Thread: Start again and call for an open tender for all Australian Super Rugby clubs

vCash

Start again and call for an open tender for all Australian Super Rugby clubs

This is way beyond a farce now! I don't think there is any alternative but for the ARU Board and CEO to either resign or be sacked. The process is all over the place. Multiple govenerance models and different financial models for different clubs. We should do what South African rugby is doing and use it as an opportunity to restructure both the governance and then hold an open tender for all Australian Super Rugby Clubs.

We could put down a minimum criteria and then open it up. People could choose to merge, put new models together or chance their arm and leave the current offering in place. If the ARU are really wanting to support the grass roots (which they really need to be doing more of) then they can't afford to prop up ANY of the Super Rugby clubs. That means they must all be self sustaining.

Centralising their marketing, ticketing and back office platforms would make a lot of since and make every club have an alliance agreement. Do you really need five CFO's, five COO's and five CIO's?

And by grassroots I don't mean Shuts shield. Hell if the argument is all about Shuts Shield needing more love, make it the national club competition. Have multiple tiers in the competition with relegation and promotion. Let each Super Rugby Team field a development team in the comp. You could scrap the ARC. There is no way on a $3 Mil Foxtel sponsorship that it is breaking even regardless of what Puller has said.

We need some creative thinking and the normal squabble between the various unions and levels of the game will only lead to contraction and eventually irrelevance. Puller was right in saying it was the most competitive winter sporting market in the world, so you can be AFL, Football and NRL are quite happy to fill the gap if we can't get our house in order!

ARU needs to get it's shit together and FAST!

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Puller - love it WF2404!!!

He shall be forever known to me as Puller 😂😂😂

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Proudly Western Australian; Proudly supporting Western Australian rugby

Champion
    vCash
    This whole sorry state of affairs is a complete and utter mess. It's got to the stage where I am ready to disassociate myself with the game.

Every time I have a look at my facebook there are 10 different posts bagging the Rebels, hanging shit on Eastern State franchises and people absolutely giving it to the ARU and rightfully so.

It has done massive damage to rugby in this country and irrespective of the outcome it won't recover now.

I'm over it ,what a complete fuck up.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Wests Scarborough 1st Grade juggernaut has played finals rugby each and every year since its inception and continues this remarkable feat yet again this season and unbelievably it's still rolling on and as an added little circle jerk for the masses Wests actually hold the record for the current longest unbroken finals record.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Alison View Post
    Puller - love it WF2404!!!
    Damn autocorrect!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WF2404 View Post
    Damn autocorrect!
    No, no - I think it's awesome! So much more polite and subtle than the "w word" 😜

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by westies man View Post
    This whole sorry state of affairs is a complete and utter mess. It's got to the stage where I am ready to disassociate myself with the game.

Every time I have a look at my facebook there are 10 different posts bagging the Rebels, hanging shit on Eastern State franchises and people absolutely giving it to the ARU and rightfully so.

It has done massive damage to rugby in this country and irrespective of the outcome it won't recover now.

I'm over it ,what a complete fuck up.
    Same here Westie. Even if the ARU/SANZAAR do a complete 180 turnaround on last week's announcements, they have done irreparable damage to the game, particularly in WA. We will be forever looking over our shoulders for the axemen unless the whole governance model is ripped up and rebuilt in a different guise. And let's face it, for as long as the model suits NSW, Qld and the private school old boys network, it will never ever change.

It's been hard enough to attract the top tier players to the Force thus far, it will be even more difficult even if we do get a reprieve. I mean, who would want to chose the Force if there is so much uncertainty hanging over both it and your playing future? We'll only manage to attract young blokes looking for their first big contract or journeymen. How will that ever make us successful? Vicious circle, catch 22 etc etc etc

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Misses the point a little though Alison. A big part of the reason we are in this position is we still think we should be dependent on attracting players and administration from the East. It was unavoidable at the beginning, but one of the primary drivers for the Force should have been self-sufficiency on all fronts. Especially in the early days while still in the honeymoon period, they should have been driving hard to accelerate player development. It is not like we could have been worse, and that continued dependency and perceived drain is a big part of why we are on the block.