Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: NIB this Sunday

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    It's actually the opposite of that. The laws were simple. They have complicated things with all sorts of ridiculous "interpretations" in search of perfection.

Of course that does not fit your theory that this is done because people who play and follow RL are inherently too dumb to understand the laws.
    Every time I watch mungoball, the Ref is constantly telling me what rules have been obeyed and broken, That's not much different from union but the refs seem to be a lot more talkative.

They've sanitised the ruck, the scrum etc, they have clear rules defining when a strip is allowed and when it isn't , the Ref calls held, after which an offload isn't allowed. It looks a lot cleaner to the untrained (my) eye. When I used to watch it, there was a lot more "mess" with striking allowed at the play the ball, the possibility of a tighthead when a team decided to contest the scrum and the defending hoker knew how to actually hook for the ball (Benny Elias anyone?) I mean I'm not an avid mungo watcher, but I find it a f@%k of a lot more interesting than the Rat's Arse version of Rubgy.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    C'mon the

vCash
    There were two sin bins. Five minutes and ten minutes.

Defensive line was also back 5 metres. Players with a Rugby background were gold in the halves due to their kicking game and being used to the defensive line be closer to their line of attack.

'I may be a Senator but I am not stupid'

https://omny.fm/shows/the-alan-jones-breakfast-show/cameron-clyne

Link to Senate Report http://www.aph.gov.au/senate_ca

https://www.change.org/p/rugby-australia-petition-for-cameron-clyne-to-resign-as-chairman-of-the-rugby-australia-board

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post

They've sanitised the ruck, the scrum etc, they have clear rules defining when a strip is allowed and when it isn't , the Ref calls held, after which an offload isn't allowed.
    Scrums and ruck laws were reinterpreted because there were too many inconsistent decisions.

The stripping rule was introduced because it was deemed "against the spirit" for two or more players to hold someone up and strip the ball. Guess what too many inconsistent decisions are now a problem. One is a loose carry the next is a penalty.

The Fifita "no try" was 100% correct. There would be no argument if the interpretation was never introduced.

My view: don't f@ck around with the laws. Let the (1) referee make the decisions and move on. No 55 replays and endless re-hadhing in the media. Happens every week in UK Superleague.

Immaterial anyway. They won't go back now.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    The Fifita "no try" was 100% correct. There would be no argument if the interpretation was never introduced.

My view: don't f@ck around with the laws. Let the (1) referee make the decisions and move on. No 55 replays and endless re-hadhing in the media. Happens every week in UK Superleague.

Immaterial anyway. They won't go back now.
    When I saw it I thought Knock on no try, but then commentators whinged about it being a 1 on 1 strip. If a strip is allowed the line would be too fine to judge with most tackles and I'd suggest anything knocked out by the hand of the defender should count as play on. At least that makes it clear.

Once you start to put too much interpretation into the game it buggers it up, regardless of what the players do once the tackle is effected.

C'mon the

vCash
    Spot on.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Public holiday in Tonga today for the rugby league team.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by beige View Post
    Public holiday in Tonga today for the rugby league team.
    Telecrap is reporting that the PI nations may have found their "Twiggy". Maybe planning to us those stadia built by slave labour post Football WC? If nothing else, it will be interesting to see who lines up for Qatar. Maybe Robbie Farrah and his Leb mates can qualify under a similar regulation to Japan's "Craig Wing" rule.

SHEIK’S $60 BILLION NRL GAMECHANGER

Australian businessman Michael Ibrahim (left) with Qatar's Sheikh Faisal Bin Qassim Al Thani.

THE NRL is bracing for a major shake-up after a public declaration that a $60 billion Sheik from Qatar is lining up a move to buy an NRL club.

The Daily Telegraph reports Sheik Faisal Bin Qassim Al Thani has identified rugby league as a future growth opportunity in his investment portfolio and believes the game has potential to grow outside of Australia, New Zealand and the United Kingdom.

Dr Khalid Mohammad, a spokesman to the Sheik, has said Sheik Faisal Bin Qassim Al Thani has already invested in international rugby league by backing Pacific nations, including Tonga, Samoa and Fiji.

The Sheik’s family is behind the push to establish a rugby league tournament in Qatar featuring Fiji, Tonga, Smoa and the host nation.

However, the interest in rugby league extends well beyond Pacific nations.

The Telegraph reports the investment consortium is also serious about the prospect of buying a n NRL club.

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...8abc2deab6b07d

vCash
    Is this the same Qatari who tried to buy Stade Francais and was rejected by the current owner?

https://www.change.org/p/rugby-australia-petition-for-cameron-clyne-to-resign-as-chairman-of-the-rugby-australia-board

vCash
    The Tongan rugby team trying to do something similar now - it's a little more complicated in rugby union...

Having seemingly taken inspiration from their rugby league cousins, the Tongan rugby union team are looking to acquire the services of a couple of former All Blacks for the 2019 Rugby World Cup.

As reported in the New Zealand Herald, Charles Piutau has confirmed he is keen to represent the country of their heritage, after playing 17 tests for the All Blacks earlier in his career.

Former All Black wing Frank Halai is also being targeted as a possible recruit.

According to Tongan coach and former Wallaby Toutai Kefu:

“I’ve spoken to him [Piutau] a few times and his brother as well – he’s very determined to play for Tonga so we’re very happy about that,” he said, referring Charles’ brother and former Chiefs centre Siale.

Piutau is currently at Ulster and has signed to play at Bristol next season, where he’ll enjoy the status of being the world’s highest paid player – ironically one that cannot play test rugby, given the current All Black eligibility rules that prevent anyone playing offshore from selection.

However, that can change due to loophole in World Rugby’s eligibility rules. The Piutau brothers and Halai could make a switch to the red jersey of Tonga by being selected for the Tongan Sevens side in Olympic qualifying tournaments, or the 2018/19 World Series.

This has already been used by Tim Nanai-Williams, a former All Black Sevens rep, to switch allegiance to Manu Samoa.

Read more: https://www.rugbypass.com/news/tonga...ghts-world-cup

vCash
    I really think the IRB should consider doing the same thing for RWC (maybe not 2019, but the next one)

It has really livened up the RLWC seeing some of the superstars* of the game playing for the country of their birth.

*OK, I don't really know who is a superstar and who isn't, but in a game which is completely dominated by 2 or 3 teams, the field was significantly leveled out.

THey could go with something along the lines of You can represent any country that you qualify by birth or heritage, but you can only qualify by residency in the first year of International Representation. Once you have played for any team, you can return to that team as you wish.

I think that would support the Minnow nations pretty well without making it a free for all for the tier 1 nations to spend up big on overseas talent (at least not any more than they usually do) It would also slow down shit like Radike Samo getting one game at the peak age to keep him out of playing for Fiji. They could still pick him for that game, but the next season, once he's been thrown on the scrapheap, he could be picked for his country of birth.

I think it solves a lot of issues.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    C'mon the

vCash
    Not so keen on this myself. In the dark old days Frank Bunce and Va'aiga Tuigamala played for the ABs after they were capped by Samoa. The Wallabies fielded Topo Rodriguez and Pato Noriega after they were capped by Argentina who weren't a tier one union then.

You have got blokes like Isa Nacewa who turn down call ups to the Fijian squad despite being capped by them.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bakkies View Post
    Not so keen on this myself. In the dark old days Frank Bunce and Va'aiga Tuigamala played for the ABs after they were capped by Samoa. The Wallabies fielded Topo Rodriguez and Pato Noriega after they were capped by Argentina who weren't a tier one union then.

You have got blokes like Isa Nacewa who turn down call ups to the Fijian squad despite being capped by them.
    You forgot Tiaan Straus. But anyway, I don't recall too many others especially from PI. They have been pilliaged for years. Three nations with a combined population of barely a million and you can hardly find a pro team anywhere without their players. At least the IRB should make dispensation for them. Miserable gits.

vCash
    I like the RL system as it favours smaller nations over the bigger.

Japan and the Pacific Islands for Aussie Super 9's!

Let's have one of these in WA! Click this link: Saitama Super Arena - New Perth Stadium?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by chibi View Post
    I like the RL system as it favours smaller nations over the bigger.
    Yeah, the problem is that Rugby is far to parochial and isolationist to implement something for the greater good alone. You'll need to sell it to the powerful nations who only ever want to look after themselves first.

It appears that attitude infects rugby at all levels, International, National State and CLub (At least that's the way it looks from outside the community forums)

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    C'mon the

vCash
    I don't agree with players getting selected, turning it down then representing another nation in the space of a few weeks.

Rugby is tied to the IOC so having looser eligibility laws then the Olympics won't wash.

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast