Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: New Coach announced - Dave Wessels

vCash
    Well said Tazz. I'll be there to support the boys, I don't expect them to win every game, just play with passion and grit

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Laugh and the world laughs with you.......
    ......cry and you'll weaken your beer

Player
    vCash
    From what I read about Wessels he is a book taught coach who in his own words was not good at playing rugby so he took up coaching.
    I am not looking forward to season 2017.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    I'm renewing, as you may as well write the Force's relocation papers now if no one turns up next year, but you'll be able to recognize me as the guy with this look on my face... it's all well and good to support the team but I need some hope things are going to get better.

Name:  1114613.jpg
Views: 563
Size:  53.4 KB

5 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by choice View Post
    From what I read about Wessels he is a book taught coach who in his own words was not good at playing rugby so he took up coaching.
    Although being good at playing rugby means naff-all when it comes to coaching rugby. Some of the top players (in any sport) would be terrible coaches because they had naturally good techniques and so didn't have to learn what it takes.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

vCash
    The biggest problem in sport today is the mistaken belief that great players make great coaches.
    They do not! Some of the best coaches in world sports have never been able to play the games they coach.
    And God knows that Australian Rugby is full of great players who can't coach (or commentate) for shit!

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Look forward to baking a massive humble pie in a year or two and watching a heap of you choking on it

5 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Alison View Post
    It's this para in Sinderberry's letter that I find really quite intriguing (and telling?):

"We want to be known as a club where players develop and ultimately become better rugby players and better people, and we need our rugby program to support this, which is where Dave also excelled in the interview process."

Sounds rather like they are positioning the Force more as a training/feeder squad than a championship-winning franchise in its own right. Maybe this is the ARU's long term vision for 'the fifth SR franchise'??

I'd like to ask Mark to expand on that at the next members' forum on 21 Sept.

Anyone else have any thoughts on that para?
    Have thought this since the ARU's take-over was mooted (and even before then).
    1) The ARU, which is run by the old blazers in NSW & QLD, want the NSW & QLD teams to do well, so their teams will be the ones to whom the best players are gently nudged.
    2) The "biggest potential crowds" are in Sydney and Brisbane, but they only get big crowds if they are performing well, so from a financial viewpoint, it's imperative that those teams be successful. Therefore, they should get the best coaches/players when available.
    3) The ARU has less control over Melbourne, although that might be seen as a potential big crowd, so they won't get too involved.
    4) Canberra has historically punched above it's weight in success, but is unlikely to garner larger crowds, even if a larger stadium were available, as they don't sell out their 20,000 even when successful.
    5) Therefore, the Force makes a perfect place for the placement of upcoming, but not fully developed, talent or players not wanted by other franchises but might be useful to still have in Australia for Wallabies eligibility if injuries strike. After all, if the player becomes useful, he can always be given the nod to move to NSW or QLD when his contract comes up for renewal.

Although, if that was the purpose of the Force to the ARU, you'd think we'd be given coaches who are specifically trained in bringing the best out of young talent and teaching them to play a style of rugby which best makes use of that talent. That this doesn't appear to be the case makes me think that the ARU is more cock-up than conspiracy!

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The InnFORCEr View Post
    Look forward to baking a massive humble pie in a year or two and watching a heap of you choking on it
    Yeah nah the same thing was said about Foley and look how that turned out this is just sad from the Force.

“Everyone knows whether it’s rugby, politics or whatever, front-rowers should rule the world, so to have a hooker at the helm makes sense,” Nathan Charles Western Force & Wallabies Hooker.

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheikh View Post
    5) Therefore, the Force makes a perfect place for the placement of upcoming, but not fully developed, talent or players not wanted by other franchises but might be useful to still have in Australia for Wallabies eligibility if injuries strike. After all, if the player becomes useful, he can always be given the nod to move to NSW or QLD when his contract comes up for renewal.

Although, if that was the purpose of the Force to the ARU, you'd think we'd be given coaches who are specifically trained in bringing the best out of young talent and teaching them to play a style of rugby which best makes use of that talent. That this doesn't appear to be the case makes me think that the ARU is more cock-up than conspiracy!
    With you all the way. Would rather watch a team of solid up and comers performing as a team then the disjointed set up of a few of each of the last picks. Might be hard to win SR title, but we should do pretty well in NRC and ultimately secured survival of the Force

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    THE Western Force have confirmed the appointment of David Wessels as the club’s new head coach for the next two Super Rugby seasons.

Wessels was appointed on the recommendation of the Force’s coach selection panel, which included senior management from both the Force and the Australian Rugby Union.

The 33-year-old has been coaching at an elite level for nine years, including four seasons with the Force and one at the helm of the Perth Spirit who he guided to the final of the 2014 National Rugby Championship.

Wessels stepped in as interim head coach last season after Michael Foley stood down.

“This opportunity is an amazing privilege,” Wessels said.
    “Not only because I love the game of rugby but also because I am so passionate about the Western Force and the people of Perth.

“Our two kids were born here in WA, and we feel very much a part of this community, so to be able to play a significant role in the sporting landscape here is a real honour.

“What we want to do going forward is develop a fantastic learning environment that people want to be a part of and that embraces the unique pioneering spirit that Western Australians will be proud of.”

RugbyWA CEO and Force general manager Mark Sinderberry said the appointment of Wessels was the right decision for the future of the club.

“The panel reviewed a number of strong candidates, but it was decided that Dave was the right man to take this club forward,” Sinderberry said.

“Firstly, he is a man that holds dearly the values of the game of rugby, which is critical to allow the club to move forward, to fully embrace our rugby community and our passionate fan base.

“Secondly we want to be known as a club where players develop and ultimately become better rugby players and better people, and we need a program to do so, which is where Dave excelled in the interview process.

“He has the full support of the playing group and has already developed strong relationships on which he can now build.

“What stands out most though is Dave’s passion for the game of rugby and this club.

“The fact that he had offers from other Super Rugby franchises, but decided to put his heart and soul into this job speaks volumes about the character and drive he possesses.”

A South African, Wessels began his professional coaching career as a consultant for the Stormers in 2008 before taking the assistant coaching role at the University of Cape Town, winning the Varsity Cup and the Western Province League competition for the first time in 37 years.

After 11 years in Cape Town he moved to the Brumbies in 2012 as their defence consultant. Under his guidance, they went on to have the second best defensive record in Super Rugby.
    In 2013 he was lured west and appointed defence consultant for the Force, and then the senior assistant coach for the 2014, 2015 and 2016 seasons.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/rugby/f...db9152a5534d01

Player
    vCash
    Name:  MemeGen3.jpg
Views: 503
Size:  46.8 KB

I guest this is how many of us feel the Force is treating us. Committed to mediocrity.

Senior Player
    vCash
    Graham Henry was not a professional rugby player. He became a high school teacher yet he lead the all blacks to win the 2011 world cup. It is not necessarily the best players that make the best coaches.

Congratulations to Dave and I wish him all the best for the tough task ahead

vCash
    Wessels would not worry about the length od hi contract as he can now say he has coached top level Super rugby and regardless of how the force go he can say at the end of his time here he was made redundant while trying to improve the force.. I now believe what I was told by a very high member of NZRFU just before the announcing of the Super rugby contract was revelled.. The information was if this conference system fails the super 18 will be abolished in after 2018.. I was called an idiot for having such a negative point of view about anything the ARU did. But here it is the writing on the wall.. All countries were informed that the team number would be reduced. That why NZRFU pump big $ into the comp to show NZ rugby won't be the failing teams.. Watch out it will be another yr that the % NZ teams will be strong..

Senior Player
    vCash
    In press conference Dave announced that 2 experienced assistant coaches will be joining the force in the next few days. Interesting to see who they will be.

Last edited by volvo; 07-09-16 at 10:52.

vCash
    Great press conference, Dave really came across well and appears to be a great selection by the commitee.

For those that have not yet seen it is worth the minute or two to listen.

Force facebook

Simon Cron: “People talk about winning and losing all the time and they are critical, but there’s a process to get into and it’s the ability to stay present, do your job and execute skills under pressure.”

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast