Thread: Genuine depth means several stars won't make the Wallabies squad

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Genuine depth means several stars won't make the Wallabies squad

Genuine depth means several stars won't make the Wallabies squad

IT'S a little-known fact that Berrick Barnes was selected in the Wallabies 2007 World Cup squad on the basis of one game - played in 2006.

So few cup squad selection options did then Wallabies coach John Connolly have available to him that he was forced to rely on what Barnes had displayed in the Reds-Highlanders match in Townsville a year earlier in choosing him as understudy to five-eighth Steve Larkham.

Barnes at the time was so thunderstruck by his selection that he giddily announced he would be happy just to act as water boy for the side.

As it happened, he was required to play a somewhat more substantial role after Larkham was ruled out of the crucial pool match against Wales with the knee injury that ended his Test career.

The youngster made a hero of himself at Millennium Stadium, kicking a crucial field goal and setting up a dazzling try for Stirling Mortlock, but all too easily he might never have been selected.

So worried about Barnes was Connolly that on the eve of announcing his cup squad, he went out to Ballymore to watch him in action and came away excited by what he had seen - from another player.

On the day, Barnes was completely outplayed by Sunnybank five-eighth Ben Lucas and, for one brief moment, Connolly actually considered selecting him instead. Who knows, based on what Lucas displayed for the Reds at fullback on Saturday night against the Highlanders, it might have been an inspired choice.

Happily for Barnes, Connolly couldn't quite commit himself to such an outlandish leap of faith and so was launched the Test career of a player who would have been Rocky Elsom's vice-captain on last year's Wallabies spring tour had not injury intervened.

The reason for this trip down memory lane is to illustrate just how far Australian rugby has come over the past three years. Back then, in the actual World Cup year, Connolly was scraping to find 30 players capable of representing Australia. Now, more than a year out from the next World Cup, the toughest task his successor, Robbie Deans, faces will be telling worthy contenders they haven't made his 30-man squad for the June inbound Tests.

Even allowing for the fact that such Test regulars as Stephen Moore, Benn Robinson, Sekope Kepu, James Horwill, Stirling Mortlock and Wycliff Palu aren't in the mix because of injury and George Smith because of his retirement from international rugby, some quality footballers still are about to be passed over.

Injuries may have thinned out the front row stocks but there still is arguably more depth in the engine room than Australia has ever previously enjoyed. As the only surviving member of last year's Test front row still standing, Ben Alexander is a certainty, but on which side of the scrum?

If at tighthead, the Test position he occupied for most of last season, then Reds prop Ben Daley comes right into the reckoning at loosehead.
    If at loosehead, his Brumbies position, then the choice comes down to his ACT teammate Salesi Ma'afu, discarded NSW veteran Al Baxter or Rebels-bound Red Laurie Weeks.

In Moore's absence, Tatafu Polota-Nau is a certainty at hooker, with Saia Faingaa of the Reds possibly edging out Huia Edmonds on the basis that he started in 10 matches this season, while the Brumbies veteran was limited to some admittedly spectacular appearances off the bench.

Hopefully, Deans has worked his way through whatever problems he has with Nathan Sharpe because the second row is a problem spot and the Force skipper is a rare stand-out there.

Mark Chisholm might be the Test incumbent but his form - like that of the Brumbies generally - has been patchy this year and now might be the time for him to hand over to Dean Mumm.

Palu's injury has robbed the Australian back row of some serious strike power and while Richard Brown nominally is next in line, he is entirely a different player to the Waratahs number eight.

Still, let's use the midweek Barbarians matches to experiment with the likes of Leroy Houston and Ben Mowen and, in the first instance at least, go with Brown and the other back row Test regulars, David Pocock and captain Rocky Elsom.

The Reds' electrifying halves, Will Genia and Quade Cooper, should select themselves, the only question being whether Cooper's suspect defence will see him relegated to the bench, with Barnes running the show at 10, supported by Matt Giteau at 12.

From here on in, it's a nightmare. Outside centre is a race in four - with incumbent Digby Ioane under threat from Rob Horne, Adam Ashley-Cooper and the fast-improving league convert Will Chambers.

But settling on a 13 is a breeze compared with the task of sorting out the back three.

Ioane and Ashley-Cooper are strongly in contention here as well, along with a swag of players who would have waltzed into most Australia teams of the past - Kurtley Beale, Drew Mitchell, Lachlan Turner, James O'Connor, Cameron Shepherd, Peter Hynes and exciting uncapped newcomers Rod Davies and Pat McCabe. So it's with my profound apologies to such outstanding players as Phil Waugh, Stephen Hoiles, Matt Dunning, Turner, Mowen, Mitchell Chapman and a host of others that I present these two sides for consideration, one for the present, one (mostly) for the future.

Test XV: 15 Kurtley Beale, 14 Adam Ashley-Cooper, 13 Rob Horne, 12 Matt Giteau, 11 Drew Mitchell, 10 Quade Cooper, 9 Will Genia, 8 Richard Brown, 7 David Pocock, 6 Rocky Elsom, 5 Nathan Sharpe, 4 Dean Mumm, 3 Ben Alexander, 2 Tatafu Polota-Nau, 1 Ben Daley.

Midweek XV: 15 Peter Hynes, 14 Digby Ioane, 13 Will Chambers, 12 James O'Connor, 11 Rod Davies, 10 Berrick Barnes, 9 Luke Burgess, 8 Leroy Houston, 7 Matt Hodgson, 6 Scott Higginbotham, 5 Kane Douglas, 4 Rob Simmons, 3 Salesi Ma'afu, 2 Saia Faingaa, 1 Al Baxter.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news...-1225867458356

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Haha... Blinkered much ?
    Typical east coast selection mentality... That's fine based team results I suppose, but Deans has no such loyalty.. He will select based on individuals form and how they interact with others on the field. he is right on one thing.. Deans has got a massive headache this year
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    what would your changes be zimeric?

vCash
    I suspect Elsom won't make either team.
    This years side, unlike last years, will be picked with the world cup in mind.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TOCC View Post
    what would your changes be zimeric?

Test XV: 15 Kurtley Beale, 14 Rod Davies, 13 Digby Ioane, 12 Matt Giteau, 11 Drew Mitchell, 10 Quade Cooper, 9 Will Genia, 8 Richard Brown, 7 David Pocock, 6 Scott Higginbotham, 5 Nathan Sharpe, 4 Dean Mumm, 3 Ben Alexander, 2 Tatafu Polota-Nau, 1 Pek Cowan.

Midweek XV: 15 James O'Connor, 14 Digby Ioane, 13 AAC, 12 Rob Horne, 11 Cam Sheperd, 10 Berrick Barnes, 9 Brett Sheehan, 8 Stephen Hoiles, 7 Matt Hodgson, 6 Ben McCalman, 5 Kane Douglas, 4 Rob Simmons, 3 Salesi Ma'afu, 2 Saia Faingaa, 1 Matt Dunning

off the top of my head... the Maybe's are Hynes/Sheperd, Would love to see Inman or Cummins in the mix too but i doubt they'll make the cut.

Either way i have NO DOUBT that Deans is going to unleash a few surprises and bend a few noses out of joint.

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    TOCC:

Al Baxter is finished. He isn't in the best three tight-head props in Australia and he isn't going to get any better (or at least he hasn't for the past 6 years). In no way shape or form should he be included in the midweek team. Those games are for development players. Pek Cowan should take his place.

Rob Horne definitely shouldn't be in the Test XV. He'll be lucky to last through the national anthem without getting an injury. The boy falls apart faster than a Chinese motorcycle. Digby Ioane is a way better option.

Maybe against Fiji Beale could get a run at fullback, but to start against a quality opponent? No chance. It's great to have 2 playmakers (Cooper/Giteau) but three with Beale would sacrifice either power or speed or both.

The pack also looks a little soft in the back five. I know its sacrilige but I'd like to see Higginbotham, Pocock and Elsom team up.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    I'm still in favour (as in having watched some more matches) of my left field idea of Elsom at #4 allowing a Backrow of #6 Hodgson, #7 Pocock, #8 Higginbotham.
    Much is made of Locks and lineouts however, Hodgson, Higginbotham and Elsom are regularly used for their respective S14 lineouts.
    With Sharpe to jump at 4 for our feed and match the opposition tallest/best jumper on their feed then the above mentioned are suitable to cover the rest.
    With a game plan of running Rugby and ball in hand (which suits this more mobile 4-6-7-8 combination) then lineout supremecy is less critical but still servicable.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    TOCC:

Al Baxter is finished. He isn't in the best three tight-head props in Australia and he isn't going to get any better (or at least he hasn't for the past 6 years). In no way shape or form should he be included in the midweek team. Those games are for development players. Pek Cowan should take his place.

Rob Horne definitely shouldn't be in the Test XV. He'll be lucky to last through the national anthem without getting an injury. The boy falls apart faster than a Chinese motorcycle. Digby Ioane is a way better option.

Maybe against Fiji Beale could get a run at fullback, but to start against a quality opponent? No chance. It's great to have 2 playmakers (Cooper/Giteau) but three with Beale would sacrifice either power or speed or both.

The pack also looks a little soft in the back five. I know its sacrilige but I'd like to see Higginbotham, Pocock and Elsom team up.
    I agree that the midweek games should be saved for development players so baxter shouldnt be in the team.

However in regards to Horne, i believe his the best 13 running around in Australia at the moment based on form, he has bucketloads of potential and had a fantastic performance against Nonu and the hurricanes.

Beale, once again i think his the best 15 in Australia at the moment on form, he has settled right into the 15 position this year and Deans did display his intent to play Beale at 15 last year with a few games in that position.

Thats my opinion anyway.