Thread: FORCE BUILDS QUALITY COACHING PANEL FOR 2014

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash

FORCE BUILDS QUALITY COACHING PANEL FOR 2014

EMIRATES WESTERN FORCE MEDIA RELEASE
    Wednesday, 21 August 2013

The Emirates Western Force has appointed David Wessels (Senior Assistant Coach) and Kevin Foote (Backs Coach) to a first-class coaching panel for the next two years.

Wessels, a former Defence Consultant to the Force, Stormers and Brumbies, and Foote, a Varsity Cup-winning head coach in South Africa, will assist Head Coach, Michael Foley, in managing the development of the squad for the 2014 and 2015 Super Rugby seasons.

The South African pair was on staff with the Force as Defensive Consultants in 2013, with the former University of Cape Town coaching duo taking up full-time roles with the Western Australian team from next season.

Foley says Foote and Wessels bring with them a wealth of rugby knowledge and experience to assist with the further development of the Emirates Western Force squad.

“We’re focused on developing our players and we’re bringing together coaches that are dedicated to achieving that,” he said.

“Team culture, game style and personal development are areas that all our coaches need to understand and embrace to ensure players expectations of themselves and each other constantly grow.

“Both Kevin and Dave earned respect among the squad as a result of their knowledge of the game and their ability to effectively and energetically communicate their thoughts with all squad members.”

David Wessels, who will oversee the Force’s defence, has previously held the role of Defence Consultant with the Emirates Western Force, Stormers and Brumbies.

His time with the Brumbies in 2012 saw them concede the fewest points in the Australian conference and the second least overall, while the Force’s defence took significant steps forward in 2013, conceding 15 fewer tries than in the previous Super Rugby season.

Wessels held the role of Assistant Coach for Ikeys (University of Cape Town) in South Africa’s Varsity Cup alongside Foote for three seasons, during a time that saw them qualify for the play-offs in 2009, finish runners-up in 2010 before defeating Tuks (University of Pretoria) in the 2011 final.

Wessels says he’s keen to build on what was achieved during the 2013 Super Rugby season.

“It’s exciting to be part of a team on the rise and I’m looking forward to continuing what we started as a coaching group with the Force this season,” he said.

“There were a number of new processes and structures introduced to the team and while they responded very well to these, I’m really looking forward to be able to develop those further this season.

“Foles [Foley] has put a world-class program in place in Perth; there is a strong emphasis on player development and this will hold the club in excellent stead moving forward.”

Kevin Foote, a former Western Province Under 21, Natal Wildebeest (Vodacom Cup) and Springbok Sevens representative, began his coaching career as Assistant Coach at Ikeys in 2009, taking over the role from former Springbok centre Robbie Fleck.

He was promoted to the head coaching role in 2011 and guided Ikeys to their first Varsity Cup title, defeating Tuks 26-16 in the final.

Foote, who coached Emirates Western Force new recruit Marcel Brache in that Varsity Cup-winning side, says he’s excited to continue being a part of the development of the squad.

“We made considerable headway in a number of areas this season and it’s exciting to have the opportunity to be part of developing the team further over the next two years,” Foote said.

“The team formed a solid foundation this year based on setting itself high standards and we now have a strong base from which to build upon.

“Foles [Foley] has been very targeted in his recruitment for this season and the incoming players will add further quality to what is already a very capable playing squad next season.”

The pair will join the team from South Africa ahead of the start of the 2014 pre-season.

Profiles
    Name: David Wessels
    Role: Senior Assistant Coach
    Previous Coaching Roles: 2013 Defence Consultant – Emirates Western Force; 2012 Defence Consultant – Brumbies; 2009-2011 Assistant Coach – University of Cape Town; 2008-2009 Defence Consultant – Stormers.

Name: Kevin Foote
    Role: Backs Coach
    Previous Coaching Roles: 2013 Defence Consultant – Emirates Western Force; 2011-2013 Head Coach – University of Cape Town (Ikeys); 2008-2010 Assistant Coach – University of Cape Town (Ikeys)

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    Very good news! :-))

Proudly Western Australian; Proudly supporting Western Australian rugby

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    I guess the next coach they need to appoint will be teaching them Afrikaans

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

Senior Player
    vCash
    Good news about the coaching set up for next season Security at NIB checking people for tickets and passports

vCash
    It kind of concerns me that we lost an attack-minded coach like Meehan and gained a Saffer (you know how they're known for their expansive, attacking rugby...).

Last edited by Nipper; 22-08-13 at 00:16. Reason: asked for info posted elsewhere

Senior Player
    vCash
    We need more skill and strategy to execute a good South African style rolling maul, and, harder still, to defend against one. All Australian sides, esp the Wallabies, desperately need to add these strings to their bow.

vCash
    Couldn't agree more. A great weapon and hard to defend against. SA have really developed it into an attacking weapon from which they will often score points.
    If we can defend against it great and maybe use it against some Au & Nz teams, you never know, could end up with some results.

May the FORCE be with you!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Nipper View Post
    It kind of concerns me that we lost an attack-minded coach like Meehan and gained a Saffer (you know how they're known for their expansive, attacking rugby...).
    Neither are we

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Last night the Wallabies forwards were pushing against the Springboks, which was effective at first, but the Boks quickly got things together and made ground or won penalties.

Sharpie's style seemed to work better- pull the guy who receives the ball toward the try line. You lose a bit of territory, but you aren't pushing against anyone, and what we are doing at the moment isn't working at all. Gotta get the timing right though.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Blood Wessels?

Chuck Norris has the greatest Poker-Face of all time. He won the 1983 World Series of Poker, despite holding only a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno.

Senior Player
    vCash
    In other news, Steve Meehan has been appointed attack coach at the Reds. I thought it was a shame to see him go from the Force but I guess it didn't work out.

The Reds now have Stiles, Meehan, ... and Graham. Will make for some interesting clashes with the Force next year.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-10-0...-coach/4991026

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ham105 View Post
    In other news, Steve Meehan has been appointed attack coach at the Reds. I thought it was a shame to see him go from the Force but I guess it didn't work out.

The Reds now have Stiles, Meehan, ... and Graham. Will make for some interesting clashes with the Force next year.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-10-0...-coach/4991026
    Well I guess two out of three ain't bad

Proudly Western Australian; Proudly supporting Western Australian rugby

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ham105 View Post
    The Reds now have Stiles, Meehan, ... and Graham. Will make for some interesting clashes with the Force next year.<br />
    <br />
    <a href="http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-10-01/queensland-reds-appoint-steve-meehan-as-attack-coach/4991026" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-10-01/queensland-reds-appoint-steve-meehan-as-attack-coach/4991026</a>
    <br />
    are you really sure. when a coaching panel very similar to that one was here we played atrocious dumb, boring rugby
    <font size="1"><i>Posted via Mobile Device</i></font>

Senior Player
    vCash
    Yeah, it was that.

However, of the three, I rate Smee. In the first few games of the season for the Force there were glimmerings of some attacking rugby. For whatever reason it didn't thrive.