Thread: Ranga Kimlin already a stand-out Wallaby - and he can play a bit, too

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Ranga Kimlin already a stand-out Wallaby - and he can play a bit, too

Red-hot Kimlin already a stand-out Wallaby - and he can play a bit, too

October 10, 2008

AS A footballer, there are advantages and disadvantages to having a carrot top. You are either noticed by selectors for flashy play or exposed when you do something wrong. The latest Wallaby, Peter Kimlin, is well aware of that.

Kimlin, 23, was yesterday brought into the Wallabies squad to tour Hong Kong and Europe as a replacement for the injured James Horwill, and the colour of his hair was soon the subject of the media's fascination at team training.

Kimlin yesterday remarked that he was probably the first redhead at the ACT Brumbies since the days of David Knox. "Some of the boys give me grief about that," Kimlin said.

It even came up when Wallabies coach Robbie Deans explained why Kimlin was chosen to join the squad, which will leave to play five Tests in Hong Kong, Italy, France, Wales and England in just over two weeks.

"Peter is a bloke you do notice when he plays, because he has a high work-rate, and through his athleticism, is quite influential in what he does. Possibly his hair colour helps as well," Deans said. "But that is not necessarily an advantage if you're not doing what's required when you get there."

While Kimlin may not be that well known to those outside the Brumbies fraternity - he often played off the bench this year as back-up to starting locks Mark Chisholm and Al Campbell - his elevation is another indicator of how seriously Deans treated this year's Australia A program. Consistent performances during the Pacific Nations Cup convinced Deans that Kimlin was going to further than the Brumbies bench.

"Peter has had some exposure at Australia A level, and was someone who had been on our radar," Deans said. "It was inevitable he was going to get an opportunity at some point. It may have come a little bit earlier than what he was anticipating."
    Deans said Kimlin proved he could handle the physicality of the representative game, and, "Mentally, he ate it up."

Kimlin was beckoned to train with the Wallabies in Sydney several days ago, but his selection was only confirmed yesterday.

The promotion has forced Kimlin to call off a planned holiday to Perth and Thailand, but yesterday he was far from dejected by the late change of plan. In fact, he seemed stunned that he had been handed a Wallabies jersey years ahead of his time.

"I only came to training this year believing that I could learn from the other players, but now there is an opportunity," he said.

Greg Growden

http://www.rugbyheaven.com.au/news/n...145542949.html

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    "The promotion has forced Kimlin to call off a planned holiday to Perth and Thailand"

scoop..over here sussing out accommodation.

vCash
    Pretty much no-one holidays in Perth for fun, I'm quite surprised SMH hasn't picked up on that part and suggestd he is headed to the doomed, sinking ship the Force where he will soon join the revolt against Coach Mitch

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by laura View Post
    Pretty much no-one holidays in Perth for fun
    I classify all my trips to Perth as business, the ATO see it differently.