Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Fallible Force fail to fire

vCash

Fallible Force fail to fire

Rusty Sharks edge fallible Force
    Super 14 | February 15th, 2008

The Sharks managed a 17-10 victory in a lively but error-strewn affair at Kings Park on Friday.

The final quarter was a great test for both teams in terms of fitness, as the increased number of free kicks saw both sides opting to keep the ball alive. The nerve-wracking final 10 minutes would have had Sharks supporters having flashbacks to the 2007 Super 14 final, where Bulls winger Bryan Habana scored the winning try. However, the Force coughed up possession at the last and Sharks replacement scrumhalf Rory Kockott sealed the win when he kicked the ball out.

The first half was a forgettable one for both teams. The Sharks found themselves in promising positions but blew numerous opportunities through poor decision-making and unbelievably shocking handling. The pace of the game was frantic with both sides capitalising on the increased number of free kicks, but this inevitably led to a lack of structure, which eliminated one of the Sharks real strengths.

This was evident through the only try of the first half. Starting from outside the Force 22, the Sharks maul rumbled through the defence [EDIT: A bit of a worry there] with Jacques Botes eventually scoring the try. They were unable to emulate this execution in subsequent attacks.

The Force did not enjoy as much possession or territory as the Sharks, but they also managed to butcher a number of opportunities. Cameron Shepherd and Drew Mitchell had an awful night, the latter placing his side under all sorts of pressure through his inability to clear with his right foot.

The second stanza started much like the first, but in the 52nd minute, Brad Barritt provided the catalyst this game so desperately needed. The ball was swung wide off a Sharks attack in the opposition 22 and the young centre produced a classy palm-on that resulted in a try to Stefan Terblanche. At 14-3, the hosts finally had some reward for their dominance.

But the Sharks failed to press home this advantage, and when Scott Staniforth intercepted a pass on halfway, the visitors found themselves just four points behind. Staniforth offloaded inside to Matt Giteau who shifted the final pass to replacement hooker Luke Holmes. Giteau’s conversion took the score to 14-10.

The Force missed captain Nathan Sharpe in the line-out
    [EDIT: WHEN WILL PEOPLE LEARN? NEVER NEVER EAT ANYTHING IN SAFFALAND!!!!!], and opposite number Johann Muller did well to pilfer a few off the Force throw-in. This match wasn’t dominated by set-pieces, but the Sharks clearly held the ascendancy in this department.

Winger Nick Cummins excelled for the Force out wide, stepping Henno Mentz and having the best of the Sharks No 14 in the aerial battle. Giteau didn’t have the impact John Mitchell would have hoped for and was guilty of some poor kicks that placed his side under undue pressure.

Frans Steyn was a late replacement for Freddie Michalak at flyhalf and also struggled to stamp his authority on the game. The Bok utility player did, however, nail a vital penalty from inside his own half to seal the victory in the dying minutes.

Sharks - Try: Jacques Botes, Stefan Terblanche. Conversions: Ruan Pienaar (2). Penalty: Frans Steyn.
    Force - Try: Luke Holmes. Conversion: Matt Giteau. Penalty: Cameron Shepherd.

By Jon Cardinelli

keo.co.za

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Laura Force Addict v Chook scrabble-off on Facebook: laura & Force Addict 0 | chook 9

Gigsa made me do it

"He who conquers others is strong; he who conquers himself is mighty." – Lao Tzu

vCash
    DAMMIT!!!!!

vCash
    Fallible Force? What a crock of shit!

With the week they had to stay within 7 was a credit. They didn't play well but were still in with a chance of nicking it right 'till the death. The skipper didn't play and young Tom had to call the line-outs. The crucial ones we lost were the diff IMHO and that's not knocking young Tom he was chucked in the deep end big time.

Onward and upward.

BTW, is 17-10 a bonus point?

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Yes..it was a bonus point

Ed Chook......Sharpie was crook when he got on the bus in Perth and looks like he didnt shakethe bug.

The bit the journo missed too was the try that Matt Hadgson scored under the posts with a minute to go but the ref dissallowed.

vCash
    IMHO, there didn't look too much wrong with that last lineout. We got a couple of dodgy ref calls in the last quarter.

CHEERLEADERS ROCK!!!

vCash
    Just checked the super14.com website and we are on 1 point!

I made Happy sad...

vCash
    I didnt see anything wrong with the Hogdson try in an honest opinion. The ball was tapped back in the lineout, and the sharks player was the one who tapped it towards his own try-line. I honestly could not see why it was called back for a knock-on, even after replaying again and again.
    I was quite disappointed in the way kelvin deaker handled the game. He made some dodgy calls in the last half and just wasn't consistent both ways. I thought he missed out on some calls where the sharks player was playing the ball on the ground...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jess View Post
    Ahead of the Brumbies.

CHEERLEADERS ROCK!!!

vCash
    So I took a bit of artistic licence, whats wrong with that? The Force are sooooo cute, you guys are still my second team.

Hooked Shasta big time though, kudos to meeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!

Laura Force Addict v Chook scrabble-off on Facebook: laura & Force Addict 0 | chook 9

Gigsa made me do it

"He who conquers others is strong; he who conquers himself is mighty." – Lao Tzu

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jess View Post
    Wy not just check teh TWF website? Super14 Ladder on teh front page, right column

vCash
    I'm just not that clever apparently.

TWF really is a complete source of all rugby knowledge and and endless supply of info. Don't need to go anywhere else.

You're a good man coach!

I made Happy sad...

vCash
    Unfortunately, there are a couple of things in this article which were concerns....The maul....we didn't handle that one at all (of course they put 15 men into it) so that was a real concern....Although , they tipped their hand there and we managed to break up all subsequent mauls early.

The counerattack rather than run thing...I've seen both Drew and Cam kick MIRACLE balls out of danger before, and they're used to keeping the ball infied, they did it all season. I think the run vs kick thing from the back three is deliberate....I'm not sure it worked

The handling errors, they were there, it wasn't good enough, but the ball was like the proverbial bar of soap and it was game one...this will improve, shame we had to start against such a strong team!

I'm not looking for tall buildings yet, but I hope Sharpie gets better soon!

C'mon the

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    Unfortunately, there are a couple of things in this article which were concerns....The maul....we didn't handle that one at all (of course they put 15 men into it) so that was a real concern....Although , they tipped their hand there and we managed to break up all subsequent mauls early.

The counerattack rather than run thing...I've seen both Drew and Cam kick MIRACLE balls out of danger before, and they're used to keeping the ball infied, they did it all season. I think the run vs kick thing from the back three is deliberate....I'm not sure it worked

The handling errors, they were there, it wasn't good enough, but the ball was like the proverbial bar of soap and it was game one...this will improve, shame we had to start against such a strong team!

I'm not looking for tall buildings yet, but I hope Sharpie gets better soon!
    why cant they develop an all weather ball that doesn't become slippery when wet

vCash
    I'm pretty sure Sharpie will be back next week for the Cheetahs. He looked ill last night but not so much so that it will devastate his fitness. Just gotta let these tummy bugs run their course so no doubt there will be a few days of bed rest and many a trip to the loo but he should be on the mend in a few days.
    He looked like he could have played last night if absolutely necessary but given he's such an integral component of our team and our success I think they rested him so as to not take any chances.

Get well soon Sharpie and can't wait to see you get back out onto the paddock!

I made Happy sad...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by brokendown gunfighter View Post
    why cant they develop an all weather ball that doesn't become slippery when wet
    you don't like wet balls?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast