Thread: Wendell linked to Crusaders - in Wales

Legend Contributor Flamethrower's Avatar
    vCash

Wendell linked to Crusaders - in Wales

Wendell linked to Crusaders - in Wales
    By ANDREW WEBSTER and GLENN JACKSON - SMH | Monday, 08 September 2008
    Wendell linked to Crusaders - in Wales - New Zealand's source for sport, rugby, cricket & league news on Stuff.co.nz

Wendell Sailor is poised to walk out on the final year of his contract with St George Illawarra to join the Celtic Crusaders in the UK Super League.

The Sydney Morning Herald understands the 34-year-old winger has become a target of the Welsh club, which will be elevated to the Super League next year.

Sailor has one season left of his $300,000 two-year deal with the Dragons but it is believed the club will not stand in his way if he wants to finish his career with a lucrative contract overseas.

He has recently been linked with French rugby union and making a 12-week cameo appearance during the NRL off-season.

While the Dragons were prepared to let him explore that opportunity, it is believed negotiations have reached a stalemate between player and club because it wants Sailor to return before Christmas.

But sources say the veteran dual international is likely to join the exodus to the UK after one season back in rugby league following his two-year cocaine ban.

"Who are they?" said Dragons chief executive Peter Doust when asked if he knew about Sailor playing for the Crusaders.

"Wendell has expressed a desire to play rugby union in France during the off-season, but I haven't heard about him playing rugby league for anyone else. I thought he wanted to return and make a name for himself in the NRL."

Asked if he would deny Sailor the chance to play overseas in the twilight of his career, Doust said: "It would be wrong to comment about it because it's speculation. But if he did want to go, we would look at the situation on its merits. That's the nature of the game at the moment."

Sailor could not be contacted yesterday and all his manager, Les Ross, would say was: "I don't believe that's the case. Everyone's suddenly become interested in him."

The Crusaders are coached by former Broncos assistant coach John Dixon, who was at the club at the same time as Sailor, and captained by former Brisbane forward Darren Mapp. The club boasts a score of Australian players, including former Sharks and Cowboys utility Josh Hannay.

Sailor would be the perfect marketing tool for the club in its first year in Europe's premier rugby league competition.

While Sailor has appreciated the Dragons throwing him a lifeline after serving his suspension for his positive drug test while playing for the NSW Waratahs, he needs to explore every available option. It is no secret that the suspension hurt him financially and, at 34, his career is coming to an end.

"I'd be silly not to have a look at an off-season over there," Sailor said in an interview last week when asked about playing French rugby.

"Obviously my mistake cost me financially. But I also think now is the time to do what my family wants and enjoy it. My wife is pretty keen to go to France and live over there for a few years. I'd find it hard to leave the Dragons after they'd backed me and supported me but, to be honest, my wife is the boss."

Meanwhile, Brisbane have lured former St George Illawarra hooker Aaron Gorrell back to the NRL as a replacement for their departing rake Michael Ennis.

Gorrell, currently at French-based Super League club Catalans Dragons, has agreed to a one-year deal with the Broncos, briefly reversing the trend of players ditching the NRL for the increased money on offer in Europe.

Gorrell, who kicked a sideline conversion to defeat the Broncos in 2006 while with St George Illawarra, had an option in his favour with Catalans for next season but after an SOS from Brisbane, he opted for a return.

Ennis is off to the Bulldogs next season, while PJ Marsh has struggled to keep a spot in Brisbane's top 17, even though he represented Queensland this season.

Catalans, however, have not lost out completely, after signing Redcliffe halfback Shane Perry, the playmaker in Brisbane's 2006 premiership triumph, to a one-year deal.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Posted via space

Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

vCash
    Isn't loyalty grand?!

vCash
    SBW has started the trend for leaguies

Be There. Be Heard. Be The Force Behind The Force

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by force addict View Post
    SBW has started the trend for leaguies
    .....no.....the trend has been going for years.

vCash
    my bad? i dont actually follow League so how was i to know

vCash
    my bad? i dont actually follow League so how was i to know
    Well the players that came to the Tahs and Reds about 6 years ago? (Tuqiri, Rogers, Sailor)

vCash
    dell is 34 and well past his prime, he needs retirement money, hardly a huge defection here. And he isn't going to play union?
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BLR View Post
    Well the players that came to the Tahs and Reds about 6 years ago? (Tuqiri, Rogers, Sailor)
    Quality players they were at Union as well
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post
    Quality players they were at Union as well
    Posted via Mobile Device
    They were when they first came....

vCash
    don't you get it BLR? I meant SBW started the trend for leaguies to walk out on their last year of a contract

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BLR View Post
    They were when they first came....

Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    don't you get it BLR? I meant SBW started the trend for leaguies to walk out on their last year of a contract
    By the sounds of it Wendell had a get out clause in his contract which is an entirely different matter.

And if you want to play precedent on walking out on your code we can go back to the Union/League split if you really want...
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post

Posted via Mobile Device
    And they weren't? Don't let the present influence your view of the past. Lote was very good up to and including the 03 World cup, Rogers made some very good plays throughout his union career, Wendell only showed glimpses but was the most rubbish out of the three.

Legend Contributor Flamethrower's Avatar
    vCash
    Lote was good until everyone worked him out. Believing all the hype thrown at him didn't help. Doesn't matter how much smoke is blown up your arse, it's just smoke.

Rogers was never going to be more than a utility player. He was quite good at a few positions but there were players who were much better in each.

Wendell was............................................... ............................

Posted via space

Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Flamethrower View Post

Wendell was............................................... ............................
    Good material for Roy and HG on 'The Cream'

And that Bundy ad where he was in a press conference with the bear feeding him the answers.