Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Super Rugby saga: Rebels players prepare to jump off sinking ship

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash

Super Rugby saga: Rebels players prepare to jump off sinking ship

June 28, 2017 2:16pm|
    by Justin Chadwick, AAP|
    Source: FOX SPORTS

THE Western Force have continued their signing frenzy, but the future of the Melbourne Rebels appears increasingly bleak as the franchise’s best players prepare to jump ship.

Winger Chance Peni became the latest star to re-sign with the Force on Wednesday, joining the likes of Wallabies newcomer Richard Hardwick and veteran prop Ben Daley as other players to have put pen to paper over the past week.

It’s understood the Force have another six players who will re-sign soon, while stars such as Dane Haylett-Petty, Billy Meakes, Ben McCalman, Curtis Rona, and Pek Cowan already have existing contracts for next season.

In contrast, the Rebels are battling to keep the core of their squad together.

Fullback Jack Debreczeni has signed with Japan’s second tier team Honda Heat, while Mitch Inman will link up with French Top 14 side Oyonnax.

Wallabies prop Toby Smith will join the Hurricanes in order to be closer to his young son, while Wallaby Sean McMahon has reportedly signed a deal to play in Japan.

Rebels coach Tony McGahan will also depart the club at season’s end.

The ARU will push ahead with plans to axe either the Rebels or Force.

The Force initially looked to be the most vulnerable of the two.

But it now appears the Rebels are the ones facing an uphill battle to survive, despite owner Andrew Cox previously stating he won’t sell the licence back to the ARU.

Force coach Dave Wessels said he was confident that he could turn the team into title contenders by 2019 if the franchise survives the axe.

“There’s two real goals. The one goal is to win Super Rugby. And the other goal is to create Wallabies,” Wessels said.

“We want to create the best environment for players to develop their game and reach their potential.”

Wessels has been floated as a possible replacement for McGahan if the Force were to be axed.

But the rookie coach isn’t giving it any thought.

“Obviously it’s very flattering,” Wessels said.

“But I’ve got a job here I really like, and I’ve got a team that I really care about, and this is the job I want.

“And we’re going to fight tooth and nail to try to keep rugby in WA.”

Peni thrust himself into Wallabies calculations with a blistering start to the season, scoring three tries in six games.

But the winger’s hopes of earning a call-up for the June Test window were dashed when he tore his groin in the round seven win over the Kings.

Peni, who has re-signed with the Force for another two years, is on track to return for the July 7 clash with the Rebels at nib Stadium.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/rugby/s...d6c1907705e8e2

So the pendulum swings back our way today!

5 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

Player
    vCash
    I really believe that reality is starting to dawn on the players that the Force have an Alliance agreement which will stand up in court.

If it wasn't then ARU would have kicked us out already, knowing that they would have been safe of any court action being taken against them.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Champion
    vCash
    So nice to read something positive and seriously I think the ARU have to admit that the Force should stay!!

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    I'll be happy if we survive. But not happy to see another franchise go. If one is going no matter what, I think the Melbourne Brumbies would be the best outcome.

12 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    I read that the Tony Cox are meant to be having some mediation meetings this week as well?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    “But I’ve got a job here I really like, and I’ve got a team that I really care about, and this is the job I want.

“And we’re going to fight tooth and nail to try to keep rugby in WA.”

Good words Dave, we like having you here too!

Hang in there and keep fighting

9 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Champion
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    I'll be happy if we survive. But not happy to see another franchise go. If one is going no matter what, I think the Melbourne Brumbies would be the best outcome.
    I am not opposed to Melbourne having a professional rugby program, i am opposed to the way their current franchise has been setup, operated on vast amounts of excess money no other franchise receives, the underhanded dealings of the ARU to set up this franchise with the view to kill off the Force and the lack of underlying structure to support player development.

6 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    I initially read this news story with a sense of "at last some positive news - the slight possibility that we're safe etc.."

Like many have said, I hate what it's done to the fans and players/famalies of both States. Regardless of what underhanded dealings that have gone on at the Rebels, I won't take any solace from them being cut. I like to think the genuine Rebels rugby supporter would feel the same if we go. It's like playing russian roulette with your mates. It should never have got to this point.

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SinBin View Post
    It's like playing russian roulette with your mates.
    When playing russian roulette I find it's best if the gun is pointed at someone else's head.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by valzc View Post
    I read that the Tony Cox are meant to be having some mediation meetings this week as well?
    If the mediation meetings go well - and the deal is done. There will be no need for the arbitration with RugbyWa in the coming weeks.

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

vCash
    No real information here, I'd almost say this article is click bait.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalahard View Post
    I am not opposed to Melbourne having a professional rugby program, i am opposed to the way their current franchise has been setup, operated on vast amounts of excess money no other franchise receives, the underhanded dealings of the ARU to set up this franchise with the view to kill off the Force and the lack of underlying structure to support player development.
    Pretty sure most people feel that way. You'd hope some lessons have been learned. But I wouldn't stake money on it.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    So this was posted by a guy on G & G who recieved an email from the Rebels.

You're a Foundation Member of the Melbourne Rebels, you have been with us since day one and that is truly significant.

So for our last game of 2017, we would like to honour your contribution to the Club with a Legends Lap of AAMI Park.

Join your fellow Foundation Members as you walk a lap of the field prior to kick off to celebrate all you've done for the Rebels since day one, 2011.

If you would like to join us on Friday 14th July for the Legends Lap, when the Rebels take on the Jaguares, please register your details via the link below.
    I wanted to reply with laughter over such whole load of wank but then started wondering, what would be the reasoning behind this gesture? Last hurrah before the wind up?

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    No they did it last year as well

Force are doing the same on 14 July, check your inbox for the invite if you were a Foundation Member.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    Well that article from Justin Chadwick has been up for 24 hours and no other journo has followed up. Just another made-up column filler, more than likely.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast