Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Quartet of powerbrokers trying to rescue Western Force from Super Rugby cull

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    I agree with bison. War was actually declared by the ARU at that meeting, it seems as though it was being planned long before that.

At least we now know well be getting facts and figures from both sides now,
    not to mention we've been under siege since they extorted the IP out of us

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Did always wonder why we had to give up something valuable to get our bail out when none of the other franchises have ever had to do that (as far as I know). We should have smelt a rat then!

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Proudly Western Australian; Proudly supporting Western Australian rugby

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Alison View Post
    Did always wonder why we had to give up something valuable to get our bail out when none of the other franchises have ever had to do that (as far as I know). We should have smelt a rat then!
    Yep that is very true Alison. It really sh*ts me how the ARU treats us. FFS we just need to be treated the same as the other Aussie franchises for the sake of Australian rugby.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Legend Contributor blueandblack's Avatar
    vCash
    Hope we can get it back though (before 2020)

"12 Years a Supporter" starring the #SeaOfBlue

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Alison View Post
    Plenty smelled a rat, and that may well include elements of RugbyWA. But there has alwaus been this illusion that the ARU somehow has our back, endless evidence to the contrary. There was only ever one reason for them to go down the ownership path and I hope that, should the Force somehow survive all this, it never forgets that it has to always do what is best for WA and itself. Those are the real rules of the game.

4 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    Rebels gave up their IP rights a few years ago.

Got them back with the private ownership deal.

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

Senior Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Egan View Post
    A Rebels fan from Melbourne is telling me the ARU are trying to bribe the Western Australian Government with a Bledisloe Cup match every two years in compensation for losing the Force.

I would have expected if true that would have gone down like a lead balloon...
    I don't see how this could happen.

Firstly, there will always be one Bledisloe played in Sydney, except when the Homebush Stadium is unavailable between 2019 and 2022 - and even then, I wonder why the ARU don't take it on the chin, ramp up the seat prices to compensate for the seating limitation of 45,500 at SFS and play the 2019-2022 Bledisloe matches at Moore Park.

Secondly, Brisbane think that they have dibs on the second Bledisloe in Australia which is played in alternate years, because they have Lang Park (capacity 52,500), and if they don't get it, then you'd expect either Sydney or Melbourne (Etihad, capacity 53,000) to squabble over getting it.

Thirdly, if the Force is culled in 2018, then the WA Government (and taxpayers) probably won't want to hand over $5 million each second year to the ARU for the privilege of having the Bledisloe played in Perth, after having been conned out of $100 million plus for NIB, new Rugby HQ premises and other support.

Fourthly, the sense of resentment in WA over any culling of the Force may lead to a boycott of future international rugby matches by Perth based people - a "Boycott the Bledisloe" campaign?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyS View Post
    Plenty smelled a rat, and that may well include elements of RugbyWA. But there has alwaus been this illusion that the ARU somehow has our back, endless evidence to the contrary.
    I might be naive but, prior to the current ARU admin, I don't think this kind of duplicitous behaviour would have been contemplated. There has been the belief that ARU funding was almost a God given right to NSW and Qld clubs. But demanding the terms of this "alliance" and how it's being used is a new level of bastardry that lots of the ES "establishment" are having trouble copping. Maybe part o the cause of the Big turn around in support for us surviving?

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    My understanding is that the Alliance Agreement was drawn up by our legals and not the ARU, so I hope they did a good job with the details.

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The InnFORCEr View Post
    My understanding is that the Alliance Agreement was drawn up by our legals and not the ARU, so I hope they did a good job with the details.
    Fingers crossed

Champion
    vCash
    A Rebels fan from Melbourne is telling me the ARU are trying to bribe the Western Australian Government with a Bledisloe Cup match every two years in compensation for losing the Force.

I would have expected if true that would have gone down like a lead balloon...
    A trustworthy source no doubt.

Senior Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FingerTips View Post
    I don't see how this could happen.

Firstly, there will always be one Bledisloe played in Sydney, except when the Homebush Stadium is unavailable between 2019 and 2022 - and even then, I wonder why the ARU don't take it on the chin, ramp up the seat prices to compensate for the seating limitation of 45,500 at SFS and play the 2019-2022 Bledisloe matches at Moore Park.

Secondly, Brisbane think that they have dibs on the second Bledisloe in Australia which is played in alternate years, because they have Lang Park (capacity 52,500), and if they don't get it, then you'd expect either Sydney or Melbourne (Etihad, capacity 53,000) to squabble over getting it.

Thirdly, if the Force is culled in 2018, then the WA Government (and taxpayers) probably won't want to hand over $5 million each second year to the ARU for the privilege of having the Bledisloe played in Perth, after having been conned out of $100 million plus for NIB, new Rugby HQ premises and other support.

Fourthly, the sense of resentment in WA over any culling of the Force may lead to a boycott of future international rugby matches by Perth based people - a "Boycott the Bledisloe" campaign?
    I agree, if that is offered to WA Government it is pretty worthless compensation. I doubt we will be charged for the games, rather given them as 'compensation' that the ARU thought was a bargaining chip for them to use.

Like I said, not sure how much weight that information had, but if it is true it shows how little time they have actually spent understanding the state.

Champion
    vCash
    I agree, if that is offered to WA Government it is pretty worthless compensation. I doubt we will be charged for the games, rather given them as 'compensation' that the ARU thought was a bargaining chip for them to use.

Like I said, not sure how much weight that information had, but if it is true it shows how little time they have actually spent understanding the state.
    It is not really compensation. The proceeds from test matches played in Perth go to the ARU coffers. The ARU has no obligation to reinvest these proceeds into WA rugby. The ARU would just take the money and run. Thats assuming enough disenfranchised supporters bother to buy tickets to fill the ARU coffers, which i highly doubt. Losing the Force will leave a bitter taste in the mouth of many in WA.

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Senior Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalahard View Post
    It is not really compensation. The proceeds from test matches played in Perth go to the ARU coffers. The ARU has no obligation to reinvest these proceeds into WA rugby. The ARU would just take the money and run. Thats assuming enough disenfranchised supporters bother to buy tickets to fill the ARU coffers, which i highly doubt. Losing the Force will leave a bitter taste in the mouth of many in WA.
    The reason why State Governments want to buy events such as the Bledisloe Cup is all about the ancilliary spending for accomodation/food for any interstate fans/kiwi fans that may travel over for the matches.

I agree that the offer is stupid, its just this guy keeps ribbing me for us to accept this deal so I was putting it out there to see if these are the sorts of games from the ARU. Where even the supposed compensation is inadequate.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    The ARU was flagging the Rebels Bid as superior because the Victorian Govt was going to PAY the ARU $8million if they got a Bled and Lions Test.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast