Thread: Petaia and Gordon to debut, Ashley-Cooper returns, Toomua at 10 in Padova

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash

Petaia and Gordon to debut, Ashley-Cooper returns, Toomua at 10 in Padova

Today at 9:30 PM International
    by Beth Newman

Jordan Petaia and Jake Gordon will make their Wallabies debuts in Padova as Michael Cheika backs new faces to get the job started against Italy.

The pair are among seven changes to the 23 for the second Spring Tour clash, not quite the overhaul some might have considered with a host of last week's starters retained but certainly this is a lineup with a host of fresh blood getting the chance to show their wares.

Petaia will become the youngest Australian debutant since James O'Connor in 2008 and the third-youngest ever, behind Brian Ford and O'Connor, when he runs out on the wing, ironically sharing the job on the edge with the most-capped player in the squad, Adam Ashley-Cooper.

Gordon has also been thrown straight into a starting spot, with Nick Phipps dropping out of the 23 as his Waratahs teammate earns a debut, while Will Genia will keep his chances of a 100th Test at Twickenham alive after being named on the bench.

Ashley-Cooper hasn't played a Test in more than two years but rejoined the Wallabies squad a fortnight ago in the first step towards a chance at a fourth Rugby World Cup berth.

Their combination means Israel Folau returns to fullback for the first time since the first Bledisloe in Sydney.

Matt To'omua will finally take the main playmaking reins for the first time since his return to the Wallabies setup, pushing Bernard Foley to 12 in Italy and Kurtley Beale onto the pine.

The To'omua-Foley pairing is the only combination of the trio that hasn't really been examined since To'omua's return and this will be the first time Beale has come off the bench in a Test since the 2015 Rugby World Cup.

Foley last played 12 back in 2016 when Quade Cooper was starting at 10 during that Rugby Championship.

Tolu Latu has been dropped from the side, with Folau Fainga'a and Tatafu Polota-Nau taking the rake duties, but Cheika has kept his first-choice second row in Izack Rodda and Adam Coleman.

Interestingly, Cheika has also opted against giving two of his hardest workers in David Pocock and Michael Hooper a rest in the clash, starting the backrow workhorses together with Jack Dempsey for the second week in a row.

On the bench, Jermaine Ainsley, Rory Arnold and Pete Samu have all earned a recall to the 23.

He has left youngsters Tom Banks and Jack Maddocks out of the 23.

The Wallabies take on Italy on Saturday November 17 in Padova, kicking off at 3pm local and Sunday 1am AEDT, LIVE on beIN Sports and SBS.

TEAM
    IN: Folau Fainga’a, Jake Gordon Jordan Petaia, Adam Ashley-Cooper, Jermaine Ainsley, Rory Arnold, Pete Samu
    OUT: Tolu Latu, Sefa Naivalu, Ned Hanigan, Nick Phipps, Jack Maddocks, Rob Simmons, Allan Alaalatoa

Wallabies to face Italy
    1. Scott Sio (53 Tests)
    2. Folau Fainga’a (6 Tests)
    3. Taniela Tupou (10 Tests)
    4. Izack Rodda (15 Tests)
    5. Adam Coleman (29 Tests)
    6. Jack Dempsey (8 Tests)
    7. Michael Hooper (c) (89 Tests)
    8. David Pocock (76 Tests)
    9. Jake Gordon*
    10. Matt To'omua (40 Tests)
    11. Jordan Petaia*
    12. Bernard Foley (66 Tests)
    13. Samu Kerevi (23 Tests)
    14. Adam Ashley-Cooper (116 Tests)
    15. Israel Folau (71 Tests)

Reserves
    16. Tatafu Polota-Nau (87 Tests)
    17. Jermaine Ainsley (1 Test)
    18. Sekope Kepu (101 Tests)
    19. Rory Arnold (19 Tests)
    20. Pete Samu (7 Tests)
    21. Will Genia (98 Tests)
    22. Kurtley Beale (82 Tests)
    23. Dane Haylett-Petty (29 Tests)

http://www.rugby.com.au/news/2018/11...m-announcement

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    Chicken shit gutless wonder

Can't resist doing a Quade and playing Foley at 12 to ruin Toomua shot at 10, plus he's gone for starting locks and loosies against ITALY he is running scared

Every back is out of position. Toomua is a 12 (but want to see him at 10 instead of Foley). Foley is a 10 not a 12. Petaia is a 13 not 11. Kerevi is a 12 not a 13. AAC is a pensioner oops I mean a 13 not a 14. And it has been clearly shown Izzy is NOT a 15 he is a 14.

Jesus wept What a cock up.

9 Gordon 10 Toomua 11 Naivalu 12 Kerevi 13 Petaia 14 Izzy 15 Banks Foley and Beale can cover everywhere on the bench

Loosies for Italy should be 6 Dempsey 7 Samu 8 Valetini from this ill advised squad

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    The long sobs of autumn's violins wound my heart with a monotonous languor

vCash
    Last time we were in Padova, Quade saved our bacon, or pancetta, if you will

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by chibi; 15-11-18 at 22:12.

Japan and the Pacific Islands for Aussie Super 9's!

Let's have one of these in WA! Click this link: Saitama Super Arena - New Perth Stadium?

vCash
    Cheika’s job is so secure he could have drafted me into the squad and still be ok till the WC!
    RC has said no matter what the results he’s safe till then!
    https://www.foxsports.com.au/rugby/w...154c3f34178631

May the FORCE be with you!

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sittingbison View Post
    Chicken shit gutless wonder

Can't resist doing a Quade and playing Foley at 12 to ruin Toomua shot at 10, plus he's gone for starting locks and loosies against ITALY he is running scared

Every back is out of position. Toomua is a 12 (but want to see him at 10 instead of Foley). Foley is a 10 not a 12. Petaia is a 13 not 11. Kerevi is a 12 not a 13. AAC is a pensioner oops I mean a 13 not a 14. And it has been clearly shown Izzy is NOT a 15 he is a 14.

Jesus wept What a cock up.

9 Gordon 10 Toomua 11 Naivalu 12 Kerevi 13 Petaia 14 Izzy 15 Banks Foley and Beale can cover everywhere on the bench

Loosies for Italy should be 6 Dempsey 7 Samu 8 Valetini from this ill advised squad
    The resting players policy does come in until next year, so why not burn them out. It is a joke. I agree, these younger players need some big time experience, Aisnley and Arnold could alsp have started for Sio & Colman, but a win is more important to Cheika, vey very sad.

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    So ... Northern Hemisphere still on for that clean sweep this weekend ?!

"The whole point of rugby is that it is, first and foremost, a state of mind, a spirit." - Jean-Pierre Rives