Thread: England names Cup squad

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

England names Cup squad

England names Cup squad

13/08/2007 9:45:41 PM
    PA Sport

England boss Brian Ashton has named his 30-man World Cup squad - with Mike Tindall and Charlie Hodgson the big-name casualties.

Both players miss out on England's Webb Ellis Trophy defence in France next month, while Nick Abendanon, Danny Cipriani, Toby Flood, Kevin Yates, Tom Palmer and James Haskell have also failed to make it.

Gloucester centre Tindall, a 2003 World Cup winner, has been battling to recover from a broken leg suffered last April, while Sale Sharks fly-half Hodgson last played almost nine months ago due to a serious knee injury.

Ashton's group is largely as expected, with Perpignan prop Perry Freshwater shading Yates for a front-row berth in a squad that will be captained by Wasps tighthead Phil Vickery.

Centre Mike Catt, 36 next month, will equal Jason Leonard's England record of featuring in four World Cup tournaments, while 35-year-old Wasps back-row star Lawrence Dallaglio has also been selected.

There are 12 survivors from England's original 2003 World Cup squad, plus Wasps lock Simon Shaw, who travelled to Australia four years ago as a replacement but did not play.

Ashton put the finishing touches to his squad on Sunday following England's 21-15 tournament warm-up defeat against France at Twickenham.
    There was joy for ex-Great Britain rugby league captain Andy Farrell, who has been named after making just four Test appearances.

Farrell has been widely criticised for his lack of pace in the union game, yet he offers considerable leadership qualities and the mental toughness Ashton has looked for in arriving at his final 30.

The same can be said for 79 times-capped Dallaglio, whose presence in the squad and influence on it will prove considerable.

The survivors from 2003 are Dallaglio, Vickery, Catt, Jason Robinson, Josh Lewsey, Jonny Wilkinson, Andy Gomarsall, Mark Regan, Martin Corry, Ben Kay, Lewis Moody and Joe Worsley.

Ashton said: "I have had to make some very difficult decisions in reducing the World Cup training squad to 30."

England squad for the 2007 Rugby World Cup

Forwards:

A Sheridan (Sale Sharks), P Freshwater (Perpignan), P Vickery (Wasps, capt), M Stevens (Bath), M Regan (Bath), G Chuter (Leicester), L Mears (Bath), S Shaw (Wasps), S Borthwick (Bath), B Kay (Leicester), M Corry (Leicester), L Moody (Leicester), J Worsley (Wasps), T Rees (Wasps), N Easter (Harlequins), L Dallaglio (Wasps).

Backs:

M Cueto (Sale Sharks), P Sackey (Wasps), J Lewsey (Wasps), J Robinson (unattached), M Tait (Newcastle), D Hipkiss (Leicester), J Noon (Newcastle), M Catt (London Irish), A Farrell (Saracens), O Barkley (Bath), J Wilkinson (Newcastle), S Perry (Bristol), A Gomarsall (Harlequins), P Richards (London Irish).

Club of Origin:

Club/(Forward/Back)/Total

Wasps (5+2) 7
    Bath (4+1) 5
    Leicester (4+1) 5
    Newcastle (0+3) 3
    Harlequins (1+1) 2
    London Irish (0+2) 2
    Sale Sharks (1+1) 2
    Bristol (0+1) 1
    Saracens (0+1) 1
    Perpignan (1+0) 1
    Unattached (0+1) 1

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    England 30 Man Squad for Rugby World Cup 2007

August 13th 2007 c/o RU

England Head Coach Brian Ashton announced today England's 30 man squad for the RWC 2007.

A further eight players were informed by Brian Ashton yesterday that they have not made the final cut of 30 players. The players are:

Pissed off Party:

Nick Abendanon Bath Rugby
    Danny Cipriani London Wasps
    Toby Flood Newcastle Falcons
    James Haskell London Wasps
    Charlie Hodgson Sale Sharks
    Tom Palmer London Wasps
    Mike Tindall Gloucester Rugby
    Kevin Yates Saracens

Brian Ashton said today: "I've had to make some very difficult decisions in reducing the RWC training squad to 30. I'd like to thank all 47 members of the original squad who all put in a tremendous amount of effort into their work with us and their attitude throughout has been first class.

"I spoke to each of the players who would not be involved in the final 30 yesterday and they were all obviously very disappointed not be included but I stressed to each of them that they could be invited back if a member of the squad suffers an injury either before or during the RWC.

"Mike Tindall has worked very hard to recover from his injury and he was running last week but it was agreed by the coaches that he and Charlie Hodgson, who is fit but like Mike has not played top level rugby for a number of months, could not use the final warm up test or the RWC pool games as part of their rehab. Both of them have done everything that has been asked of them and I wish them both well with their return to their clubs and the other players who have not made the final 30.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Bringing in ll the old farts??? Do they wont to lose or what

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Dads Army??

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    Has Wilkinson actually played a full game without injury since the last World Cup?

vCash
    Club rugby, i think ?? Or we can just get the samoans and togans to knock the living crap out of him