Page 12 of 24 FirstFirst ... 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 22 ... LastLast

Thread: Pressure on ASIC to investigate Rugby Australia’s Melbourne Rebels dealings

Champion
    vCash
    That is great in theory and I hate the ARU or whatever crap they call themselves but isn't getting players going to be even more difficult with no chance to play for their country?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Internet Troll
    I am an Internet Troll
    Please ignore my posts

vCash

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Jules View Post
    That is great in theory and I hate the ARU or whatever crap they call themselves but isn't getting players going to be even more difficult with no chance to play for their country?
    Nope. The fastest route (and least competitive) for any rugby player in the world to become a professional player will be in WA; ie:

1) Play for a Perth Club,

2) Be selected and play for the Perth Spirit in the NRC, and

3) be selected in the Force IPRC team.

The numbers competing for spots will be way less than anywhere else in the top 15 nations in the world at least and as the IPRC team will be made up of a lot of Perth club players (with a few imported stars) then rugby players with brains should be booking their flights to Perth and aligning with a local club.

If you are a good player in Sydney or Brisbane or NZ you will be competing for a spot in your local provincial team (so that you can be viewed as a possible pro player for a Super XV side) with at least 10-15 quality guys who also play in your position. Come to Perth and you'll realistically be competing in a group of 3-4 guys max for each spot. I know where I'd go.

Jules, your question is very valid. The penny just hasn't dropped amongst the Aussie / NZ rugby community yet that the above is the reality (subject to the IPRC happening this year of course). Rugby WA need to start promoting this fact the moment the IPRC thing is confirmed as actually happening with a solid timeframe.

The IPRC backers need their squad and potential squad members playing rugby week in week out in the lead up to NRC and that's where the Perth Club Comp comes in.

If players want to player for the Eastern States teams then they will be scouted from WA or they will move themselves to Sydney or Brisbane.

If they want to play pro or a higher quality semi-pro or amateur rugby in the big wide world then Perth is a perfect spring board. You can make a very good living playing in Div 3 in France and have an amazing life experience. You may even come back with a french wife!

Rugby players, match officials, support staff and coaches etc will have amazing opportunities in the IPRC.

People need to move their brains through 90 degrees and they'll see that the ARU will not be a big player in 3 years time. They should not be a consideration every time Rugby WA wants to make a decision.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by Darkness; 20-01-18 at 21:12.
    I am really a Palmyra troll.

Apprentice
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkness View Post
    Nope. The fastest route (and least competitive) for any rugby player in the world to become a professional player will be in WA; ie:

1) Play for a Perth Club,

2) Be selected and play for the Perth Spirit in the NRC, and

3) be selected in the Force IPRC team.

The numbers competing for spots will be way less than anywhere else in the top 15 nations in the world at least and as the IPRC team will be made up of a lot of Perth club players (with a few imported stars) then rugby players with brains should be booking their flights to Perth and aligning with a local club.

If you are a good player in Sydney or Brisbane or NZ you will be competing for a spot in your local provincial team (so that you can be viewed as a possible pro player for a Super XV side) with at least 10-15 quality guys who also play in your position. Come to Perth and you'll realistically be competing in a group of 3-4 guys max for each spot. I know where I'd go.

Jules, your question is very valid. The penny just hasn't dropped amongst the Aussie / NZ rugby community yet that the above is the reality (subject to the IPRC happening this year of course). Rugby WA need to start promoting this fact the moment the IPRC thing is confirmed as actually happening with a solid timeframe.

The IPRC backers need their squad and potential squad members playing rugby week in week out in the lead up to NRC and that's where the Perth Club Comp comes in.

If players want to player for the Eastern States teams then they will be scouted from WA or they will move themselves to Sydney or Brisbane.

If they want to play pro or a higher quality semi-pro or amateur rugby in the big wide world then Perth is a perfect spring board. You can make a very good living playing in Div 3 in France and have an amazing life experience. You may even come back with a french wife!

Rugby players, match officials, support staff and coaches etc will have amazing opportunities in the IPRC.

People need to move their brains through 90 degrees and they'll see that the ARU will not be a big player in 3 years time. They should not be a consideration every time Rugby WA wants to make a decision.
    By that argument the IPRC would be lower quality. While the stated aim is to match super or top 14 quality.
    I get the desire to break away but causing a coup and overthrow would be better.
    You need IRB sanctioning which defacto means ARU.
    Get that, make the IPRC as good as it can be and make it difficult for the ARU/RA by being a success.
    Come 2021 you'll hold all the cards.
    Realistically your going to let any solvent clubs into the post super comp; so the rebels being included isn't an issue, they will sink pretty quick when left to their own devices and finances.
    It's easy for me to say these things as an outsider but I'm guessing RugbyWA are thinking similarly.

Internet Troll
    I am an Internet Troll
    Please ignore my posts

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmydubs View Post
    By that argument the IPRC would be lower quality. While the stated aim is to match super or top 14 quality.
    I get the desire to break away but causing a coup and overthrow would be better.
    You need IRB sanctioning which defacto means ARU.
    Get that, make the IPRC as good as it can be and make it difficult for the ARU/RA by being a success.
    Come 2021 you'll hold all the cards.
    Realistically your going to let any solvent clubs into the post super comp; so the rebels being included isn't an issue, they will sink pretty quick when left to their own devices and finances.
    It's easy for me to say these things as an outsider but I'm guessing RugbyWA are thinking similarly.
    No doubt that in year 1 the IPRC will be less of a standard than Super Rugby (as was the Indian Premier League T20 cricket in its 1st year) but with the hype that goes with the IPRC (entertainment being promised) and the players / sponsors will be attracted, the trend will be upwards. The main thing is the competition being well structured in the first instance inc financial backers and well broadcast and then some momentum will build. The quality will grow with time and as long as the players are being paid good dollars then it will happen.

This is a once in a lifetime chance for Asian Rugby; its a huge floater pass that needs to be intercepted. Its also a gift to World Rugby and they should see it as such - an opportunity to supercharge their regular development programmes in the region. IPRC will do them a big favour. In theory World Rugby should stare the ARU down on this but unfortunately politics will play a role.

IPRC as a concept was about the WA time zone so I get a bit miffed with discussion about the Eastern States thinking that they might be in any way involved irrespective what happens with the Fox broadcast arrangements. Reds and Tahs etc should not be involved in any way in the IPRC in 2018 or in 10 years time. The underlying thought that we are thinking about the future of Australian rugby is part of history.

The ARU determined by their words and actions that WA is not part of Australian Rugby (except as a token out station) so we should think that way. I no longer consider WA as part of Australia and am very clear about the opportunities ahead. Our future opportunities have increased tenfold and thanks to our time zone and Twiggy's vision and generosity.

Various coaches and players from Australia will get involved along the way as they will naturally see the opportunity to advance their careers but it may be via a team based in say Shanghai and not Perth or Brisbane.

The ARU is at its weakest right now; we must not allow them to recover the political, financial or moral high ground.

6 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by Darkness; 21-01-18 at 13:51.
    I am really a Palmyra troll.

vCash
    It would be nice if the ATO investigate special category visa holders

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/mone...21-h0lpeg.html

'I may be a Senator but I am not stupid'

https://omny.fm/shows/the-alan-jones-breakfast-show/cameron-clyne

Link to Senate Report http://www.aph.gov.au/senate_ca

https://www.change.org/p/rugby-australia-petition-for-cameron-clyne-to-resign-as-chairman-of-the-rugby-australia-board

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bakkies View Post
    It would be nice if the ATO investigate special category visa holders

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/mone...21-h0lpeg.html
    Wouldn't put much stock in that report. The population of Oz is around 24 mill. According to that story, 20 million of us are not citizens?

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkness View Post
    No doubt that in year 1 the IPRC will be less of a standard than Super Rugby (as was the Indian Premier League T20 cricket in its 1st year) but with the hype that goes with the IPRC (entertainment being promised) and the players / sponsors will be attracted, the trend will be upwards. The main thing is the competition being well structured in the first instance inc financial backers and well broadcast and then some momentum will build. The quality will grow with time and as long as the players are being paid good dollars then it will happen.
    Assuming the IPRC is fair dinkum about local representation, squad depth will always be the challenge for the IPRC compared to Super Rugby. This is where it will be important to open the purse strings to attract genuinely world-class marquee players to bolster those squads and ensure the standard of the competition is of a level to be taken seriously at an international level. This will be important if, for example, they want to sell the competition as a chance for Pacific Island or returning Australian players to earn big money without conflicting with their national team duties.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by beige View Post
    Assuming the IPRC is fair dinkum about local representation, squad depth will always be the challenge for the IPRC compared to Super Rugby. This is where it will be important to open the purse strings to attract genuinely world-class marquee players to bolster those squads and ensure the standard of the competition is of a level to be taken seriously at an international level. This will be important if, for example, they want to sell the competition as a chance for Pacific Island or returning Australian players to earn big money without conflicting with their national team duties.
    I don't know that I'm all that fussed about the overall quality of the individual players, it's more about the excitement of the games.

Let's face it, the Tahs have had Wallabies sitting upon the bench for years by watching them play rugby is like swimming in shit....mixed with concrete.

If they get list management right, they'll be able to cope with the best players in Australia going to Melbourne. As long as the games are close and exciting I'd be cool with it.

C'mon the

Apprentice
    vCash
    Does anyone know if ASIC is REALLY going to investigate ARU, or RA, or whatever they call themselves nowadays? I have read a lot of theories and information on this site, but I cannot find anything definitive regarding this!
    What we need is for the entire Board to resign in ignominy - never to be heard of again! But, the new Chairwoman should be given the opportunity to prove herself when she comes to WA. (when??)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    I don't know that I'm all that fussed about the overall quality of the individual players, it's more about the excitement of the games.

Let's face it, the Tahs have had Wallabies sitting upon the bench for years by watching them play rugby is like swimming in shit....mixed with concrete.

If they get list management right, they'll be able to cope with the best players in Australia going to Melbourne. As long as the games are close and exciting I'd be cool with it.
    I see that Hong Kong is now on board with the IPRC which is important as they are the strongest Asian union after Japan.

https://www.iprugby.com/endorsements/

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

https://www.change.org/p/rugby-australia-petition-for-cameron-clyne-to-resign-as-chairman-of-the-rugby-australia-board

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rabble View Post
    Does anyone know if ASIC is REALLY going to investigate ARU, or RA, or whatever they call themselves nowadays? I have read a lot of theories and information on this site, but I cannot find anything definitive regarding this!
    What we need is for the entire Board to resign in ignominy - never to be heard of again! But, the new Chairwoman should be given the opportunity to prove herself when she comes to WA. (when??)
    From reading the latest Nick Taylor articles on this matter yes they are.

vCash
    What ASIC need to determine is whether they breached the Corporations Act or were just supremely inept and incompetent.

Proudly Western Australian; Proudly supporting Western Australian rugby

vCash
    They are also looking at whether they breached their fiduciary duties. I have not known an organisation that signs off meeting minutes four months after the meeting actually occurred.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post

Why bother at all then? You can get the same for free at a club game or an NRC game (potentially even branded as the Western Force in the latter case).

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rabble View Post
    But, the new Chairwoman should be given the opportunity to prove herself when she comes to WA. (when??)
    The Chairwoman has not changed, Clyne is still in that position, Raelene Castle however is the new CEO and replaced Pulver.

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

Page 12 of 24 FirstFirst ... 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 22 ... LastLast