Thread: Deans backs Cheika to succeed with Wallabies

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash

Deans backs Cheika to succeed with Wallabies

LIAM NAPIER
    Last updated 14:28 21/10/2014

Robbie Deans made a timely appearance in Auckland today and, of course, discussion centred on the shambolic state of Australian rugby.

Speaking at a press conference to promote his book, Robbie Deans, Red, Black & Gold, Deans had no hesitation in expressing empathy for former Wallabies coach Ewen McKenzie, who officially resigned after Australia's heartbreaking one-point loss to the All Blacks in Brisbane on Saturday, and endorsed Michael Cheika to assume the potentially poisoned chalice.

"When the worm turns, so to speak, it's challenging," Deans said of the similar plight McKenzie confronted.

"If sentiment turns it depends who drives the agenda and what their end in mind is. Having been over there and experienced the environment it's a tough, tenuous environment. It's not good for the game to see them struggle. Hopefully they'll respond constructively. It's very important to New Zealand rugby that Australia is competitive and strong."

Deans downplayed the much-hyped player power issues festering in Australia rugby but elaborated on the political influences he also faced from board members.

"They've changed the constitution and have the opportunity to create fully independent governance but they haven't take those steps yet," he said.

"There's still blokes who are actively involved in the game that have vested interests and allegiances and it's getting in the way, no doubt."

Cheika is said to have accepted a three-year deal to replace McKenzie. Deans backed the successful Waratahs coach to control the at-times disruptive personalities - the likes of Kurtley Beale and James O'Connor - and turnaround the Wallabies in time for next year's World Cup.

He also felt Cheika, a self-made man, would not let detractors get to him.

"He knows the context intimately. He's come out of the heart of it; out of Randwick. That was where he was a good appointment for the Waratahs. His personality doesn't get involved in the off field stuff. He drives the group to the things that are important and doesn't get distracted by the politics. That will be an asset. He might have to adapt some of his off-field antics...

"Cheika is very much an ambush merchant. His flame burns hot so he will get a lift out of the group. That's the nature of World Cup rugby; it's a one-off event. If they come through their pool [which also contains England, Wales and Fiji] effectively they're very well positioned.

"They've got the talent to win the next World Cup. That was evident in their last outing. They've won two World Cups and could be the first nation to win three."

Cheika is said to be keen on linking with Brumbies coach Stephen Larkham to oversee the backs and Michael Foley to work with the forwards. Unlike his turbulent tenure, where assistants were forced on him, Deans hopes Cheika gets to choose his support staff.

"That's going to be fascinating because they've gone from a situation where in many ways my hands were tied behind my back to where they gave carte blanche to Ewen. Where they go now will be interesting. Cheika is a bloke who will want the full range and the predicament suggests he'll probably get them.

"When you can't make all your own decisions you're not living spontaneously. It's like having an anchor you've got to pull."

Despite the latest troubles surrounding Beale, who will learn his fate at a misconduct hearing relating to lewd texts about former Wallabies business manager Di Patston this week, Deans believes the utility still had plenty to offer the code.

"I did a lot with Kurtley. He's a great kid. He's done some daft things, there's no doubt about that. He's vulnerable to the company that he keeps. That's the key. It would be a great shame to see him lost to the game. He's got a point of difference. He's a bloke people turn up to watch but clearly there's a bit of water to go under the bridge and I'm not privy to those details."

Currently serving a three-year contract with Panasonic in Japan, Deans reiterated his desire to hold the "ultimate coaching gig" - that of the All Blacks - one day. Super Rugby held less appeal, though.

After securing five titles in nine years at the helm of the Crusaders, it would be impossible to replicate such run. He also said it would be more difficult to coach the Blues against the Crusaders than the Wallabies against the All Blacks.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/i...with-Wallabies

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    1. Deans wants to sell books so comment on the dismal culture of the ARU is a free hit. The same comments have now made their way to Fairfax and Fox sites.

2. NZ's like to have a poke and get on their high horse in all things Rugby, so obviously the troubles at the ARU and Wallaby camp are a subject that they know little of but write and comment a great deal about.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    I agree on both points; but I will say that if there is going to be a New Zealander who does know something about the ins-and-outs of the ARU, it would be Robbie Deans. I think he has the longest tenure of any Wallabies coach (?)

Unless of course you were talking about the stuff.co.nz writer. I avoid that site like the plague.

Japan and the Pacific Islands for Aussie Super 9's!

Let's have one of these in WA! Click this link: Saitama Super Arena - New Perth Stadium?

vCash
    Given how long Deans worked for the ARU he is probably entitled to a free hit.

vCash
    Yeah Deans gets a free hit and fair enough. No criticism of him. Was more drawing attention to the fact that Deans writes a book about his life in rugby and the debate is 'centered' on the current shambolic state of affairs at the ARU, occurring after Deans tenure at the Wallabies has ended, whilst he still is aching for the 'ultimate', a shot at the NZ team coaching role.

Entirely predictable copy coming from NZ.

Player
    vCash
    I reckon he knows more than you

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by chibi View Post
    ............ the stuff.co.nz writer. I avoid that site like the plague.
    Do they have a chat forum? Rex wants to go fishing for kiwi marlin

Controversy corner

vCash
    Robbie Deans was hailed as the great white hope....the one the kiwis had let slip away.....NZ went into hysteria when he won his first up match against the Allblacks....we were excited about the less structured "play what's in front of you mentality....and the "be patient" and build phases and don't kick it away.....which eroded into McCabe trucking it up with the pill tucked under his arm and getting hammered behind the advantage line and turned over (or as The Irish worked out, just hold him up and we'll get the scrum)

Robbie got shunted after he masterminded the most embarrasing Australian performances in a decade against the Lions. His tenure was over because we dead set had nothing.

Link got the raw prawn and got smashed in his first RC. Then things started to look the goods after a good European tour and belting the French 3-0. The RC was not what we hoped for but the last game gave us the vision of what was to come from this group..........and we liked it.

Then he had a blue moment when he was more concerned about his members end and threw his toys out of the cot.

The upshot is we have a coach who isn't going to take any sh1t. We now have a coach who will hire and fire based on performance and he will play an attacking brand of very physical rugby with "the Australian identity"

I'm loving this.

The wallabies aren't on anybodies radar but if they can win their pool, they will have an achievable run to the final at 2015 RWC.

The runner up of Pool A will likely get RSA in the quarters and NZ in the semis and England in the final.........a tough month if they were to proceed. Not an enviable pathway.

Robbe has an opinion and he was as close to the inside as anbody gets. I thought his comments were gracious and thoughtful. There was no intent to disrupt or offend. He could have been much nastier.

4 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Controversy corner

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex Messup View Post
    Do they have a chat forum? Rex wants to go fishing for kiwi marlin
    Just pick any article, cast your bait into the comments sections and you'll catch a bite, no worries.

Japan and the Pacific Islands for Aussie Super 9's!

Let's have one of these in WA! Click this link: Saitama Super Arena - New Perth Stadium?

vCash
    Choice bro

Controversy corner

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Fish well and remember, you're not obliged to return feral species back into the waterways.

I also though Deans was very thoughtful and restrained. I don't know how much was going on behind the scenes, but I always felt that there came a point where he gave up on the skill levels of the Australian players and the lack of intent to address it by improving the domestic structures (something he identified and specifically commented when he first started). That lack of confidence or whatever, he just seemed to buy into the RG philosophy of field position/defense in lieu of any real backline play. Tries dried up, they started losing games by not shutting the opposition out, dissatisfaction increased and eventually he had to go. The reason I think it was RG was because exactly the same thing happened here and we are still suffering the effects. Going to be watching the Reds next year with real interest.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyS View Post
    Going to be watching the Reds next year with real interest.
    what's the bet they name a former 'Director of Rugby' to some sort of role?

C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    what's the bet they name a former 'Director of Rugby' to some sort of role?
    I reckon Link will likely take a break. But I'd bet Qld will be very desperate to get him back in a mentoring capacity with a view to sacking the coach and asking McKenzie to take over.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    I reckon Link will likely take a break. But I'd bet Qld will be very desperate to get him back in a mentoring capacity with a view to sacking the coach and asking McKenzie to take over.
    That was the way I was thinking....that way Jim Carmichael can dig himself out of the shit without admitting that he made the biggest mistake since Noah invented the water soluble waterbag

C'mon the