Left-out Brumbies can force selection
BY KYLE MACKEY-LAWS
RUGBY UNION
16/02/2009 1:00:00 A
M

ACT Brumbies coach Andy Friend says players omitted from the club's opening Super 14 match can force their way into the team for Saturday's home clash with the Canterbury Crusaders.
Scrumhalf Josh Holmes, and Wallabies Peter Kimlin and Ben Alexander were noticeable absentees from the starting 15, but Friend said positions were still up for grabs following Friday's 33-31 victory over the Otago Highlanders.

He will use tonight's 10-a-side competition to help pick his side for Saturday's clash with the defending champions at Canberra Stadium.

Friend opted for Julian Salvi at blindside flanker and was pleased with the way the 23-year-old performed.

Salvi was picked ahead of Wallaby Kimlin, but Friend said he would wait until after tonight's matches to decide if Salvi held his spot.

''You know exactly what you are going to get with Jules 80 minutes of rugby with good skill and ability.

''But it came down to match fitness, Peter has come back from the Wallabies' spring tour and like a few of the boys he didn't have the fitness of the other boys.''

Salvi was hopeful he'd done enough on Friday night to keep his spot for the Brumbies' first home match.

''I think it's still going to be a week-to-week selection who we are playing, how I perform and how others perform but I hope I've done enough to secure the spot for this weekend but it will be decided later this week,'' Salvi said.

''I hope he reviews the performance well, I think I did myself some favours.''

Salvi was thrilled to get the nod ahead of Kimlin for last week's season opener after training hard through the summer.

He said his combination with George Smith worked well against the Highlanders.

''I'm pretty happy with my performance, between me and George I think we acted as two No7s and linked up well,'' Salvi said.

''But with Kimlin and Chapman also pushing I know I'm going to have to play well to maintain spot I always knew it was going to be tough.''

Friend will be watching tonight's 10s matches closely, with several contracted and Brumbies Academy players taking part in the four-week challenge.

Friend said the matches would be useful tools for his coaching staff, and said strong performances could impact on his team selections.

''We've got virtually all players in the 16 to 22 jerseys playing, and also guys like Gene Fairbanks and Huia Edmunds who haven't had much of a chance to show us what they've got so far,'' Friend said.

''We really want the players to understand that this competition is another avenue to show us what they've got and it's the reason we'll hold back on selection until Wednesday.

''It also gives the boys some rugby match fitness, and it allows us to view the guys play more importantly it's a chance for them to play footy.''

While pleased with the performance of scrumhalf Phibbs last Friday, Friend said he would watch Holmes closely tonight.

''I thought Phibbsy held his composure well and really gave us something,'' Friend said.

''He pulled us out of a hole and really showed some good experience.

''I want to have a look at how Josh goes in the 10s.

''Both offer different things it's important to note they are not similar halfbacks, and Phibbs has that stability that comes with experience and that's why I gave him the nod last week.''

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/news...px?storypage=0

SATURDAY

Super 14 round two: ACT Brumbies v Canterbury Crusaders at Canberra Stadium,