Thread: Israel Folau takes out John Eales Medal for Wallabies player of the year ahead of cap

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash

Israel Folau takes out John Eales Medal for Wallabies player of the year ahead of cap

Updated about 6 hours agoFri 24 Oct 2014, 5:49am

Game-breaking full-back Israel Folau's huge value to rugby union has been underlined after he beat warm favourite and Wallabies captain Michael Hooper for the John Eales Medal.

In just his second year in the 15-a-side code, Folau added to an impressive tally of rugby union awards by winning one voted on by his fellow Wallabies.

Folau polled 314 votes to finish clear of openside flanker Hooper (232), who was widely tipped to become the first player in the 14-year history of the medal to win it in successive years.

The two Waratahs shared the Super Rugby player of the year award, while Hooper was named Australia's Choice player of the year.

In the John Eales Medal, prop James Slipper (208) was third, just ahead of centre Tevita Kuridrani (202).

Folau is only the fourth back in 14 years to win the medal after Chris Latham (2006), Matt Giteau (2009), and Kurtley Beale (2011).

The medal is voted for by the Wallabies on a 3-2-1 basis after each Test over the past 12 months, from last year's spring tour to last weekend's Bledisloe Cup Test.

Prolific tryscorer Folau comes off contract at the end of next year and has never ruled out moving back to rugby league, where he started his stellar professional career.

Folau scored 15 tries in 25 Tests, and his tally of 10 in 2013 equalled the most in a year by a Wallaby, set by another former rugby league star Lote Tuqiri.

In 2013, Folau also won the Super Rugby rookie and Australian Rugby Players' Association and International Rugby Players' Association's newcomer of the year awards.

Lock Sam Carter, who debuted against France in June and has played eight Tests, was named Wallabies rookie of the year.

New Wallabies head coach Michael Cheika won the Australian Super Rugby coach of the year after steering the Waratahs to their maiden title, which earned them the Australian Super Rugby team of the year.

Folau apart, the big winner of the awards night at Sydney's Randwick Racecourse was Melbourne Rebels flanker Sean McMahon, who took out three awards.

Uncapped McMahon, who was named in the Wallabies spring tour squad on Wednesday, won the Australian U20s player of the Year, the National Rugby Championship Player of the series and the Super Rugby rookie of the Year.

Emilee Cherry won the awards for women's player of the year in both sevens and 15-a-side, while Cameron Clark was named male sevens player of the year.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-10-2...-medal/5837682

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    When I heard this one this morning, My automatic reaction was to spark up, since he hadn't met my expectations of him this year. Those feelings are well documented, so I won't continue that line.

What did happen fairly quickly was me asking myself who else I would give it to.

Apart from AAC, nobody has a played enough games or b played consistently enough to even be in the hunt (does anybody disagree?)

C'mon the

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    I bet The Honeybadger polled well in the games he was there for, but missing the last five games counts him out.

I'm with you GIGS, no other worthy recipient IMHO

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    At least it wasn't Hooper...

A fair few posters on other rugby sites seemed to think he was a shoe in.

vCash
    Well deserved award for Israel who was streets ahead of anyone else.

vCash
    Doesn't feature in the Tah's pecking for best player, yet tops this one !!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post
    Well deserved award for Israel who was streets ahead of anyone else.
    Watch it mate! Defending mungos is my gig(s).

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Senior Player
    vCash
    I would have liked to see Slipper win it.

Hodgo should have got the super rugby player of the year award