Page 15 of 21 FirstFirst ... 5 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast

Thread: Western Force launch legal action in fight over Super Rugby future

Senior Player
    vCash
    If we survive the CHOP I'd dearly love to see Marcel become Rugby WA ambassador to the schools. The way I've seen him and Tataf chat and play with the kids is awesome. Be great to see those guys show up to the schools that have no rugby programs and get them on board.

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    If we get the chop, I hope Peni and Rona make themselves available for the Kiwis at the RL world cup. I think it would be a travesty if they denied themselves that chance because they signed with the Force on good faith they would be around.

Of course, whether they make the squad is another question altogether.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by chibi; 14-04-17 at 11:46.

Japan and the Pacific Islands for Aussie Super 9's!

Let's have one of these in WA! Click this link: Saitama Super Arena - New Perth Stadium?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    The criterion exists, but it isn't being published, because the bad press would increase if they published "be the western force" as the criterion they are using to make the decision. I like everything were doing to save our team, but I truly think that, unless our survival is guaranteed by the courts, we're on borrowed time anyway. Already preparing to turn my back on rugby altogether.
    Yeah I hear you.

but f**k i'd love for it to come to light. as it will do one of three things:
    - Be the final nail in the coffin because we're not worth keeping.

- Prove that there wasn't ever a process in place in the first place, demonstrating that there wasn't ever any real and considered consultation, with submissions against the criteria, comments back and opportunities to clarify/supply more information

- Prove that we need to remain in the competition because of a criteria the governing body agreed upon.

[EDIT] 4th point:

- that the release of the criteria will result in the media and fans using the same information that all clubs publish to compare all 5 franchises and then we will all actually have irrefutable proof and evidence to see who the best and worst states really are.
    - This will result in the questions being asked as to why the choice was narrowed down to these 2 clubs, and no further pressure being applied to the remaining clubs to get their shit in order.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by jono; 14-04-17 at 13:18.

vCash
    Your 3 options are pretty right, but the more I hear about the saga, the more convinced I become that either us or the board will go

C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    Your 3 options are pretty right, but the more I hear about the saga, the more convinced I become that either us or the board will go
    OH i had a 4th, but i forgot it & posted anyway, remembered it now:

- that the release of the criteria will result in the media and fans using the same information that all clubs publish to compare all 5 franchises and then we will all actually have irrefutable proof and evidence to see who the best and worst states really are.
    - This will result in the questions being asked as to why the choice was narrowed down to these 2 clubs, and no further pressure being applied to the remaining clubs to get their shit in order.

I also, think there will be board members going anyway.
    - The fact that the ARU knew it couldnt sustain 5 teams or an 18 team comp and yet both times approved the expansions.
    - The distribution of this 28mil will have to be picked up on now. There is more than enough breadcrumbs on here and GAGR for someone to spend an hour or two writing an article. Using this figure to justify cutting the force is a blatant lie AFAIC.
    (I also think Clyne not clarifying it in no less than 5 media opportunities this week is a further attempt to muddy the waters and an attempt to lump both teams together)

This whole saga will need to have some more casualties than just a team.

vCash
    Yes, but for us to survive 7 directors need the arse, (that's right isn't it 7 out of 9 voted for this?

C'mon the

Champion
    vCash
    The way a few of you guys are talking it sounds like you think we're goner's.

It ain't fucken over till it's over and it ain't fucken over.

4 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Wests Scarborough 1st Grade juggernaut has played finals rugby each and every year since its inception and continues this remarkable feat yet again this season and unbelievably it's still rolling on and as an added little circle jerk for the masses Wests actually hold the record for the current longest unbroken finals record.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by westies man View Post

Agree Westie-fat lady ain't singin just yet! I have faith in the brains at HQ! The ARU have tried a 2 pronged bluff at the Force and the Rebels they thought were easier targets than SANZAR, but it seems to be backfiring.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by westies man View Post

Just saying that it's going to take outside forces to knock sense into the thick heads in the driving seat is all.

C'mon the

Legend Contributor blueandblack's Avatar
    vCash

"12 Years a Supporter" starring the #SeaOfBlue

vCash
    We'll probably see the NRL invest money, revive the RL programs at places like Aranmore College get them into their S G Ball Squad on a pathway to the NRL.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    SMH running a story today including the following info' on ARU $ distribution - it is interesting and shows the inevitability of the Force and Rebels' predicament. Short answer, more than 10X ARU "top up payments" to the Tahs, reds and Brumbys compared to the Force and Rebels - how on earth could they expect us to be competitive!!!!

"There are about five million reasons why Australian rugby's problems will not disappear with the forcible dissolution of one of its Super Rugby teams.

Last year the Waratahs, Reds and Brumbies combined attracted $5 million in national top-ups over and above their $5 million salary caps, according to Australian Rugby Union figures obtained by Fairfax Media.

That's $5 million worth of the country's best players, as valued by the contracting bosses at the ARU, all poured into the country's three oldest and most successful teams.

The Force and the Rebels? Between them they attracted less than $400,000 in national top-ups last year. That was one player at the Western Force, on a contract "top-up" worth $270,000, and one player at the Rebels on a top-up worth $120,000.

The two clubs have long been Australia's poorest performing teams and last season was no different, with the Rebels finishing 12th on the 18-team Super Rugby ladder and the Force languishing in 16th spot.

But what did the Waratahs do with their prized roster, worth $2.6 million over and above the salary cap? They finished 10th – well outside a finals spot – while the Reds finished 15th despite boasting $1.05 million of the national top-up pie. Only the Brumbies made the finals, deploying their $1.3 million in top-ups to secure a home quarter final against the Highlanders. It ended there, but at least the Brumbies have two titles and six grand final appearances (the competition's second-highest behind the Crusaders) to their name after rugby's 20-year professional history.

What does the distribution of last year's national top-ups have to do with the future of Australian rugby? For starters it exposes the impossible conditions under which the two teams being fingered for the axe were asked to operate and succeed. Look a little closer and it also hints at the structural flaws in the game that mean slicing off one-fifth of the ARU's Super Rugby admittedly bloated cost base will not on its own usher in a new golden era for the sport."

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jono View Post
    OH i had a 4th, but i forgot it & posted anyway, remembered it now:

I also, think there will be board members going anyway.
    - The fact that the ARU knew it couldnt sustain 5 teams or an 18 team comp and yet both times approved the expansions.
    - The distribution of this 28mil will have to be picked up on now. There is more than enough breadcrumbs on here and GAGR for someone to spend an hour or two writing an article. Using this figure to justify cutting the force is a blatant lie AFAIC.
    (I also think Clyne not clarifying it in no less than 5 media opportunities this week is a further attempt to muddy the waters and an attempt to lump both teams together)

This whole saga will need to have some more casualties than just a team.
    Problem is- at one point it probably looked like we could sustain 5 teams. The problem was that the UK and French clubs coffers are growing and growing while their recruitment strategies are becoming more aggressive. Gone were the days that people at the twilight of their careers were picked up. Suddenly young starlets (think PAE) are picked up.

I have said a million times over- the problem isn't Australia's depth it is that New Zealand has never expanded. If you dilute NZ's 5 teams into 7, the competition is once more a more level playing field and you don't see shellackings like what is currently happening to the Sunwolves (currently behind 50-3).

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

Champion
    vCash
    Yep, Sunwolves into the Aussie conference is gonna fix absolutely nothing.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    Problem is- at one point it probably looked like we could sustain 5 teams. The problem was that the UK and French clubs coffers are growing and growing while their recruitment strategies are becoming more aggressive. Gone were the days that people at the twilight of their careers were picked up. Suddenly young starlets (think PAE) are picked up.

I have said a million times over- the problem isn't Australia's depth it is that New Zealand has never expanded. If you dilute NZ's 5 teams into 7, the competition is once more a more level playing field and you don't see shellackings like what is currently happening to the Sunwolves (currently behind 50-3).
    Agree to a point. BUT there is no getting away from the fact that NZ players generally place a greater value on the national jersey. The aura of the All Blacks is ingrained in kids from an early age. It's pervasive. Those posters that most Kiwis I know have - like the ones with the All Black squad where the "ghosts" of past AB's are standing in the forest behind them make a big impression on kids. Very strong "brand".

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Page 15 of 21 FirstFirst ... 5 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast