Page 30 of 55 FirstFirst ... 20 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 40 ... LastLast

Thread: Force set to be axed

vCash
    Extremely interesting cheers Jono

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Could be the answer to our prayers. Given the new Premier's front foot support of the 'keep the Force' campaign so far, I think it looks promising. Fingers crossed!

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Proudly Western Australian; Proudly supporting Western Australian rugby

Legend Contributor fulvio sammut's Avatar
    vCash
    Is it the truth, or did you read it in the Daily Telegraph?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    From Pandaraman, can it possibly be true or a windup?!

vCash
    More than a little. Pandarum has been death riding the Force forever. This is a positive development no doubt about it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fulvio sammut View Post
    Is it the truth, or did you read it in the Daily Telegraph?
    We get that Fulvio. But the turnaround in the Sydney press sentiment can only be a good development. Of course it could not be that Rupert has pulled them into line. Could it?

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Senior Player
    vCash
    The power of Alan Jones mate.

The last Premier would go to his apartment before he put new plans in place. Huge amount of power in that state.

The Western Force's media department have done an exceptional role where we are now the darlings, I have a feeling they had planned what they would do when the ARU made this sort of decision for the past year. The speed and multi-pronged attack could not have been done had they not known they were on the chopping block. It was also most likely in the back of their mind when they did the deal with the ARU in 2015 with the alliance agreement.

The only positive about this whole episode, is when it is all sorted, our future is pretty much secure forever.

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Champion
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jono View Post
    This is interesting:

On phone, pasting links is dodgy.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/spo...9755ac87c7dfbd
    One of the part owners of the Highlanders franchise that is mentioned in the article above also has a very strong connection here in Perth, met him last year. Hopefully where there's smoke there's fire.

Wests Scarborough 1st Grade juggernaut has played finals rugby each and every year since its inception and continues this remarkable feat yet again this season and unbelievably it's still rolling on and as an added little circle jerk for the masses Wests actually hold the record for the current longest unbroken finals record.

Champion
    vCash
    Wow that's some impressive support! Great news on the own the force stuff as well..

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jono View Post
    This is interesting:

On phone, pasting links is dodgy.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/spo...9755ac87c7dfbd

Quartet of powerbrokers trying to rescue Western Force from Super Rugby cull
    JAMIE PANDARAM, The Daily Telegraph
    April 17, 2017 5:40pm
    A GROUP of heavyweight rugby identities and millionaire businessmen are plotting to save the Western Force from Super Rugby oblivion.

The “big four” behind the campaign can today be revealed by the Daily Telegraph, and include former ARU chief executive Gary Flowers and the Force’s inaugural chief Peter O’Meara.

Alongside them are highly successful businessmen Jon Collins, himself a former ARU and Waratahs director, and ground signage guru Raymond Burke, who has pledged to pump $50 million into the Force over the next 10 years if he can strike a deal with the West Australian government.

Flowers, O’Meara and Collins have all purchased shares in the Own The Force campaign, which insiders say has pledges of $8 million.

Former ARU boss Gary Flowers is one of quarter of rugby powerbrokers seeking to save the Western Force from being culled from Super Rugby.
    “This idea of community ownership is worth exploring, and Perth is a unique market compared to Queensland and NSW because of the connection to the community,” O’Meara said.

“We’ve all been involved in rugby for a long time and we are right behind this - are we all silly?”

Burke, who co-owns New Zealand’s Highlanders franchise, had a proposal to take over the ground signage and ticketing at Force’s home ground nib Stadium rejected by the previous WA government, but it has been resubmitted.

“We are not asking for any money from the government, we’re just asking for assets that we will turn around and invest into the Western Force, and I guarantee that if they give us the support the Force will win a premiership in five years like the Highlanders did,” Burke said.

While that proposal is being reviewed by the government in Perth, the Force still has significant financial support flowing through.

Collins, who sold his Sykes Group business in 2010 for $55 million, has not ruled out a private ownership bid of the club depending on the outcome of the legal writ the franchise has taken out against the ARU.

“The Own The Force campaign is a great initiative, I will be investing in it, and then I will be talking further to Peter [O’Meara] about what we can do once the legal action put in place has been resolved,” Collins said.

“I was an ARU director from 2002-04 and we looked in detail at the two proposals from Perth and Victoria when we were introducing a new team, it was a resounding ‘yes’ for Perth to get the next Super Rugby side.

“While they haven’t had success in winning the competition, there has been great success in junior development and grassroots enthusiasm.

“Western Australian fans will feel as though they’ve been led down the garden path with what’s happened at the ARU over the past four months.”

The ARU announced last Monday that either the Force or Melbourne Rebels will axed from the tournament.

Flowers, who was running Australian rugby when the Force were introduced to Super Rugby in 2005, said it was imperative to see them remain in a rejigged 15-team tournament from next year.

“Rugby can legitimately become the No.2 code in Western Australia [behind AFL], in Melbourne AFL is clearly No.1, then there is massive support for football, and then you’ve got the Storm who are very entrenched in the city,” Flowers said.

“It is a tough job that the ARU have, one of the things I’m not sure has been done is an assessment of the impact of cutting a team.

“It’s very well to say there’s a risk in keeping the same format, but what about the damage of losing a team.”

Crowds across the SANZAAR board have been down since it was announced that three teams, including two from South Africa, would soon be axed.
    Thanks Jono.

For those that remember one of the first InnFORCErs Tours & the pre-match lunch at Randwick - this was arranged for us by Mr Jon Collins who was my contact there.

Interesting article!

Internet Troll
    I am an Internet Troll
    Please ignore my posts

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by westies man View Post
    One of the part owners of the Highlanders franchise that is mentioned in the article above also has a very strong connection here in Perth, met him last year. Hopefully where there's smoke there's fire.
    Yep, at Neddies.

I am really a Palmyra troll.

vCash
    Cheers JK

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Egan View Post

The only positive about this whole episode, is when it is all sorted, our future is pretty much secure forever.
    That would be nice. The main thing that I hope happens is that the sport's governance is sorted and a proper and fair salary cap is introduced. That would be worth all the pain. It would go a long way to facilitate better on field performance.

4 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Egan View Post
    Yep, because of everything that has happened in the last week, the ARU would likely to have gone back to the drawing board to actually work out what it can do. R
    I think you're giving the ARU board far too much credit Egan. I suspect, based upon events of the last 4 months, that many of them probably don't even realise they will be resigning soon.

C'mon the

Senior Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    That would be nice. The main thing that I hope happens is that the sport's governance is sorted and a proper and fair salary cap is introduced. That would be worth all the pain. It would go a long way to facilitate better on field performance.
    My mate has the point of introducing a draft, which would also mean Western Australian Rugby players potentially heading to eastern states franchises. It probably would give a greater appreciation on the east coast of the benefit of WA for the national system which has been one of the biggest issues for the Force since the start. Eg the poaching of Red's players left a bitter taste in the mouth from the first season.

The beauty of reform is that it can be done, if we are out of the competition the benefits of Australian Rugby losing a side is only for those east of the nullabor. The argument of the ARU that dropping a team only works if they think grassroots development is mutually exclusive from the Super license. The most powerful comment was the women's rugby association WA mentioning it would be a disaster for them if the Force was axed. In business terms for Pulver its called leveraging.

One of the area's I would like for reform is that there are obligations on the franchises from the ARU board to the Super teams if grants are delivered. The complete lack of business skills from people on the board is incredible. Had any of them utilised the skills they had done in their professional careers none of what is currently going on would have occurred.

When they gave extra money to the Waratahs and Reds, why did they not say that we expect XXX by 2020 in terms of growth in rugby participation in a specific region? There are more qualified professionals on this forum, but the whole episode seems like the ARU have been asleep at the wheel for decades thinking the good times would keep rolling and they could just use it as a break from actually growing the game.

Without reform and passion for the game, the code dies. I hope this lesson will be learnt so that they actually run the game like a business, rather than a club for the boys to have cucumber sandwiches at Bledisloe Cup games.

Page 30 of 55 FirstFirst ... 20 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 40 ... LastLast