Page 34 of 35 FirstFirst ... 24 30 31 32 33 34 35 LastLast

Thread: The future of WA rugby

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fulvio sammut View Post
    Andy, RA own the game, just like you own your car. If I drive off in your car without your permission, the law will get involved.

If RA are bloody minded enough, they can put pressure on the Union of the country your club/provincial/representative team is playing in, and have the game called off by them.

I was involved in an incident of this nature in the early 80's.

Palmyra in Thailand. guests of Bangkok Sport s club. Western Suburbs from Sydney also there. Namibian representative team present on way home from non IRB sanctioned game in Taiwan. Apartheid era. Tournament arranged at short notice with Wests, Pally, Namibia and Bangkok selection.

As Paly manager I get knock on hotel room door from two suits from Australian Embassy. "Your country does not wish for you to play against Namibian team."

I say We are not in "my country", and my team mostly Kiwi's anyway, but I will advise players of their information.It will be their decision.

Players (and I) meet, and give the bird.

Next day Thailand Rugby Union politely gives Paly, Wests, Namibia and Bangkok selection the bird. Will not sanction any game.

Not an Apartheid/racial issue for any of the teams involved. Paly had many Maori players, Wests Maoris and Islanders, Bangkok expats and locals of various races, all wanting to enjoy a rugby weekend.

Political pressure on Thai RU and ARU by their governments, and games cancelled. Simple as that.
    But what you are actually saying is that because they own a car, they can take legal action to prevent anyone else also owning a car. If I went to a court and asked for an injunction against you buying a motor, how far would I get?

You say they own the game - who sold it to them? Do they have a piece of paper proving ownership? Because it seems to me like it would get the same shrift as BHP and Rio claiming to 'own' iron ore production to seek an injunction against FMG being established.

As for what happened in Thailand, the Aus government got involved on political grounds. But exactly my point..they couldn't actually take real action, only get the TRU to use stand-over tactics on the local clubs. So instead of Apartheid and political ideology, the Aus government would play the regional heavy and tell a foreign government what their citizens should do just because RA are irked? Sounds like delusions of significance to me...even more so when the foreign rugby body would be the sponsor for the very team they are being asked to heavy. Is the Aus government really going to go to Singapore or China and effectively say "Look, Rugby Australia says you aren't allowed to have professional rugby in your country. Do something about it, or else"...?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FingerTips View Post
    You have got to hope against hope that ARU/RA are not as inert and as moronic as they make out, and that somewhere in the ARU/RA fiefdom, someone is engaging with China and the rest of Asia Rugby (and not just leaving it to Minderoo).
    I actually hope just the opposite.

If the ARU are talking to Jack Ma and Asia Rugby then the sole intention will be to set up an Asian league without any involvement by Twiggy.

Forgive me if this is naive, but Twiggy appears to be the only influential individual in this whole saga who has WA Rugby's back. If he is cut out of the deal, I fear that the Asian league will be a pure vehicle to prosper Heartland rugby and nothing more.

Sure there might be a pro team in Perth, but it will be staffed entirely out of Sydney and be used as a feeder team for the Shite Shield. I won't touch it if that's the case!

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    C'mon the

Legend Contributor fulvio sammut's Avatar
    vCash
    OK, Andy, time will tell who's right or not.

I hope it's you.

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    So do I, but I actually suspect they will pike it rather than rock the boat. Even after everything that has happened, I think they'll rather the warm comfortable feeling of belonging to an organisation that sees them as meaningless and holds them in nothing but contempt, rather than trying to chart a course in the unknown. To be honest, a continuation of what got us into this situation; ignoring every indication, every warning sign, to continue being good children and doing everything the ARU's way in the blind belief that they somehow had our best interests at heart. The behaviour is too deeply ingrained, and I were to honestly say how I think this will play out, it will be a return to the status quo ante where whatever casual contempt comes our way is relished as validation and human contact.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    Do you mind giving my share directly to the Future Force or a local rugby club. I wouldn't want my name attached to a single cent that goes towards Melbourne Rebels.

before anybody talks about supporting the WA boys who are now in the team, I would suggest the my method would support ALL of WA rugby, not the 10 or so players who have been forced to sign. It's not exactly selling out, because they had no choice, but I don't need to support it either.
    I'm thinking that given the way they are throwing memberships away they are selling tickets at a loss and I'm sure we can get some freebies as well. Will be the biggest crowd they get all year

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewM View Post
    I'm thinking that given the way they are throwing memberships away they are selling tickets at a loss and I'm sure we can get some freebies as well. Will be the biggest crowd they get all year
    OK, How's this, I'll go if they cover my airfares, accommodation and lost salary.

Actually looking at the way they've marketed so far, I might have a chance of that happening.

C'mon the

vCash
    OK, How's this, I'll go if they cover my airfares, accommodation and lost salary.

Actually looking at the way they've marketed so far, I might have a chance of that happening.
    Latest news from Rats Arse “all Force members to receive free Rable memberships which include travel but only 3 hrs before and after the game”

May the FORCE be with you!

vCash

Have they got a major sponsor yet?

'I may be a Senator but I am not stupid'

https://omny.fm/shows/the-alan-jones-breakfast-show/cameron-clyne

Link to Senate Report http://www.aph.gov.au/senate_ca

https://www.change.org/p/rugby-australia-petition-for-cameron-clyne-to-resign-as-chairman-of-the-rugby-australia-board

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bakkies View Post
    Vic Gov

The truth may set you free, but only evidence convicts

vCash
    Why should they replace RA

C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lou View Post
    Vic Gov
    With a cut going to a friendly Imperium Trust?

https://www.change.org/p/rugby-australia-petition-for-cameron-clyne-to-resign-as-chairman-of-the-rugby-australia-board

vCash
    With a cut going to a friendly Imperium Trust?
    Well Gary Gray's SMC Strategies did some of the leg work to broker the deal, so I imagine he got a cut for his efforts

The truth may set you free, but only evidence convicts

vCash
    Vic Gov
    Hopefully a change in government at next years state election see’s that torn up.

Champion
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SNOB View Post
    Latest news from Rats Arse “all Force members to receive free Rable memberships which include travel but only 3 hrs before and after the game”
    Bookings must be made within 48-72 hours

vCash
    Well Gary Gray's SMC Strategies did some of the leg work to broker the deal, so I imagine he got a cut for his efforts
    I see that Ann Sherry is on the NAB and Infrastructure Victoria boards

Page 34 of 35 FirstFirst ... 24 30 31 32 33 34 35 LastLast