 per cent successful.

It’s hard to believe this bloke could sign off on this marketing spin. It’s nothing short of embarrassing.

But then, I guess, he knows that there are only two kinds of people in relation to the annual report: those who chuck it in the bin and those who try to read it and then hoist it in the bin.

The report also indicated that the High-Performance National Teams’ Program enjoyed an uplift in investment of $2.3m on the previous year.

This is the so-called High-Performance Unit.

The big initiative in 2017 was the recruitment of Rod Kafer. How much of the $2.3m was spent on Kafer?

His role has been to coach the coaches and ensure we’re producing winning national teams.

But Kafer was a failure as a coach and under his watch all four of our Super Rugby franchises are now coached by rookie coaches.

For the record, at the end of 2017, the Wallabies were ranked fourth in the world, the men’s sevens were ranked sixth in the world and the under-20s were ranked sixth.

Thank heavens for the women’s sevens – they were ranked two.

If this is high-performance, how can those working in the unit keep their jobs?

I’ve said before, Cheika is working on the national side with his hands tied behind his back by an appalling administration and a certain knowledge that our clout in world rugby is dramatically diminished.

To paraphrase Donald Trump, it’s surely long overdue that we cleaned out the rugby swamp.

Alan Jones is a former coach of the Wallabies and hosts The Alan Jones Breakfast Show on 2GB. He will write rugby columns for The Australian throughout the season.

Champion
    vCash
    Good to see the recent two wins against NZ and one win for Wallabies hasn't softened his stance..

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jules View Post
    Good to see the recent two wins against NZ and one win for Wallabies hasn't softened his stance..
    The trouble with Alan jones is that while he's anti-RA, he is very much pro-Shute Shield, and thinking that they should be the level below Super Rugby. It's a case of: "The enemy of my enemy isn't necessarily my friend".

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

vCash
    Its another good article. Although I couldnt bare reading about the Wallabies. I gritted my teeth in absolute disgust and it is only just dawning on me how much I actually despise the RA and the Wallaby brand. I am at a point that I simply cannot watch them except for praying they lose.

Cheika just does not present well as a coach, he is an embarrassment, and Clyne is just the most disgusting creature to walk this earth, he epitomises evil. I just simply cannot believe he has managed to survive this long with the code in tatters - all caused by him.

I think Alan Jones does need a reality check when it comes to the shute shield. And I would respect him if he owned up and admitted the model to maintain the shute shield as the premier development comp to feed the professional teams was flawed. What Australia really needs is the NRC or something like it that captures the Western/ Southern and Northern parts of Australia and gives those regions an opportunity to display their local talent from their state feeder comps aka. The Pindan Comp in Perth, it would be much easier to develop a new comp than try and extend the shute shield into these regions. If Sydney has such a hard on for their shute shield teams then I suggest they enter their top 4 teams each year into an NRC type comp, this will mean the shute shield would be a NSW comp that feeds the NRC with its teams. Either that or they just use the WA model that works by using the pindan comp aka. shute shield to feed 4 representative NSW teams.

Anyway other than his shute shield delusions he writes a good piece on rugby in Australia and the absolute mess it finds itself in. Doesnt help that this destruction is lead by Clyne and none of the union members will hold him accountable by voting him out. Its a disgusting orgy of greedy men in it for their own personal gain, the opposite of what Rugby stands for!

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Except they are all out of the same source. RA is only the product of NSWRU and the QRU, and still lives at home with mum. More than anything else, the Shute Shield and it's delusions led to RA and the state of rugby in Australia. They are anything but separate, as much as they might now wish to distance themselves from the problem.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Page 2 of 36 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast